PDA

View Full Version : BC Chronic Wasting Disease Surveillance Program

2chodi
08-12-2015, 06:57 PM
Dr. Helen Schwantje, Wildlife Veterinarian/Fish and Wildlife Branch, sent out this request a few weeks back:

I have spoken on CWD and Bovine TB at BCWF AGMs but we are not getting the samples we need for confidence that these diseases are not present. And we need to. For that we are asking for your help in ways to outreach to hunters who harvest any cervid in three focus areas of BC – the Peace Region and East Kootenay in general and in MU 8-23 in the North Okanagan.

In short, The BC Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations would like your help in testing for Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) in our wild deer, elk, and moose populations.

http://nprg.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/image001.jpg

Heads Wanted Flyer Provincial (http://nprg.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/T15-0132_HeadsWanted_8.5x11inchFlyer_PrintFile.pdf)

Heads Wanted Flyer Cherryville/MU 8-23 (http://nprg.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/T15-0132_AttentionHunters_8.5x11inchFlyer_PrintFile.pd f)

Information Bulletin (http://nprg.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/2015-Information-Bulletin.pdf)

What You Need to Know (http://nprg.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/What-You-Need-To-Know.pdf)

Information for Hunters (http://nprg.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Information-for-Hunters.pdf)

For more information, please contact Adam Hering – Wildlife Health Biologist – 250-953-5140 Adam.Hering@gov.bc.ca
Or
Mike Bridger – Fish and Wildlife Biologist – Peace Region – 250-787-3294 Michael.Bridger@gov.bc.ca

Government has updated their Wildlife Health website (http://www.gov.bc.ca/wildlifehealth), which also includes a poster describing the surveillance program. Some of the collection sites listed are no longer in existence.

Do you have any ideas as to how to get hunters to participate in this important research program?

Sofa King
08-12-2015, 07:00 PM
offer me a guaranteed leh.

2chodi
08-12-2015, 07:02 PM

I'll pass that on.

Mikey Rafiki
08-12-2015, 07:29 PM
I would suggest the best way is to advertise this at those meat cutting drop off locations, and even have them ask each person dropping off an animal to participate. Not sure if this has been around for a few years but I've dropped on game at these locations and never heard about this.

2chodi
08-12-2015, 07:41 PM
I would suggest the best way is to advertise this at those meat cutting drop off locations, and even have them ask each person dropping off an animal to participate. Not sure if this has been around for a few years but I've dropped on game at these locations and never heard about this.

Good idea, and yes, the program has been around for a while. We have several freezers at the North Peace Rod and Gun for the program and got a few heads in the early years of the program, but nothing in the last couple of years.

Liveforthehunt
08-12-2015, 08:01 PM
Where close to 8-23 is there a drop off ... bang animals down every year in that MU

2chodi
08-12-2015, 08:26 PM
Where close to 8-23 is there a drop off ... bang animals down every year in that MU

Good question - I will see what I can find out.

j270wsm
08-12-2015, 09:01 PM
First I've heard of all of this. Between my son, father and I, we could have dropped off at least 3 heads last year.

wrenchhead
08-12-2015, 09:18 PM
They had a freezer at franks store in cherryville for them

Liveforthehunt
08-12-2015, 09:22 PM
They had a freezer at franks store in cherryville for them

Excellent thx. I will make sure I drop a couple off this year

ursusbait
08-13-2015, 07:50 AM
Where are the drop points in the east kootenays?

dracb
08-14-2015, 05:05 PM
Five minutes ago I received an email from the Province's wildlife veterinarian asking me to have patience.They will publish information in the near future as to where to submit CWD samples and how to submit CWD samples.

2chodi
08-18-2015, 11:57 AM
Five minutes ago I received an email from the Province's wildlife veterinarian asking me to have patience.They will publish information in the near future as to where to submit CWD samples and how to submit CWD samples.

I have just added some more information in the original post. I am still waiting to hear re drop-off sites in 8-23.

J_T
08-18-2015, 12:04 PM
We've been taking our deer and elk in to the Ministry since the 90's. My boys used to patrol the highways for road kill back in 96 & 97, sever the heads and take them in. I have no idea how many heads we've contributed, but it would be a lot. To date, there is no evidence of CWD in the EK.

J_T
08-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Five minutes ago I received an email from the Province's wildlife veterinarian asking me to have patience.They will publish information in the near future as to where to submit CWD samples and how to submit CWD samples. In Cranbrook go to the FLNRO office, pick up a batch of cards that you fill out (one for each head) and take them to the office and they put them in the freezer.

