PDA

View Full Version : refrain from hunting 5-3

TRIPALM
08-13-2015, 06:30 PM
a couple friends have moose draws in 5-3 along with the draw they received a letter from the ministry asking them to refrain from moose harvest in areas of 5-3 as they are trying to increase moose numbers working with the local first nations and forestry companies ,the letter says please refrain from hunting moose in the designated areas of 5-3 as the ministry is working with the local first nations to investigate why moose numbers are on the decline . My first response is really last year it was region 5-4 ,this year 5-3 and so on ,so the ministry seem to be unable to successfully manage wildlife on its own ,the leh was introduced to increase moose numbers ,is it not working as the allowable number of draws keeps being reduced as well . I have hunted that area for 20 years hunters and ranchers report a healthy wolf population in the region as well contributing to the decline ,i have also hunted cat in there in january and february and have found where cow moose have been shot and the unborn fetus in the gut pile ,locals hunting day and night over the cab of the truck and they wonder why moose numbers are down

jackthebear
08-13-2015, 07:03 PM
I hear your frustration! And let's be honest, the provincial government makes the ministry of environment run on a shoe string budget so how can they come up with a number that is even remotely close to being accurate!

IronNoggin
08-13-2015, 07:14 PM
a couple friends have moose draws in 5-3 along with the draw they received a letter from the ministry asking them to refrain from moose harvest in areas of 5-3

Then Why in Hell's name did they even hold a draw for there?

I'll be writing the Ministry Demanding they take back our moose & caribou tags for the Spatsizi, and do NOT reduce our odds for the future. The blockade (and the Province's / RCMP's unwillingness to act) forgoes any real possibility of a hunt there, and I feel this is our only effing recourse now. I'd suggest your Buddies do the same! Unbelievable! Issue a draw tag, then ask them not to use it!! :evil:

Bunch of Royal Eff-Ups!!

Pissed!
Nog

scoutlt1
08-13-2015, 07:20 PM
Then Why in Hell's name did they even hold a draw for there?

I'll be writing the Ministry Demanding they take back our moose & caribou tags for the Spatsizi, and do NOT reduce our odds for the future. The blockade (and the Province's / RCMP's unwillingness to act) forgoes any real possibility of a hunt there, and I feel this is our only effing recourse now. I'd suggest your Buddies do the same! Unbelievable! Issue a draw tag, then ask them not to use it!! :evil:

Bunch of Royal Eff-Ups!!

Pissed!
Nog

Exactly my thoughts.

What the hell??!!??!!

SAVAGEONE
08-13-2015, 07:22 PM
a couple friends have moose draws in 5-3 along with the draw they received a letter from the ministry asking them to refrain from moose harvest in areas of 5-3 as they are trying to increase moose numbers working with the local first nations and forestry companies ,the letter says please refrain from hunting moose in the designated areas of 5-3 as the ministry is working with the local first nations to investigate why moose numbers are on the decline . My first response is really last year it was region 5-4 ,this year 5-3 and so on ,so the ministry seem to be unable to successfully manage wildlife on its own ,the leh was introduced to increase moose numbers ,is it not working as the allowable number of draws keeps being reduced as well . I have hunted that area for 20 years hunters and ranchers report a healthy wolf population in the region as well contributing to the decline ,i have also hunted cat in there in january and february and have found where cow moose have been shot and the unborn fetus in the gut pile ,locals hunting day and night over the cab of the truck and they wonder why moose numbers are down

Excuseeeeeemeee. if the fricking numbers are down so low that they need to ask the people with a draw to refrain from hunting that area why did they have a draw for that area in the first place ? and they are working with first nations to help moose numbers ? ha so much for management.

RugDoctor
08-13-2015, 07:51 PM
Region 5 numbers may be down alright....but it ain't because of the LEH......

dakoda62
08-13-2015, 07:55 PM
Probably no reduction with guide quota's

skibum
08-13-2015, 08:11 PM
Personally think the province is letting the FN / moose / access issue fester as to keep FN occupied with that instead other issues like revenue sharing, forestry allocation, mining, etc......

Province is just using hunters

Glenny
08-13-2015, 08:21 PM
Gee I wonder what happens behind closed doors eh. I wonder who else has been asked to refrain. This stinks to high heaven.

Muliechaser
08-13-2015, 08:29 PM
Region 5 numbers may be down alright....but it ain't because of the LEH......

