PDA

View Full Version : No Fishing in Fraser River

SPEYMAN
08-14-2015, 07:23 PM
Both tidal and non tidal closure due to low "forecast" by the Feds.

Alaska had so many sockeye that the price dropped to $.50 per pound and the commercial fleet stopped fishing.

So is this really a true prediction or will the price be so low that the commies won't fish? We still do not know or understand the B.S. predictions the Feds come up with.

There is and will be commercial openings in the salt water, and there will be sockeye caught, as nets cannot identify fish by species. If these predictions are so accurate, then shut down the commercial net fishery as well.

Politics should not play a part in the well being of our fisheries stocks.

Keta1969
08-14-2015, 08:04 PM
There have been no openings and none scheduled for the commercial fleet on the Fraser sockeye. The test fishing has not been great for Fraser sockeye.
There are native food fishermen in the Straits and they are keeping sockeye as they have priority over everyone else. From what I've seen it seems like there are a few sockeye around and there may yet be an opening for sport and commercial, but no matter what the forecast or the run size DFO will be very cautious because of warm water and low flows.

Glenny
08-14-2015, 08:20 PM
Which has nothing to do with why ALL salmon is shut down. Am I missing something?

Keta1969
08-14-2015, 08:26 PM
I can't speak for the Fraser River but the fishing in Campbell River area is excellent right now just can't keep sockeye.

303savage
08-14-2015, 08:29 PM
No fishing in the Fraser, does that mean everybody?

Keta1969
08-14-2015, 08:31 PM
No fishing in the Fraser, does that mean everybody?

Not likely.

tubby
08-14-2015, 08:45 PM
So dfo screwed up on the last cycle...allowed to many food and ceremonial fisheries. Weird how the returns are shit this year. Native fisheries have taken almost 9000 springs and 60000 sockeye in the last 4 weeks. Those are the numbers reported....lol. The worst part is you have Gadsen and basok writing articles in the newspaper about bottom bouncing being the main concern to our fisheries, when there has been native gill net openings in the river almost 7 days a week. Why can't these people look past there own egos and address the problem of nets in the river. That's awesome they are trying to shut down flossing, but in a few cycles there will be nothing to fish for if the netting continues.

Glenny
08-14-2015, 10:03 PM
nice......

Jack Russell
08-15-2015, 03:48 PM
Then get to work, Tubby. Use up your cash, get a loan, liquidate your belongings, hire a team of lawyers and head to court, because that is what its going to take to sort out the netting on the Fraser. It means rewriting the constitutional aspect of fish priorities. Basok and Gadsden are doing what needs to be done, and that is cleaning up recreational angling's own back yard. There would be bar fishing if there weren't snaggers out there, thats the bottom line. Obviously, you can't understand that.

So dfo screwed up on the last cycle...allowed to many food and ceremonial fisheries. Weird how the returns are shit this year. Native fisheries have taken almost 9000 springs and 60000 sockeye in the last 4 weeks. Those are the numbers reported....lol. The worst part is you have Gadsen and basok writing articles in the newspaper about bottom bouncing being the main concern to our fisheries, when there has been native gill net openings in the river almost 7 days a week. Why can't these people look past there own egos and address the problem of nets in the river. That's awesome they are trying to shut down flossing, but in a few cycles there will be nothing to fish for if the netting continues.

tubby
08-15-2015, 04:27 PM
I completely understand that. I just think there voice would be better used on bigger issues like netting than used on snagging.Did any tackle stores stop selling bouncing gear?

Jack Russell
08-15-2015, 06:47 PM
I completely understand that. I just think there voice would be better used on bigger issues like netting than used on snagging.Did any tackle stores stop selling bouncing gear?
I hear you loud and clear on the shops selling bouncing gear despite the request to fish selectively. It is madness.

TreeStandMan
08-21-2015, 10:38 AM
Now the Mamquam is closed too: http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm?pg=view_notice&DOC_ID=174785&ID=all

It's understandable, but I was planning on taking the boy there this weekend.

tubby
08-22-2015, 01:21 PM
Full native set and drift net on fraser sawmill creek to the mouth
You can jump from gill net boat to gillnet boat on lower right now

Glenny
08-22-2015, 01:39 PM
Full native set and drift net on fraser sawmill creek to the mouth
You can jump from gill net boat to gillnet boat on lower right now

So all fair game. Sockey, chinook, pinks, steelhead etal. Nice

andrewscag
08-22-2015, 05:50 PM
Apparently they're using nets with openings bigger than sockeye. Don't know who's checking though if anyone.

tubby
08-22-2015, 08:23 PM
8inch grid. On the net. You still get sockeye pinks and steelhead With that mesh size.

Glenny
08-30-2015, 04:06 PM
Looks like its back on.

Effective 00:01 hours Saturday, August 29, 2015 until December 31, 2015, you
may retain two chinook per day in Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 and 29-10. The
minimum size limit is 62 cm.

Effective 00:01 hours Saturday, August 29, 2015 until December 31, 2015, you
may retain up to four (4) chinook salmon per day only one (1) of which may be
greater than 62 cm in the tidal waters of the Fraser River.

Please note the change in the size limit in the tidal waters of the Fraser
River to only one over 62 cm rather than one over 50 cm. This change normally
takes place on September 1st annually however for simplicity in the regulations
this change will take place three days earlier this year effective with this
opening.

mr eagle
08-30-2015, 09:48 PM
Bonked a 17 lb red spring on the river today. Chrome with red top spin n glo. Saw quite a few hooked.