2chodi
08-18-2015, 03:40 PM
We've been taking our deer and elk in to the Ministry since the 90's. My boys used to patrol the highways for road kill back in 96 & 97, sever the heads and take them in. I have no idea how many heads we've contributed, but it would be a lot. To date, there is no evidence of CWD in the EK.

Here is some data collected to date:

http://nprg.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Information-for-Hunters.pdf

2chodi
09-04-2015, 05:48 PM
I have added some updated information to the original post (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?119919-BC-Chronic-Wasting-Disease-Surveillance-Program&p=1669425#post1669425).

Gr8 white hunter
09-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Go ask the guide outfitters trophy hunters.

dracb
09-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Chronic wasting and otherwildlife disease sample collection sites"
"I finally have an up to date head-submission location list that you can post.

I’ve also attached some other documents that you can feel free to distribute as you wish. All of these and more are available on our new wildlife health website www.gov.bc.ca/wildlifehealth (http://www.gov.bc.ca/wildlifehealth) . I’m currently working on creating a dedicated page on there specifically for “Hunter Information” so that all of this can be found in one spot.

In the meantime…
For CWD surveillance submissions (Peace and Kootenay Regions), heads can be dropped off at the following locations:

- Peace Region
o North Peace Rod & Gun Club, FSJ
o Peace Taxidermy, Hwy 29
o Russell's Custom Meat Cutting, Chetwynd
o Ministry of Environment, FSJ
o Ministry of Environment, Fort Nelson
- Kootenay Region
o Ministry of Environment, Cranbrook
o Cliff's Meat, Kimberley
o Backcountry Meats, Fernie
o Rick’s Fine Meats, Cranbrook
o COS Ministry of Environment, Invermere
For Bovine Tuberculosis surveillance (north Okanagan MU 8-23) and CWD submissions heads can be dropped off at these locations:

- RT Sausage and Custom Cutting
o 39 Byers Rd
Lumby, BC V0E 2G1
- Frank`s General Store
o 1193 Highway 6 (corner Sugar Lake Road),
Cherryville, B.C. V0E 2G1
- Ministry of Environment Offices, Penticton
o Ministry Of Environment
102 Industrial Pl
Penticton, BC V2A 7C8
o Open during regular business hours
(250) 490-8200 (tel:%28250%29%20490-8200)
Head submission supplies (bags and labels) will be available at the front desk.
There’s also a prize draw (donated by grouse river in Kelowna) that all hunters who submit heads in MU 8-23 for TB testing are eligible to win! "

kootenayelkslayer
10-15-2015, 10:59 AM
Hunting season is well under way, but I don't believe we've received many, if any, heads here in the Peace region.

I realize it can be a bit inconvenient to drop-off heads, but I really urge everyone to make an effort to help out with this program. Although there is currently no evidence of CWD in BC, it's extremely important that we keep monitoring for it, as it is potentially a huge threat to our ungulate populations. This program provides a great opportunity for you to get involved in wildlife research and management in the Province. We need as many deer, elk, and moose heads as possible!

Please give me a call at 250-787-3294 if you have any questions, or would like to arrange a pick-up/drop-off.

Thanks,

Mike

Xenomorph
10-15-2015, 11:18 AM
I think it should be based on area. I volunteer to collect and tag any heads in and around Lower Mainland. Keep them in a chest freezer and figure out a way to get them to you guys once there's a shippable amount?

Contact me via PM OP and we can put something together. I agree, we should be doing this, we want research to be sustainable and we want our harvest to be justified scientifically as well. Willing to help if needed.

Let me know.

kootenayelkslayer
10-16-2015, 12:58 PM
I think it should be based on area. I volunteer to collect and tag any heads in and around Lower Mainland. Keep them in a chest freezer and figure out a way to get them to you guys once there's a shippable amount?

Contact me via PM OP and we can put something together. I agree, we should be doing this, we want research to be sustainable and we want our harvest to be justified scientifically as well. Willing to help if needed.

Let me know.

That would be great, and I appreciate the offer for help. As far as areas go, the primary focus is on the Peace and Kootenay regions, due to their close proximity to Alberta (which has tested positively for CWD). So we're not too interested in testing deer from the Lower Mainland area at this time, but if you were able to secure heads from hunters who may be traveling back from the Peace or Kootenays, that would be very valuable.

bownut
12-10-2017, 09:39 AM
Just wondering ,how much enforcement has there been up till now on the sale of natural game lures that are still being sold in all the sporting good stores?
Deer farms that are producing these lures seem to be where the core areas of CWB originated.
Who do we ask that question to?

