PDA

View Full Version : Checking Scope Rings and Bases

HarryToolips
08-15-2015, 07:23 AM
So after every 20 rounds or so out of my .30-06 I check the tightness of my scope rings and base..I apply a very light consistent pressure when checking so I don't strip em, but the odd slip happens and a couple are just starting to strip...am I checking too often?? I don't want to strip them anymore, just wondering if checking them once a year, or every say 200 rounds would be sufficient??? Thanks all....

brian
08-15-2015, 07:32 AM
I don't check mine at all unless there is a problem. Blue loctite helps too.

adriaticum
08-15-2015, 07:41 AM
Loctitty mang

Wentrot
08-15-2015, 07:46 AM
X3 on loctite. I have had them decide to come loose at the worst time in the past

Daybreak
08-15-2015, 07:49 AM
If installed properly originally: clean threads, tiny smidgeon of blue Loctite and torqued correctly, they should remain tight for years.

Here's a trick I use: there is a product available at most automotive shops, I call it Torque Seal or Witness Mark. It comes in a tube about the size of your pinky finger and is available in an assortment of colours. It is a paint with the consistency of toothpaste and is used to mark bolts in relation to the part to which it is attached. You just put a small dash of it spanning the edge of ring screw and ring body. If left alone for 6 hours it will dry to a hard surface and not come off under extreme conditions and handling. With a quick glance you can visually tell if any screw has backed off as the dash of Torque seal will develop a crack or appear misaligned. I use the orange colour.

It's not expensive and prevents a person from wrenching on the screws when not required.

Another trick for tight screws is to take the applicable hex key or screw driver and heat the tip with a torch. Once hot, hold the bit into the screw fitting and allow the heat to transfer into the screw. This helps to break the bond of previously installed Loctite.

Threads are either stripped or not. There is no half way, particularly on fasteners that small. If you have troubles with your attach points you should rectify them 100 % now or it will bite you at the worst time.

pin_head
08-15-2015, 08:08 AM
Set it and forget it. With quality mounts that are properly installed you shouldn't have to worry.

Brad

M.Dean
08-15-2015, 08:45 AM
Bout the only time I check my mounts or bases is when I see a screw miss'in or the scope dangles to one side or the other of the rifle! Then, in most cases I simply pound a match stick or a small twig into the hole, seems to work for me??? Sure, my rifle shoots 3 and a half feet to the left, but I just aim 3 and a half feet to the right of the animal, and the odd time I hit one!

HarryToolips
08-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Good to know, thanks guys...ya it was originally installed with Loctite..it hasn't given me any trouble, I just thought with the immense vibration etc with shooting a rifle that it would be wise to check the rings/base every so often...guess I thought wrong:grin:..

HarryToolips
08-15-2015, 09:15 AM
Bout the only time I check my mounts or bases is when I see a screw miss'in or the scope dangles to one side or the other of the rifle! Then, in most cases I simply pound a match stick or a small twig into the hole, seems to work for me??? Sure, my rifle shoots 3 and a half feet to the left, but I just aim 3 and a half feet to the right of the animal, and the odd time I hit one!
LOL you git er done!

Jagermeister
08-15-2015, 10:22 AM
A small in/lb torque wrench comes in handy when tightening the screws. I take up the torque in very small increments alternating between the screws.
This is the tool I use.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/718023/wheeler-engineering-fat-firearm-accurizing-torque-torque-wrench-screwdriver

Off to the range. I need some therapy and relaxation.

Salmon Belly
08-15-2015, 10:14 PM
x2 on the Fat wrench.

I've had a few very experienced shooters say locktite isn't necessary if you torque your rings and bases down to the proper specs. FWIW.

SB

Salmon Belly
08-15-2015, 10:16 PM
So after every 20 rounds or so out of my .30-06 I check the tightness of my scope rings and base..I apply a very light consistent pressure when checking so I don't strip em, but the odd slip happens and a couple are just starting to strip...am I checking too often?? I don't want to strip them anymore, just wondering if checking them once a year, or every say 200 rounds would be sufficient??? Thanks all....

If you locktite them, then later check by tightening the screws, doesn't that break the locktite seal and defeat the purpose?

landphil
08-15-2015, 10:51 PM
I've had a few very experienced shooters say locktite isn't necessary if you torque your rings and bases down to the proper specs. FWIW.

SB

As a mechanic, I'll agree with this, but I use some blue loctite anyway - completely dry threads can seize and bind over time when exposed to moisture, especially when dissimilar metals or stainless steel are involved, where loctite seals the threads, so will only ever stick as strong as the loctite's bond.

I check torque on my rings and bases once - immediately after I've tightened them with a dial inch-lb torque wrench. Never after. Do you check the torque on you car's head bolts before every road trip?