PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Rabbit In August?

DeadlyGame
08-13-2015, 11:26 AM
I really wanna go hunting this weekend and the only animal I am interested in hunting that is open is snowshoe hare. I have heard it's not good to hunt them until first frost because of the bugs and rabbit fever?

Not sure if there is any truth behind any of this. It would be nice to go for a region 8 rabbit hunt though.

any info is appreciated thanks

keoke
08-13-2015, 11:44 AM
I'm up in 8-8 right now and tonight I'm planning on going for a stroll with the 22 after dinner to see if any bunnies are about. I'll let you know how it goes tonight.

Big Hoss
08-13-2015, 12:15 PM
Headed to region 8 for a rabbit hunt with friends this weekend. Last year was my first year rabbit hunting and it was a lot of fun and very tasty

HarryToolips
08-13-2015, 01:11 PM
I really wanna go hunting this weekend and the only animal I am interested in hunting that is open is snowshoe hare. I have heard it's not good to hunt them until first frost because of the bugs and rabbit fever?

Not sure if there is any truth behind any of this. It would be nice to go for a region 8 rabbit hunt though.

Whoever told you that is full of crap...I've been out once specifically for rabbit thus far since Aug 1st, nailed 3, all tasted great..and the bugs are not bad, they taper off after July I usually find...cruise slowly by vehicle, or walk on the logging roads between 7 - 8:15 PM I find is the best time, though you will see em in the morning sometimes til about 9:30 - 10 am...hit the re-planted cut-blocks with lots of deciduous growth on either side, that is prime snowshoe hare habitat...

Iron Glove
08-13-2015, 01:40 PM
Son texted me a pic of what he brought home to Princeton the other day.
Said he could've bagged 10 if he wanted to, they were all over the place.
Seeing as how you are a fellow Hoper, PM me and I'll help direct you to the general are he was in.
Once grouse opens up I'll be joining the kid for a bunny and bird shoot.

hparrott
08-13-2015, 06:36 PM
I have never rabbit hunted and assuming rabbit honey hole requests are not as sacred as big game, is Princeton the closest place to the lower mainland where you can bag a few Thumpers at large?

Boner
08-13-2015, 06:53 PM
You might want to phone up your favourite butcher and make sure he has the room to hang it. :)

B-rad
08-13-2015, 06:54 PM
Tons of rabbit around kamloops area this year,,,,,been out 4 times since aug 1st,,,,have bagged 19 so far most with the .22 couple with 12 gauge,,,,,right at crack of light till aprox 8:30-9am,,,,,then again 6:30-7pm till dark,,,,some shots are close aprox 10-15 yards and others can reach out to 50-60 yards,,,,,no probs with insects on them,,,,,old cut blocks with thick growth lots of fun and good warm up practice for huntin the grouse when they open

Wick
08-13-2015, 06:58 PM
Princeton, Boston Bar, Top of the Coquihalla off towards Tulameen, Merritt. They are around.

204rug.ftw
08-13-2015, 10:05 PM
here I was thinking that rabbit opened on the 15th.... for what reason no one will know.. haha gonna have to go out this weekend and slock a few

hare_assassin
08-13-2015, 10:13 PM
Tons of rabbit around kamloops area this year,,,,,been out 4 times since aug 1st,,,,have bagged 19 so far most with the .22 couple with 12 gauge,,,,,right at crack of light till aprox 8:30-9am,,,,,then again 6:30-7pm till dark,,,,some shots are close aprox 10-15 yards and others can reach out to 50-60 yards,,,,,no probs with insects on them,,,,,old cut blocks with thick growth lots of fun and good warm up practice for huntin the grouse when they open

Way to go, man! Nice start!

I still haven't managed to get out there yet this year...

keoke
08-13-2015, 11:24 PM
I took my 4 year old son out hunting for the first time that he realized on his own. We didn't see any rabbits but we did see a group of 4 bucks. He was really excited to see the deer.

marlin3030
08-17-2015, 05:41 PM
I am in 4-9 and last weekend we got some rabbits just where it splits to 8-15. The best time seems to be right around 6PM and of course early in the morning. I had always wondered about rabbit fever but I have never seen any spots or creepy crawly things on them out here.

Firstblood
08-17-2015, 06:25 PM
Just threw the first nights bag of bunnies in the crock pot, had to choose which bunnies to take as there are many small ones out there. Saw tons around though, nice to get out there again, those 2 months of not hunting almost killed me haha. Ive been around the 3-20s and have seen tons of chickens and bunnies and lots of nice deer, saw 60+ bears around where I live since spring but haven't seen any moose recently. but the gear is packed and heading back out for bunnies tonight.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-17-2015, 06:39 PM
Daughter and I went out for the first t
hare trip of the season last Saturday. Saw 9 but they were brown streaks. Bush was a very busy place that night.

kebes
08-17-2015, 07:36 PM
Just threw the first nights bag of bunnies in the crock pot, had to choose which bunnies to take as there are many small ones out there.

care to share the recipe???

Rayne
08-20-2015, 04:50 PM
And if you guys don't have any luck message me and I'll sell you some farm raised ones

shortrange
08-20-2015, 10:19 PM
Roberts Bank isn't just for duck hunting. Just saying...

hparrott
08-22-2015, 07:46 AM
Drove and walked around the Copper Mtn area of Princeton yesterday with my little niece, starting at first light. Embarrassed to say I didn't see a single rabbit. A long drive for no bunnies but we did see a beauty of a boar and a good sized doe. It was raining in the morning, does this affect the rabbits more than other game?