Wild one
12-10-2017, 09:58 AM
Just wondering ,how much enforcement has there been up till now on the sale of natural game lures that are still being sold in all the sporting good stores?
Deer farms that are producing these lures seem to be where the core areas of CWB originated.

I have heard of CWD being linked to ungulate farms and how baiting helping spread CWD by bringing deer into close quarters with each other

I have never heard the sale of natural game lure causing an out break. I have never heard of the CWD being present in a commercially sold natural game lure

Is this something you view as a possibility or is there a documented case of a commercially sold game lure being contaminated with CWD?

Walking Buffalo
12-10-2017, 11:30 AM
I have heard of CWD being linked to ungulate farms and how baiting helping spread CWD by bringing deer into close quarters with each other

I have never heard the sale of natural game lure causing an out break. I have never heard of the CWD being present in a commercially sold natural game lure

Is this something you view as a possibility or is there a documented case of a commercially sold game lure being contaminated with CWD?

There was a confirmed case where a deer piss farm became CWD positive.

Many pee farms are in jurisdictions where No CWD testing is required.

No CWD infected wild deer has been attributed to Bottled pee, but how would you test for that?
There are a couple of infection sites where the originating source is unknown.
Could CWD be transferred by infected Deer pee in a bottle? Absolutely!

Just another note on Deer pee. The condition these poor animals live in and the trials they endure so hunters can have a bottle of stink is disgusting.
I really can't understand hunters, most of whom claim to care about deer and wildlife, would actually support this industry.

12-10-2017, 11:55 AM

just wondering, are most blind or tree stand Bow Hunters using scent? Piss rags or bottles, rut scents, doe in estrous, etc etc .

I purchased a bottle once years ago, never seen any reaction to them, still have 3/4 of it left. Not much ch of a believer, mind you have don't use scent blockers or sprays as cover up. I just don't wear my man cologne either lol.

Sitkaspruce
12-10-2017, 03:56 PM
Have tried the "stuff" and so far, the odd young deer seems to be slightly interested, but most don't even acknowledge the stuff,
according to cams.

I "think" that the buck I killed this year "might" have been attracted to some doe in heat stuff, but he could also have been just walking that trail.......

And the doe in heat stuff was the synthetic stuff.....

I forgot all about dropping the head off this year. Damn

Cheers

SS

bownut
12-10-2017, 07:11 PM

A few years back it was a big concern and that's when all the Synthetic Lures started showing up. I don't know of any solid regulation on the sale of such
natural products, but they seem to still be on the racks. I used many natural lures in past years and as of now stopped that routine. Look at where they
are produced.
As far as baiting goes, any time you concentrate wildlife things start showing up. Sickness, Predators knock at the door,

Years back I used small amounts of lure to tuck a deers head behind a log or brush so I could draw my bow and make a clean shot, but after seeing what shows up on
other hunters trail cams, I don't bother anymore.

Baiting was never big on my list, but as long as it's legal, it will continue to grow, especially when hunters don't see many critters.

With all the wolf sign in the backcountry, the last thing I want to do is concentrate game with lures and feed.
Thats my own opinion, and I am sure I will get shit on for saying it on this site, but oh well.

Like the old saying "A wise man changes his mind often, A fool never "

The trend lately in the states is to put CWD front and center, they are also watching how much impact the wolves are having. Alberta east is on the look out also.
We need to be more proactive for sure, nows the time for change. We may be one bad winter from a major decline.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-10-2017, 07:32 PM
A few years back it was a big concern and that's when all the Synthetic Lures started showing up. I don't know of any solid regulation on the sale of such
natural products, but they seem to still be on the racks. I used many natural lures in past years and as of now stopped that routine. Look at where they
are produced.
As far as baiting goes, any time you concentrate wildlife things start showing up. Sickness, Predators knock at the door,

Years back I used small amounts of lure to tuck a deers head behind a log or brush so I could draw my bow and make a clean shot, but after seeing what shows up on
other hunters trail cams, I don't bother anymore.

Baiting was never big on my list, but as long as it's legal, it will continue to grow, especially when hunters don't see many critters.

With all the wolf sign in the backcountry, the last thing I want to do is concentrate game with lures and feed.
Thats my own opinion, and I am sure I will get shit on for saying it on this site, but oh well.

Like the old saying "A wise man changes his mind often, A fool never "

The trend lately in the states is to put CWD front and center, they are also watching how much impact the wolves are having. Alberta east is on the look out also.
We need to be more proactive for sure, nows the time for change. We may be one bad winter from a major decline.

