PDA

View Full Version : 7-57A First bison hunt

Reese
08-13-2015, 04:46 AM
Hello guys, first time poster here!

Well me and 3 other buddies got our bison hunt in 7-57A OCT 14-30. We are totally new to this area. I was looking online and seen that there are ATV/UTV restriction of 500KG up there. So I wont be bringing my new side x side I bought for hunting :/ I also heard that there are limits on how far you can bring the ATV in the bush. But reading on the backroads maps it says its a ATV trail all the way to Robb Lake... can some one clarify that one for me? I just ordered my wall tent from deluxe wall tents so we will be camping out past horse camp if we are allowed to ATV past it. Any advise on the area will be helpful :) Thanks

Stone C. Killer
08-13-2015, 08:34 AM
Can't go past horse camp with atvs. That's the boundary. I'd be suprised if the Co's gave you a hard time about brining your side by side to there though.

Reese
08-14-2015, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the heads up

fearnodeer
08-15-2015, 07:59 AM
Just past Horse Camp is sulphur creek that the end of the road for ATV and when I was there UTV's were going all the way in and two groupsthait stayed at horse camp got theirs opening morning right at camp, there are a few good places before horse camp to camp, enjoy your trip I am jealous, be careful lots of griz in the area.

tuffcityhunter
08-15-2015, 04:10 PM
We where their early season last year many guys had side by sides, and small 4x4 rigs that made it through the trail going around the ranch. Couple guys even had their trucks driven through the ranch and onto the trail to set up camp and left their trucks parked. The thing that got us a little upset was that everyother group of hunters their for bison drove their quads as far as they wanted to and payed no attention to the law, the rancher at Blueberry didn't care either. The signs where also removed from their post that use to say end of legal ATV use. Lots of Grizzlies thats for sure. Seen bison on the airstrip first couple days before season opened but most where up high on the hills at horse camp and lots on the hills at the end of the legal atv use. NICE CAMP their too looking across to the hill. Only people to get one, and only people to follow the atv rules, when we where their atleast. Just gotta get off the quad hike up and get em that time. Lots of elk up high too seen a couple nice 6x6 and some nice whities. Draw date (2014 oct1-15)

bcsteve
08-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Was up there a few years ago when I got my draw. We brought my 6x6 Argo which is under the 500Kg limit. We got checked by two CO's on snowmobiles. They checked in their little manual and confirmed the weight of my Argo. I don't know if its common but they do check.

Reese
08-15-2015, 07:52 PM
Where is a good place to park the trucks?? Right at the ranch?

tuffcityhunter
08-15-2015, 08:14 PM
If you are going to pay the access fee, instead of going around on the trail which can be a real hassle if it has rained and is muddy, then yes I would say leave the trucks at the ranch and use your machines to bring in the camp and the rest of the gear.

tuffcityhunter
08-15-2015, 08:16 PM
The rancher their if the same as last year (Brian) is a very easy going person, he let us camp in our trailer on the ranch for free and let many people park their trucks on the airstrip as they would set camp further back.

Reese
08-17-2015, 06:52 PM
Right on! Thanks for the heads up guys. Any think out of the ordinary I should bring?

BiG Boar
08-17-2015, 08:16 PM
Bring packs and many strong legs, I wouldn't spend more than one day on that trail with all the other guys on ATVs. You can only leave that one trail for like 100 meters or something with your atv. Expect to be reported if you're seen by other hunters who will be jealous of you leaving the trail. Sure guys do it, but plenty get wildlife infractions also. Expect to see 60 hunters on the only 30kms of road every day.

44inchStone
08-18-2015, 12:40 PM
Congrats on your draw. I drew mine a few years ago. There were more bison around I think back then but if ya get high and look into the valleys for the buggers you should have a great hunt.
The ATV restriction is at Sulfur Creek. About 300 yards of the creek is or WAS a large sign nailed to a tree which read the ATV restriction line. When I was in there, we saw a few 185's fly the valley to check camps and motorized vehicles past the signage. It could have been any one of the outfitters in the surrounding area but a few days after we saw the plane, the CO's were back there checking camps. SO, it may or may not have been them check everyone out from the plane.
Anyway,
If ya get up high, keep the glasses stuck to your eyes around Headstone creek and the Sulfur area, you should do quite well.
Good luck!! and be safe.

JustinG
08-19-2015, 08:45 AM
Hunted it last year and the year before (OCT 15-31, 2013 & OCT 1-15 2014). Wish we were going again! Enjoy it. PM me if you have any specific questions.

JBA
08-24-2015, 01:43 PM
Sons and I have 2 bison tags in Zone A for Oct. 16-31. What's up with the ATV restriction? Is it elevation related or specific road system? How do you find more details?