Justinhunter
08-23-2019, 09:34 AM
i am very interested in knowing the area you are talking about please let me know im actually trying some hare hunting tomorrow up comstock road but i am willing to drive to princeton

backcountry98
08-23-2019, 09:39 AM
I have spent lots of time hunting Hares in Region 8, best time is August-september 20ish. I always walked or drove on older FSR roads above 4500ft and always in the last hour of light in the evening. Always was successful with and scoped 22 and a 20ga shotgun. Tons of fun and great eating especially in the slow cooker.
Good luck.

huntinnewbie
08-23-2019, 09:44 AM
Lots of rabbits in the Princeton area. Try driving up the Coq from Hope and taking the back way from the Britton Creek rest stop into Tulameen. As said best at first morning light or just before dark. You'll see them freeze on the side of the FSR roads, easy to see them silouhetted.

Walking Buffalo
08-24-2019, 08:24 AM

There is truth behind increased potential of contracting tularemia in the summer months.
Tularemia is fairly rare in BC, but it does occur here. Learn how to inspect a rabbit for signs of this disease.

There is a rabbit hunters' creed to only Hunt them in months with an "R", September through March.
The reasoning is twofold.
First is the disease concern. Rabbits are more likely to be diseased in the warmer months.
Second is that April through August baby rabbits are dependant on Momma.

Beside the disease issue, you should consider if you are willing to orphan dependant young if you happen to kill a lactating dam.
IMO, the Ethical hunter's rabbit season starts in September.

HarryToolips
08-24-2019, 09:18 AM
^^^good to know, but I'm surprised that they start the season in August considering the baby rabbit dependant on momma factor..

walks with deer
08-24-2019, 03:22 PM
just shoot the babys too.

barongan
08-25-2019, 11:39 AM
Following!http://juragan.club/assets/13/o.png

Piperdown
08-25-2019, 12:01 PM
Just pm Jazzy, she is the rabbit queen on HBC :)

plumberjustin
08-26-2019, 11:42 AM
You might want to phone up your favourite butcher and make sure he has the room to hang it. :)

Lots of hares to be had around Sunday summit. Hit up Pasayten, copper creek, east gate areas.

WaterFowlin
08-26-2019, 12:49 PM
Awesome info. I’m a Princeton local and think I might have to get out for a look.

willyqbc
08-26-2019, 08:51 PM
April through August baby rabbits are dependant on Momma

Not sure I agree with that....of the 20 or so, I've taken in the past 2 weekends, i've not seen a single lactating female.

IMO, the Ethical hunter's rabbit season starts in September.

Well, I choose to believe that our biologists have it open here in region 5 in august because they feel it is appropriate to do so.....

ANYHOW, i'll share a wonderful way to get your rabbits to the table!

https://i.imgur.com/LCOeuCB.jpg?1

Obviously, like anything, the sooner you get em cleaned and cooled off the better. Once back home, I give another going over to clean em up real nice, the into the fridge they go to "age" for a couple days. After a couple days, they are either portioned up and vac sealed for the freezer, or I hand them off to my wife for dinner. She has one of those "sous vide" cooker machines that does wonders for rabbits. a few herbs in the vacuum pouches and into the sous vide for a few hours....finish em on the BBQ with your favourite sauce!!! YUM!

https://i.imgur.com/cznzreb.jpg?1

I know lots of folks like the slow cooker, but i'm not a big fan of "soft meat", like pulled pork style. This sous vide method makes them nice and tender without breaking them down to mush like the slow cooker...I'm a big fan!

Good luck out there!

Walking Buffalo
08-27-2019, 06:48 AM
Looks Good Willy!

Mid to late August is definitely the time when most dams have weaned their young.
The August opening seems appropriate there.

Any signs of rabbit blisters?
My usual rabbit area is becoming quite infected.
The rabbits are still edible, but its a bit off-putting to deal with during dressing....

RyoTHC
08-27-2019, 07:38 AM
Princeton, Boston Bar, Top of the Coquihalla off towards Tulameen, Merritt. They are around.

I find it slightly funny I have no problem filling my deer and bear tags but damn rabbits evade me lol, after reading this thread and itching for season a buddy and I went out last night in one of these aforementioned areas and hiked the hills for 2 hours and didn’t even see a single rabbit ! Story of my life the few times I’ve went on a dedicated hunt for them lol

willyqbc
08-27-2019, 07:54 AM
Walking buff....no signs of blisters in any ive taken this year, all looked pristine....come to think of it, cant ever recall encountering anything off in the rabbits ive taken up here over the years. Hmmmm.....wonder if its more common in the south?

Redthies
08-27-2019, 08:08 AM
I find it slightly funny I have no problem filling my deer and bear tags but damn rabbits evade me lol, after reading this thread and itching for season a buddy and I went out last night in one of these aforementioned areas and hiked the hills for 2 hours and didn’t even see a single rabbit ! Story of my life the few times I’ve went on a dedicated hunt for them lol

You bring me a deer, and you can shoot some rabbits on my property! I always have a bunch to go around!

WaterFowlin
08-27-2019, 10:05 PM
is elevation the biggest factor in finding these rabbits? Being an ex Albertan, elevation is a huge mystery to me. Haha

iescrow
08-28-2019, 02:50 AM
thanks very much, gonna go for bunny hunt this weekend !! :D