There's a time and place for voicing your concerns, Bownut. A thread like this is the perfect place for a debate on the subject.

Site rules state no calling down a legal harvest of any kind of game, but starting a new thread or posting on this one will be better received.

bownut
12-10-2017, 08:38 PM
There's a time and place for voicing your concerns, Bownut. A thread like this is the perfect place for a debate on the subject.

Site rules state no calling down a legal harvest of any kind of game, but starting a new thread or posting on this one will be better received.

Don't see how I was calling down any hunting methods, just talking about the core concerns on CWD. Theres lots of funded studies that will confirm the comments.
Branching out and learning has always been a driving force for me, it saves on trying to reinvent the wheel.

If individuals want to take what I say as a personal attack, then they can take it as deep as they want to.
Thanks for the reminder and remember it works both ways.......

Wild one
12-10-2017, 08:47 PM
Well learned something new from this thread

bownut
12-10-2017, 08:56 PM
just wondering, are most blind or tree stand Bow Hunters using scent? Piss rags or bottles, rut scents, doe in estrous, etc etc .

I purchased a bottle once years ago, never seen any reaction to them, still have 3/4 of it left. Not much ch of a believer, mind you have don't use scent blockers or sprays as cover up. I just don't wear my man cologne either lol.

Ya me too, don't think that you should put too much faith on the wonder products, still goes back to reading the sign and watching your wind for sure.
It makes me laugh when you think about it, remember the old photos of a group of hunters standing over a bunch of bucks. long before all the gadgets.
How cool was that!

bownut
12-10-2017, 09:09 PM
CWD is spread by close contact and fluid transfer along with some other factors. Not much different than domestic sheep/ wild sheep contact. The devil is at the door,
Some of the top Bios are already warning us about the future and that's why more States are singing a different tune.

This my sound silly, but start to youtube CWD State by State and then look at their changes in regards to hunting practices . I am not talking that far away either.

Scary stuff when you think about all the products that hit the shelves that without much regulation. Hope I am wrong..

Stone Sheep Steve
12-10-2017, 09:20 PM
Used some kind of doe in heat piss(code red I believe) in front of one cam. Zero interest from the deer. Saved the tarsals off my buck to use next year and expect much better results.

TexasWalker
12-10-2017, 09:37 PM
The doe in heat lure works way better if you vape it.

Ourea
12-11-2017, 09:25 PM
One of the biggest concerns of CWD being introduced into BC from AB and Sask is the transportation of infected deer that were harvested in those provinces. This appears to be the biggest concern from those that are on point.

Dannybuoy
12-11-2017, 10:40 PM
One of the biggest concerns of CWD being introduced into BC from AB and Sask is the transportation of infected deer that were harvested in those provinces. This appears to be the biggest concern from those that are on point.

You are probably right on this,lots of guys bringing back racks from alta, sask

Ourea
12-11-2017, 10:51 PM
You are probably right on this,lots of guys bringing back racks from alta, sask

It's when the whole deer is transported where the risk is high

bownut
12-11-2017, 10:52 PM
Yes transportation is a big concern, thats one of the concerns that they can monitor, it's all the other unknown that scares me. Deer and elk farms seem to be located near the hot zones and when you can buy over the counter scent
lures from the central states it leaves me wondering how well they monitor those products.
Transmitting via body fluids is probably still the number one way of contracting CWD. Like I said before I sure hope I'm wrong.

Dannybuoy
12-11-2017, 10:57 PM
I dont know much about it,was guessing that brain bits or something

bownut
12-12-2017, 08:00 PM

I can't seem to post the Report "Baiting And Feeding Deer In Wisconsin" Written By Keith Warnke And Chris Jacques.
Very good information on CWD based on a solid funded study.
Montana has a great Video on Youtube also.

I will try to post that report, it's a eye opener!

chele
12-12-2017, 08:13 PM
I was going to give the deer head but I couldn't find the information for the drop off location online. I am in Victoria. I noticed the provincial poster is asking for deer heads in the eastern part of the province. So I assume they don't need head from the coastal areas yet (?)

12-12-2017, 08:16 PM
There's a whole lot if difference between the tower type Taxas baiting that goes on year round or months and months , continually dropping food like a chicken feeder, compared to trying to get a deer off game trails to slow down, take a munch on some alphalpha ya put down days previous.

bownut
12-12-2017, 08:19 PM
there's a whole lot if difference between the tower type taxas baiting that goes on year round or months and months , continually dropping food like a chicken feeder, compared to trying to get a deer off game trails to slow down, take a munch on some alphalpha ya put down days previous.

educate yourself!