44inchStone
08-24-2015, 10:40 PM
Here is the info that you were looking for about vehicle restrictions. Your area is 7-57. The information that the ministry provides on these maps CLEARLY shows the vehicle restriction boundries as well and weight restriction for motor vehicles.
We have been stopped back in there close to the boundry by CO's. And this was when the Sign had been torn off the frame on the large tree at Sulfur Creek. They said that we are lucky to have done our homework and obtained boundry info and go over the map information is provided for you in the regulations. They had stopped some guys way past us and things didn't sound like a good outcome for them. It's best to know the info, confirm location and boundry coordinates in your GPS. Have fun! It's a great hunt!!

map H19 Muskwa-Kechika Access Management Area(situated in MUs 7-36, 7-42, 7-43, 7-50, 7-51, 7-52, 7-54, 7-57)and Klingzut Mountain Motor Vehicle Closed Area (situatedin MU 7-42). Maps showing boundaries and motor vehicleroutes within the Muskwa-Kechika AMA can be viewed in theMinistry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operationsoffices in Fort Nelson, or in Fort St John [(250) 787-3225],and ilmbwww.gov.bc.ca/slrp/lrmp/fortstjohn/muskwa/maps/index.html Larger scale maps can be purchased fromMcElhanney Associates in Fort St. John [(250) 787-0356].South of district lot 1229 on the West Toad River corridortravel is restricted to within 10 metres of route and vehiclesunder 500 kg only.

Sons and I have 2 bison tags in Zone A for Oct. 16-31. What's up with the ATV restriction? Is it elevation related or specific road system? How do you find more details?

Reese
09-21-2015, 11:53 AM
Anyone know the prices to pass through the ranch? How bad is the road around? Whats the number for the ranch?

big game chaser
09-21-2015, 02:08 PM
I really wish they would start impounding side by sides up there ! They are wrecking that area and every oilfield worker in the north has one and goes up there !

JustinG
09-21-2015, 02:37 PM
We paid $175/hunter and $125/helper last year. Also you are charged a "TAG" fee for each animal you have provincial licenses for (ex. Bison, Moose, Elk). It adds up quickly. That said, the first year we refused to pay and got skunked hunting the surrounding area (although we did get onto them but had no clean shot before they moved deeper into the trees) the next year we paid and had the trip of a lifetime (got our bison and were close to getting a 7pt elk). We would pay again in a heartbeat.

On the ATV's - you don't want them anyway. The day we got our bison last year the valley had not seen an ATV for 2 days (the same day another group got their 2).

The phone number is on the gate of the ranch along with the current prices (or at least it was last year and the year before).

Reese
10-04-2015, 08:53 PM
Owch a tag fee?? Think it would be a flat rate ! This is adding up real fast.

Reese
10-10-2015, 06:02 AM
One last question guys. How far is the horse camp from the highway or from the ranch? So stoked for this hunt. We leave in less then a week!

CaribooBC
10-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Horse Camp is about 25kms past the ranch. It is also administered by the ranch. A few years ago we got ours in a meadow about 3kms past Horse Camp. It was very cold and the Bison were down low in the valley. Apparently, they come down to the valley bottom during extreme cold spells. There is more food value in the grasses found in the swamps and the can get shelter in the trees.

Lucky 7
10-10-2015, 02:03 PM
We went up in 2003,06 and 08 and had sleds everytime but was there first week of December. Filled the tag all 3 times. 2008 was one tough hunt as our sleds were breaking down and it took us 5 days to fill the tag. Best hunts I have ever gone on. Stayed in the cabins at the ranch in 03 and 06 and in 08 rented a cabin that was close to the ranch but we did pay to go through the ranch.

44inchStone
10-10-2015, 09:09 PM
How and the hell can they charge a tag fee when not one animal is on the ranch. Tag fee. That's a big load of horse shit!
QUOTE=JustinG;1686957]We paid $175/hunter and $125/helper last year. Also you are charged a "TAG" fee for each animal you have provincial licenses for (ex. Bison, Moose, Elk). It adds up quickly. That said, the first year we refused to pay and got skunked hunting the surrounding area (although we did get onto them but had no clean shot before they moved deeper into the trees) the next year we paid and had the trip of a lifetime (got our bison and were close to getting a 7pt elk). We would pay again in a heartbeat.

On the ATV's - you don't want them anyway. The day we got our bison last year the valley had not seen an ATV for 2 days (the same day another group got their 2).

The phone number is on the gate of the ranch along with the current prices (or at least it was last year and the year before).[/QUOTE]

JustinG
10-13-2015, 09:14 AM
From the ranch with all the twists and turns Horse Camp is a 2 hour ATV ride going at a good clip or 25 to 30K. You do not want to be doing that ride every day. If you choose to stay at the cabins assume there is close to nothing inside other than wood bunks, beat up wood stove and a few mice. The windows do not open - gets pretty stuffy with 4 guys inside. I would bring a wall tent next time.

As for the "Tag" fee... call it what you want (ransom money, extortion...) we just included it as part of the overall expense and moved on. If you are just passing through - not sure if that applies. We rented a cabin at the ranch.

100MileGord
10-14-2015, 04:59 PM
Every one posting mentions "the Ranch": perhaps a stupid question but WHICH RANCH?

(My draw is for late December)

CaribooBC
10-14-2015, 09:26 PM
Blueberry Ranch on the Halfway River. It's basically at the foot of Pink Mountain.