PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 Wolf Sightings

Fisher-Dude
04-25-2007, 07:53 PM
At a recent meeting with the MoE biologists in Penticton, we proposed a wolf season in Region 8 because it appears they are establishing themselves here, and our moose and elk calves/sheep lambs/goat kids need all the help they can get. The bio's said they would have trouble establishing a season without an inventory or some idea of populations. We suggested a reporting line similar to that for badger sightings in the regulations. I'd like to start the ball rolling with some info from HBC members.

Has anyone one here seen wolves in Region 8? I saw one in October '05 in 8-12...a large charcoal black one.

Our local COs found this one in 8-10 after it was hit by a logging truck.
http://www.castanet.net/content/1170374330age.jpg

BearSniper
04-25-2007, 07:58 PM
Thats a good idea.

I'd be all for shooting a few Wolves .:)

browningboy
04-25-2007, 08:35 PM
We've caught sign of them inbetween the Coq and Princeton (coldwater), but nothing like region 7.

tracker
04-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Seen alot of wolf sign up by headwaters area last year moose hunting. in the first week of november .no it was not coyotes either unless they have the paw size of st bernards. most I have seen in alot of years hunting up there.
they were everywhere from deep bush to roads .

We should have some control over them :lol: :lol:

DBM
04-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Saw 2 off of the coquihalla. I was on an old, steep, and winding skid road (no vehicle access). I saw movement up around the corner, so I croached down on the road and waited for whatever it was to make it's way down to me. I got a 3 or 4 second look (at 25 yards) of 2 Grey and White coloured wolves, both over 80 pounds.

Told the conservation officer about them, he looked at me like I'd been drinking in camp all day.

steveo32
04-25-2007, 09:37 PM
I have seen tracks up garrision this winter, a pack of 4 and heard the howel:twisted: But i have one confiremed sighting up at sunset main if that is region 8:confused:

Other then that check out around the lower half of the whipsaw and where the elk winter i am sure you will find wolves

steve

boxhitch
04-25-2007, 09:55 PM
[quote=Fisher-Dude] The bio's said they would have trouble establishing a season without an inventory or some idea of populations.

WTF ! Is there a magic number when a season is warranted ? YES, ONE !
What do they think will happen if thirty are sighted ? LEH for two ?
Sometimes these guys seem really thick, a prybar is needed to get them outside the box.

Fisher-Dude
04-25-2007, 10:46 PM
WTF ! Is there a magic number when a season is warranted ? YES, ONE !
What do they think will happen if thirty are sighted ? LEH for two ?
Sometimes these guys seem really thick, a prybar is needed to get them outside the box.

Interesting how quickly we put them in their place when we said "What about turkeys? You opened a season here without an inventory on them!"

Wolves are a politically charged animal...I think that's the real reason the bio's tread lightly around them.

HighCountry
04-25-2007, 10:50 PM
We saw a pack of 6 in tullameen area last fall and a pack of 4 up in
Princeton area just 3 weeks ago.Also alots of wolf sign up by m.u 8-1,8-2.

Eichelherr
04-25-2007, 10:55 PM
"hit by a truck" --- i love it, lol

Stone Sheep Steve
04-26-2007, 07:45 AM
Open them up with compulsory inspection. That'll give them some solid numbers....well, at least it will be "a" number.......:) .

SSS

boxhitch
04-26-2007, 09:28 AM
"hit by a truck" --- i love it, lol
I think I will start calling my 12 ga. "Truck".

BearSniper
04-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Wolves

Judging by the number of region 8 sightings by members on this site, many of whom have decades of experince in the bush, sometimes you wonder if the wildlife ministry really knows whats going on:-(

Rainwater
04-26-2007, 03:59 PM
Had them howling in Rendell Cr (Centre Mtn) two years ago. NOT Coyotes. Yah it is funny how the bio just seemed to skirt the issue at the meeting, if it's got fur it's gonna take some work to get a season. If it's got feathers shoot away even if there isn't a sustainable population, go figure.

300H&H
04-26-2007, 04:27 PM
We were huntin 8-12 on opening day 2 years ago. Just as it was getting light out we heard the wolves howl in the cut block beside us. Same thing the next morning. We did not see them tho.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-26-2007, 04:56 PM
A guy was hunting with a friend of mine about 1km behind Peachland, had 14 wolves pass below him single file. This was about 2 or 3 years ago during the later part of mule deer rifle season.

SSS

bckev
04-26-2007, 05:21 PM
I saw a pack of a half dozen up by greyback damn about 20 years ago. My dad saw one in 8-1 about ten years ago. I have seen tracks in 8-1 the last few years.

mr eagle
04-26-2007, 06:32 PM
I saw one near Allison Lake in Oct 2005 while hunting mulies. Also heard them howling that night, they were definitely not coyotes.

wsm
04-26-2007, 07:15 PM
lots of sign around grayback lake.

houndogger
04-26-2007, 08:14 PM
Run over them all8-)

Sieg-MM
04-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Did not see one myself last year but my uncle seen one in the Trapping Creek area. As well, I was in carmi on Easter weekend visiting with the parents/friends and a relable source told me a wolf came into the Pringle Road area this winter after a residence's dog. (resident seen the wolf and it spooked). Sightings are becoming more frequent in 8.

Pete
04-26-2007, 09:13 PM
This year I have seen 6 wolves in Region 8 1 towards Lumby and 4 up on the trapline between Whitemans and the MacGregor and one crossing over in the Predator country. I also saw another 3 over in Region 3 down in the Salmon country.

Bigbuckadams
04-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Saw one about 10 years ago just north-west of Enderby and one in Lake Country several times the past 3 years. The one in Lake Country is rumoured to be one that was domesticated, hangs out with a couple of coyotes. A guy at work has seen and heard him in the Ellison area as well ( Vernon ). Makes his dog go nuts at night.

Wildfoot
04-27-2007, 12:15 PM
i saw a wolf in 8-12 yesterday. Plus a bunch of huge wolf shits and 2 dead deer.

Mik
04-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Saw one last year in Oct, Region 8-22, Vernon Hill.

SHAKER
04-29-2007, 12:21 PM
I've seen a fair amount of Wolf sighn but not accually seen one. Ellis creek, Stemwinder and others I won't tell you about. As far as our bio-guys???? Like I've said before-------Charts and Graphs! Thats all they do! If it wasn't for that dead one, they would say they're isn't a single wolf in the region. My patience with MOE is at ZERO, and Inventory? give me a brake, they don't have a clue how many Cougar, turkey, Bobcats, lynx or anything else we got but they still let us hunt them. I'm going to stop now before I get mad.