12-12-2017, 08:22 PM
educate yourself!

get off your high tower tree stand bud, you are the best aren't cha. Wow.

bownut
12-12-2017, 08:35 PM
I was going to give the deer head but I couldn't find the information for the drop off location online. I am in Victoria. I noticed the provincial poster is asking for deer heads in the eastern part of the province. So I assume they don't need head from the coastal areas yet (?)

And thats the problem as it stands, I am not trying to scare all the hunters of the province, but it's time to wake up and ask ourselves what we can do to prevent the declines in wildlife.
Everything we do has a effect.
We continue to try and reinvent the wheel, and continue chasing our tails.

If funding is the issue, then use the studies that are out there and learn from them. If individuals continue to challenge you with the "Where's Your Science?", then show them.
It's not debatable.

I keep using Youtube as a resource, but why not, it's the only way to get the best DNR Reports that are properly funded and to the point. The sad thing is we as BC resident hunters
don't want to accept it as the truth.

Here is another great video on CWD "Naturally Speaking CWD And Deer. Why Should We Care?"
Check it out..

Ourea
12-12-2017, 08:36 PM
I can't seem to post the Report "Baiting And Feeding Deer In Wisconsin" Written By Keith Warnke And Chris Jacques.
Very good information on CWD based on a solid funded study.
Montana has a great Video on Youtube also.

I will try to post that report, it's a eye opener!

Look forward to you getting the info up.
I have been doing some snooping as well.
Looking at what common factors are, the where and why.
Talking to some bio buddies.

I see that higher density populations is a commonality ......interaction with domestic animals.....farm raised elk etc etc.

The disease needs to be transmitted.
Logic says work it from here to evaluate risk probability.

bownut
12-12-2017, 08:50 PM
get off your high tower tree stand bud, you are the best aren't cha. Wow.

Ok Then.
FWI I have never place myself above anyone, that is not what I want you to think of me.
I am so sorry that I may have insulted you. That's not what I am trying to do.
All I want to do is share my concerns, and if I upset you, sorry.
Your correct about concentrated feeding and feeding at a moderate level, there is probably some difference.
Again Sorry.

bownut
12-12-2017, 09:03 PM
Look forward to you getting the info up.
I have been doing some snooping as well.
Looking at what common factors are, the where and why.
Talking to some bio buddies.

I see that higher density populations is a commonality ......interaction with domestic animals.....farm raised elk etc etc.

The disease needs to be transmitted.
Logic says work it from here to evaluate risk probability.

Correct.
The only reason I am looking into CWD in BC future is Val Geist spoke of it at one of the BCWF annual meeting, and all the changes flowing our way through the States.
Montana, Idaho have big concerns and changing the practices, Wisconsin has been leading the pack on studies and Canada is asking for their help.

I will be asking to local Bios to come to my club to speak on these and other concerns in the new year, I hope they will participate.

Ourea
12-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Correct.
The only reason I am looking into CWD in BC future is Val Geist spoke of it at one of the BCWF annual meeting, and all the changes flowing our way through the States.
Montana, Idaho have big concerns and changing the practices, Wisconsin has been leading the pack on studies and Canada is asking for their help.

I will be asking to local Bios to come to my club to speak on these and other concerns in the new year, I hope they will participate.

Grounding comment.....

Many have been thrown under the bus over WT comparisons using the adjacent areas of Idaho and Washington State......
Deemed not relevant and can't be compared to BC.
CWD, preds, habitat, and regulation studies (the list goes on) are subjective at best when making comparisons of that specific data to other regions in North America.

Keep an open mind as one absorbs information.

Where is CWD, a disease that is primarily associated with agriculture zones, higher density ranching and wildlife interaction within these zones, as a primary concern for BC? It is on the list but wildlife numbers continue to contract without CWD being a factor.

Great thread..... hopefully we invest more in awareness and support on the current drivers responsible for wildlife declines and a way to fund the correction and educate all in this province of this reality.

Those in management are aware of CWD and have their eyes and ears open.
If it does show up, we need to have the resources to deal with it otherwise ..... yet just another hurdle facing wildlife with no $$ to address.

steepNdeep
12-15-2017, 07:48 PM
Wow, they even banned salt licks & scents down there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvfUOB3wZ3Y

Stone Sheep Steve
12-15-2017, 09:17 PM
Wow, they even banned salt licks & scents down there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvfUOB3wZ3Y

Just wondering how many states/ provinces have cattle grazing on public/crown land? Are we here in BC not the norm?