I agree !! Its just a cover .. makes me sick

180grainer
08-13-2015, 08:34 PM
I made a FOIA request back in the mid 90's asking how many moose the FN harvested that year. This was for the Smithers area. Long story short, they don't track the harvest rate of FN. So here you have the two parties that are directly responsible for the decline in numbers, (suppose along with the wolves) saying they are going to look into why numbers are down. Even with the way the law is now, that FN subsistence hunting takes priority over non-FN, there is nothing to say they shouldn't be held accountable to the number of moose they harvest or that they should have to report their kills. If what we harvest is public knowledge so should their harvest numbers. Especially when they have the ability to restrict our hunting access. That's another issue that should be made known to the public.

bassplayer
08-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Does anyone remember that one blockade they had in the Chilcotin a few years back. They were refusing to let moose hunters hunt because there was a decline in the moose population in that area and low moose numbers. HOWEVER. They would let you through their blockade to hunt your moose providing you hired a native to guide you on your moose hunt. Go figure lol!

scretch
08-13-2015, 09:31 PM
I've hunted the Big Creek area for about 35 years and have seen more blackbears the last 5 years then anytime before. Also have cabin on Mons Lake and was up there in Jan.working on my cabin roof when 3 shots were fired on the main road about half mile from the cabin and you guessed it,two gut piles one cow one calf. Note:my cabin has been robbed many times.

Gateholio
08-13-2015, 09:32 PM
I’ve hunted 5-03 for almost 50 years. The number of black bears are way,way up from about 10 years ago. Back in the 60’s, 70’s or 80’s we’d be lucky to see 1 or 2 black bears per trip. Nowadays seeing up to ½ a dozen or more per day is the norm. And we all know they are the main predators of moose calves that are less than 2 months old. Some studies indicate that bears(both black & grizz)killl up to 50 % of the newborn calves. In one area of Alaska it was 65%.
NO CALVES=NO MOOSE!

Last year we hunted/camped at 2 different locations on 2 occasions –one near Big Creek & the other near Ward Creek. We saw no wolf signs or heard the midnight serenade of the lone wolf or a pack.
I’m convinced that the black bears are the main culprits in the moose decline not only in 5-03 but in most of BC.

You are allowed 2 bear tags per hunter. Might be time to use them

walks with deer
08-13-2015, 09:49 PM
I smell a black bear hunt.

And a drive through of blockades.

204rug.ftw
08-13-2015, 09:52 PM
I also have been seeing more than usual amount of blackbears in revelstoke area, there is always lots around here but they really do seem to be crawling all over the hills. I seen a cow and calf moose last week where I have been working and she was alone this week.. and seen a cougar around same km mark as the cow calf pair this morning.... maybe different cow but not a good sign anyways. agreed that is bulls**t that they give a draw out and then ask people not to hunt there like wth?? not much faith in the provincial management we got going on here...

HarryToolips
08-13-2015, 10:00 PM
I'm not from there, but I'm sure FN's have cut their harvest numbers down as well...........NOT!!!

180grainer
08-13-2015, 11:42 PM
You are allowed 2 bear tags per hunter. Might be time to use them

Fair enough, kill bears. But you're missing the point. How do you manage the moose population without knowing the impact of the FN harvest. The government knows they're unaccounted for and so do the FN. Try to find out how many moose were killed in that area by the FN. They won't tell you. They will however, (if your non-FN) tell you the numbers are down and now you shouldn't, (or can't) hunt there.

180grainer
08-13-2015, 11:45 PM
I’ve hunted 5-03 for almost 50 years. The number of black bears are way,way up from about 10 years ago. Back in the 60’s, 70’s or 80’s we’d be lucky to see 1 or 2 black bears per trip. Nowadays seeing up to ½ a dozen or more per day is the norm. And we all know they are the main predators of moose calves that are less than 2 months old. Some studies indicate that bears(both black & grizz)killl up to 50 % of the newborn calves. In one area of Alaska it was 65%.
NO CALVES=NO MOOSE!

Last year we hunted/camped at 2 different locations on 2 occasions –one near Big Creek & the other near Ward Creek. We saw no wolf signs or heard the midnight serenade of the lone wolf or a pack.
I’m convinced that the black bears are the main culprits in the moose decline not only in 5-03 but in most of BC.

Using a large font isn't going to make people listen to you any more than if you use a normal one.

Sofa King
08-14-2015, 02:15 AM
just shows how much the ministrys and govts have no Fing clue.
they couldn't find a clue in a clue closet for F sakes.
you got a draw,(something I've never gotten after 20++++ years of trying) go kill a freaking moose and send them a pic with a thank you letter.

303savage
08-14-2015, 07:22 AM
I have a problem with the whole native rights bull dung.
Hunting and fishing was their traditional way of life but they are carrying it a bit to far.
They didn't have firearms, steel traps, pick up trucks, nylon nets or roads etc.
If they use white man's tools they should follow the white mans rules.

chilcotin hillbilly
08-14-2015, 07:35 AM
I don't think we are getting the whole information here from the poster. I believe there are areas inside of 5-3 that are being studied and have suggested you refrain from hunting them not the whole MU.

chilcotin hillbilly
08-14-2015, 07:37 AM
I have a real issue with the fact that moose is not a traditional food source for FN in region 5. Even the regional manager agrees to that fact but no on is will to deal with the real issue.

