PDA

View Full Version : Calling cow elk

mokele mbembe
08-14-2015, 04:01 PM
Dear fellows,
my daughter has won a youth LEH tag for elk cow in 4-23A (end of September). We never hunted elk before (although had many deer), and our knowledge of it is just theoretical. I know you can call in a bull, but what calls are suitable for bringing in a cow (its a rut season)?

bassplayer
08-14-2015, 04:34 PM
I'm going to say a Lost Calf call.

bc_buckshot
08-14-2015, 04:55 PM
Not gonna be easy to just call in a cow elk unless you can convince the lead cow elk to come and rest follow. Best chance to find cow elk is know where they travel and hang out, or water source. If you can hear bull bugling then most likely theres one or many cows near by. Cows in estruses tend to keep togeter with calves. For calls same elk call you would use for a bull minus the bugles and roars. Hoochie mamms, or a double reed diaphram. Learn your vocals because you dont wanna curp and give them warning calls. Lone calf call too. Use the calls to locate and move in closer for a shot.

Mikey Rafiki
08-14-2015, 05:02 PM
I've had them come and check out a cow call, but it's gotta be gentle, no big estrous screams. You might want to try intercepting them on there way to or from the valley bottom as they are still moving back up high during the day that time of year.

wrenchhead
08-14-2015, 09:01 PM
I have had them come in to bugle like they were in a rope.

Bugle M In
08-14-2015, 09:57 PM
I have had them come in to bugle like they were in a rope.
Agree, at times a bugle will bring in cows.
A cow or calf call may work as well, but spotting them, and then stalking them would be your best bet.
Bugle while your at rest, give it some time however, 15 to 30 min, before you walk further again.
I think that is one mistake most new elk hunters make...
They don't give it enough time to have an elk walk in after calling...and quite often the elk (or other predators) will come in quiet, without a peep.

250 sav
08-15-2015, 06:33 AM
calf call has brought in small herds on 2 occassions, once early sept in the peace, the other around the 25 of sept in region 8

hunter1947
08-15-2015, 06:41 AM
I have called in many cow elk just doing a cow call they come in to investigate on what this cow is calling about spot and stalk as well..

J_T
08-15-2015, 06:53 AM
Cows are hoarders work with a feeding cow/calf combo and they'll come in thinking you found a good stash.

junkyard_g
08-16-2015, 07:44 PM
had lead cow come in to 7yds 2 years ago. had a couple cows and a small bull check me out while mewing today. seen one while scouting, hiked over there and mewed and they came within 50yds to check me out