Brez
12-15-2017, 10:05 PM
Shouldn't this and drop-off sites be posted in the regs?

bearvalley
12-15-2017, 10:30 PM
Just wondering how many states/ provinces have cattle grazing on public/crown land? Are we here in BC not the norm?

Cattle on public/crown land....ungulates on private land.....the mix happens both ways in a lot of states and provinces.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-16-2017, 06:52 AM
Cattle on public/crown land....ungulates on private land.....the mix happens both ways in a lot of states and provinces.

True. I guess Wildlife doesn't care if land is public or private.

Wildlife is going to seek out licks whether they are natural or man made. Having more options the bush probably concentrates wildlife less than a few naturally occurring licks.

dracb
12-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Shouldn't this and drop-off sites be posted in the regs?

That list seems to be compiled in May, Long after the regs are published. An earlier post in this thread lists the regional drop off sites. apparently the Front Desk offices have bags and labels for the heads. The most commonly listed drop off site is the Ministry of the environment or Conservation Officer Service Office.

bownut
12-16-2017, 03:07 PM
It's very interesting to see how proactive these Bios are, they all know that the spread of CWD is for certain. We must be more responsive to change if BC wants to be kept clean of CWD.
The funded studies have been going on for some time now and we still want to debate the De-Bait. So sad.

Ourea
12-16-2017, 03:23 PM
Keeping the Wisconsin ban in context -
It's in effect on four of the 72 counties in that state which is just over 5%.
It is also aprox 7% of the total land mass of the state.

I simply call this out as many could misinterpret the video as saying the entire state has a ban.
Not taking away from the serious potential threat that CWD represents, just keeping facts straight.

12-16-2017, 04:40 PM
Just finished watching a terrific show on Waterton Lakes area and the G Bear management program. Through the show, various HUGE FARMS, Cattle RANCHES are in what is called the Biosphere area, just outside the park. This in connection with the Nature Conservatory of Canada. Guess what, through growth of poplar trees invading the ranch land, the ranchers, to keep the trees in check, and have the cattle stomp the trees, placed several salt blocks throughout this area. This same area is frequented by at times huge heards of Elk and White Tail deer. The Nature Conservatory of Canada involved.
So before those opposed to our little spreads of bait with hay alphalfa mix, some apples, COB ...... Again NO comparison to the Texas Tower Drop station or those supplying feed year round.

bownut
12-17-2017, 08:40 AM
Keeping the Wisconsin ban in context -
It's in effect on four of the 72 counties in that state which is just over 5%.
It is also aprox 7% of the total land mass of the state.

I simply call this out as many could misinterpret the video as saying the entire state has a ban.
Not taking away from the serious potential threat that CWD represents, just keeping facts straight.

Once again here is a system that is being proactive a dealing with it before it gets worst. Forget about the proportions, think about the possible long term effect if nothing is done.
Montana, and Idaho are also looking at CWD closer than ever before. Alberta and Sask. also.

Kind of reminds me of the Pine Beetle and how the hot small hot zone didn't get the smack down.
The Flu starts off in one community and bang off it goes. Isn't that the big reason for nipping it a the bud?
Still very funny how some feel that it's ok in small amounts. Nature will let you know whats OK, thats for sure.

bownut
12-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Just finished watching a terrific show on Waterton Lakes area and the G Bear management program. Through the show, various HUGE FARMS, Cattle RANCHES are in what is called the Biosphere area, just outside the park. This in connection with the Nature Conservatory of Canada. Guess what, through growth of poplar trees invading the ranch land, the ranchers, to keep the trees in check, and gave the cattle stop the trees, placed several salt blocks throughout this area. This same area is frequented by at times huge heards of Elk and White Tail deer. The Nature Conservatory of Canada involved.
So before those opposed to our little spreads of bait with hay alphalfa mix, some apples, COB ...... Again NO comparison to the Texas Tower Drop station or those supplying feed year round.

The crazy thing is we as hunters have a choice to bait and possibly screw things up. Some choose to take the baiting game to any level 1 pound of feed or 20 pounds.... does that make one ok and the other not.
What you give a ungulate may be enough to kill it without even knowing. Predation, CWD, Body Digestive System, the list goes on.

I guess until the effects are fully understood the questions will continue to haunt us all.

horshur
12-17-2017, 11:22 AM
Bownut..careful or you will get what you want. Low densities of ungulates to limit spread of cwd. Is that not the management strategy? Maybe we are already there?

Walking Buffalo
12-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Does BC have a plan IF Cwd is found?

2chodi
12-21-2017, 11:23 AM
Does BC have a plan IF Cwd is found?