.330 Dakota
08-14-2015, 07:54 AM
I have a problem with the whole native rights bull dung.
Hunting and fishing was their traditional way of life but they are carrying it a bit to far.
They didn't have firearms, steel traps, pick up trucks, nylon nets or roads etc.
If they use white man's tools they should follow the white mans rules.

Agreed 100%,,,,yes 180 I used a large font...lol

Bro 300
08-14-2015, 07:55 AM
Well, if they don't want you using your LEH, then you should ask for the money that you spent to purchase the leh back.
Also, if your hunt is interfered with and they won't do anything about it. Same thing.

hunterdon
08-14-2015, 08:17 AM
Not fair for the hunters who drew LEH tags only after to be asked not to use them. In my humble opinion, the ministry should compensate them somehow. Example, put them at the top of the list for next year's draw guaranteeing a successful draw if that works for them.

Also, I have been saying for years that the regulation change a number of years ago, concerning mandatory retrieval of edible portions of black bear, would ultimately drive up the black bear population. While we have always enjoyed black bear table fare at our home, and I usually take one black bear each year, the fact is many hunters who used to hunt large black bear before the regulation change, stopped bear hunting.

While I do understand both sides of this argument, the unfortunate downside of such a regulation will only drive up the numbers of predators of ungulates. If in the future, mandatory edible portion retrieval regulation is imposed on all animals hunted (as there seems to be a push in that direction in light of the recent killing of Cecil the lion), there is no doubt that ungulate populations will be on a further downslide. That's my guess anyways.

olympia
08-14-2015, 08:34 AM
Personally think the province is letting the FN / moose / access issue fester as to keep FN occupied with that instead other issues like revenue sharing, forestry allocation, mining, etc......

Province is just using hunters

I have a feeling your right

TRIPALM
08-15-2015, 08:37 PM
yes its true not all areas are closed but the open areas are not some of the best places to set up a camp near riske creek ,it would be riske to leave it unattended

Stroodle
08-15-2015, 09:03 PM
2 years back I was riding through the lower end of 5-03 and came across a FN camp in mid August with 3 moose down - I phoned and reported it to the Conservation Branch - they indicated they weren't going to do anything about it. WTF? I just came through the Yalakom Rd (which connects to the southern end of 5-03) and the FN's have an "information" blockade at 50km. Hmmmm, hopefully not going to cause issues on Sept 1st.

Kilwinning
08-16-2015, 12:20 PM
Are you talking about the west pavilion Rd and was there any access issues.

Sakofox
09-01-2015, 08:10 PM
So I'm facing the same problem in 5-4. On the one side there's the chilcotin FN and on the east side its the stewardship area that also goes thru 5-3. I believe they're "asking" to not hunt the area. It's more a request than a "strictly no hunting area" I believe. I'll be hunting. If only they told us about that management project, I would've apply for another draw. This is straight up and down stupid.

ElectricDyck
09-01-2015, 09:47 PM
Not fair for the hunters who drew LEH tags only after to be asked not to use them. In my humble opinion, the ministry should compensate them somehow. Example, put them at the top of the list for next year's draw guaranteeing a successful draw if that works for them.

Also, I have been saying for years that the regulation change a number of years ago, concerning mandatory retrieval of edible portions of black bear, would ultimately drive up the black bear population. While we have always enjoyed black bear table fare at our home, and I usually take one black bear each year, the fact is many hunters who used to hunt large black bear before the regulation change, stopped bear hunting.

While I do understand both sides of this argument, the unfortunate downside of such a regulation will only drive up the numbers of predators of ungulates. If in the future, mandatory edible portion retrieval regulation is imposed on all animals hunted (as there seems to be a push in that direction in light of the recent killing of Cecil the lion), there is no doubt that ungulate populations will be on a further downslide. That's my guess anyways.

I can't argue with that, I eat the bear I shoot, but dont see too many others hunting them...

FourOhs
09-02-2015, 01:11 PM
the letter says please refrain from hunting moose in the designated areas of 5-3
So the way I read that is the letter asks hunters to (by their choice) refrain from hunting in specifically designated areas inside 5-3, not all of 5-3. Presumably those specific areas are documented with the letter. Seems fine with me. Some with the draw will refrain, but I'd imagine most won't. As has been vented on here many times, getting an LEH draw is hard enough as it is.

I wouldn't be surprised to find the letters were drafted based on census data that was analysed after this year's LEH program was already drafted. Sucks, no two ways about it. If I'd gotten in the draw and that information was published up front I'd have opted for a different MU. Still, your friends are allowed to hunt all of 5-3 as per usual. It sounds like their chances of success are lower than some other areas though. Like others suggested, they ought to go out with bear tags also and do what they can to increase moose numbers/decrease predator numbers for subsequent years.

I can't argue with that, I eat the bear I shoot, but dont see too many others hunting them...
I've got my bear tag. I'm not specifically looking for them in 8-22/8-23 but if I spot one, I'ma make me some sausage.