The short answer is no, but I am sure the scientists working for government would appreciate support for moving in that direction. I think there are three animal health specialist working for F&W, and one is on mat leave until this time next year, and of course we all know about the state of funding for F&W.

2chodi
12-21-2017, 11:24 AM
CWD segment on CBC The Current this AM. The CWD segment starts at the 47 minute mark.

https://podcast-a.akamaihd.net/mp3/podcasts/current_20171221_36204.mp3

303savage
12-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Chronic Wasting Disease
The symptoms don't sound much different than some of us humans getting old :-)

butthead
10-20-2020, 06:30 AM

of my choice

BC-CWD
08-09-2023, 01:43 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Jake Hubner. I am not affiliated with the government but I am collaborating on the Chronic Wasting Disease Monitoring Program, primarily within the Okanagan. Having recently discovered this forum, I wanted to provide an update on CWD in BC and make sure folks know how the Program has been expanded and improved over the years.

First off, we are still collecting samples/heads for testing. As many as we can, all across the province. Sample submission is mandatory in 11 MUs in Region 4. CWD infected animals have been detected within natural range of the BC border, so the areas adjacent to Alberta and Montana are highest risk. However, as people have mentioned in this thread, there is also a risk of CWD arriving from carcasses transported from Alberta or other CWD-positive areas into BC. If this happens, the disease could appear anywhere. With this in mind, we are trying to get a baseline number of heads from each region through voluntary submissions in order to have a level of confidence that our wild populations are CWD-free. For example, the Okanagan target is 300 heads per year.

Hunters can contribute by dropping off the de-antlered head of a harvested deer, elk, or moose at one of our many freezer locations across the province (a full list can be found at https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/plants-animals-ecosystems/wildlife/wildlife-conservation/wildlife-health/chronic-wasting-disease/cwd-surveillance-and-testing). We’re adding freezers every year and will update the site accordingly when we do. For those interested in mounting the skull plate (any animal) or a European-style mount (deer only), this is also possible. The tissues we test are found in the back of the throat for deer and at the base of the skull for elk and moose, meaning you can remove the skull plate before submitting. For deer you can also just submit the low jaw with tissues (tonsils and lymph nodes) at the back of the throat.

All you need to do at the freezer is fill out a short ear tag with your contact info and the general area you shot your animal, zip-tie the tag to the head, and drop the bagged head off in the freezer (all these supplies will be available at the freezer). Make sure to keep your tag number so you can check out the results on our website once the results come in. Wildlife Health would only contact you directly if a test came up positive.

CWD is a very concerning disease that’s at BC’s doorstep. Preemptive detection and swift action can make the difference between keeping long-term prevalence rates low and having them get out of control. We have been able to learn a lot from the approaches and results of other states and provinces. If you’re interested, you can look at the recently updated monitoring and management plan here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/plants-animals-ecosystems/wildlife/wildlife-conservation/wildlife-health/chronic-wasting-disease/cwd-bc

We don’t have all the answers about CWD, but I’m happy to address questions or thoughts. Thanks for reading this update.

srupp
08-09-2023, 01:57 PM
hmmm had a draw in southern Alberta...buck looked fine however tested positive..head /meat was retrieved and incinerated at local co-gen plant.
on another hunt north of Quesnel noticed a emaciated bone RACK ELK..so far gone he was staggering..2 hours on the phone couldnt find anyone interested in the sick elk.gotta be better than that..
good luck on the project to deal with this issue.
cheers
Steven

Harvest the Land
08-09-2023, 02:57 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Jake Hubner and I am working with Provincial Wildlife Health on CWD monitoring, primarily as the Okanagan CWD Program coordinator. Having recently discovered this forum, I wanted to provide an update on CWD in BC and make sure folks know how we’ve expanded and improved the Program over the years.

First off, we are still collecting samples/heads for testing. As many as we can, all across the province. Sample submission is mandatory in 11 MUs in Region 4. CWD infected animals have been detected within natural range of the BC border, so the areas adjacent to Alberta and Montana are highest risk. However, as people have mentioned in this thread, there is also a risk of CWD arriving from carcasses transported from Alberta or other CWD-positive areas into BC. If this happens, the disease could appear anywhere. With this in mind, we are trying to get a baseline number of heads from each region through voluntary submissions in order to have a level of confidence that our wild populations are CWD-free. For example, our Okanagan target is 300 heads per year.

Hunters can contribute by dropping off the de-antlered head of a harvested deer, elk, or moose at one of our many freezer locations across the province (a full list can be found at https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/plants-animals-ecosystems/wildlife/wildlife-conservation/wildlife-health/chronic-wasting-disease/cwd-surveillance-and-testing). We’re adding freezers every year and will update the site accordingly when we do. For those interested in mounting the skull plate (any animal) or a European-style mount (deer only), this is also possible. The tissues we test are found in the back of the throat for deer and at the base of the skull for elk and moose, meaning you can remove the skull plate before submitting. For deer you can also just submit the low jaw with tissues (tonsils and lymph nodes) at the back of the throat.

All you need to do at the freezer is fill out a short ear tag with your contact info and the general area you shot your animal, zip-tie the tag to the head, and drop the bagged head off in the freezer (all these supplies will be available at the freezer). Make sure to keep your tag number so you can check out the results on our website once the results come in. We would only contact you directly if a test came up positive.

CWD is a very concerning disease that’s at BC’s doorstep. Preemptive detection and swift action can make the difference between keeping long-term prevalence rates low and having them get out of control. We have been able to learn a lot from the approaches and results of other states and provinces. If you’re interested, you can look at our recently updated monitoring and management plan here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/plants-animals-ecosystems/wildlife/wildlife-conservation/wildlife-health/chronic-wasting-disease/cwd-bc

We don’t have all the answers about CWD, but I’m happy to address questions or thoughts. Thanks for reading this update.

Hi Jake,

Thanks for the update.

Here's a question for you. How come we haven't built a wildlife fence along our borders with Montana, Idaho, Washington and Alberta? Yes I understand it would be very expensive and difficult terrain to navigate in certain areas, but its certainly possible to do. It seems to me that if the Province was genuinely serious about preventing CWD infected deer from entering the province, a logical first step would be to prevent any deer from any of those states and Alberta from being able to cross our border and enter the province by building a rugged durable impenetrable fence.

Why aren't we at the very least contemplating something like this? I understand that the border with the states would be federal jurisdiction and might make it harder to build a fence, but why not just build the fence back a few meters on our side of the border so it wouldn't interfere with the international border? Yes some migratory animals may suffer from not being able to cross back and forth but that is a small price to pay to ensure BC remains CWD free.

What am I missing here?

BC-CWD
08-09-2023, 02:58 PM
hmmm had a draw in southern Alberta...buck looked fine however tested positive..head /meat was retrieved and incinerated at local co-gen plant.
on another hunt north of Quesnel noticed a emaciated bone RACK ELK..so far gone he was staggering..2 hours on the phone couldnt find anyone interested in the sick elk.gotta be better than that..
good luck on the project to deal with this issue.
cheers
Steven

Thanks Steven, sorry to hear about your troubles with reporting. I'd recommend all reports with concerns of CWD be directed to the Wildlife Health Office (call 250 751-3219 (tel:250 751-3219) or email Cait.Nelson@gov.bc.ca).

You bring up a good point though; The vast majority if CWD-positive animals are going to look healthy. Once an animal picks up CWD prions, they start multiplying in the body. It can take 18 months or more before there's enough of them in the brain to start causing problems and the animal can be spreading prions around well before that happens. Once you start seeing physical symptoms they might only have a few weeks left, though it can vary.

BC-CWD
08-09-2023, 04:33 PM
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the update.

Here's a question for you. How come we haven't built a wildlife fence along our borders with Montana, Idaho, Washington and Alberta? Yes I understand it would be very expensive and difficult terrain to navigate in certain areas, but its certainly possible to do. It seems to me that if the Province was genuinely serious about preventing CWD infected deer from entering the province, a logical first step would be to prevent any deer from any of those states and Alberta from being able to cross our border and enter the province by building a rugged durable impenetrable fence.

Why aren't we at the very least contemplating something like this? I understand that the border with the states would be federal jurisdiction and might make it harder to build a fence, but why not just build the fence back a few meters on our side of the border so it wouldn't interfere with the international border? Yes some migratory animals may suffer from not being able to cross back and forth but that is a small price to pay to ensure BC remains CWD free.

What am I missing here?

You've covered the two biggest reasons. It can't be understated how prohibitively expensive a wildlife fence spanning the entire south and east border of BC would be, both to build and maintain. More importantly, we have no idea what blocking off all natural migration in and out of the province would do to our wildlife. Such a project would need multiple environmental impact studies on the risks to various species that use these border areas before getting started.

The third key factor is time. With the rate of CWD expansion in Montana, it's likely that we will have it show up in the province before such a project could ever be completed. It's possible there are CWD-positive animals already on our side of the border that we haven't detected. A fence also wouldn't prevent the risks of illegally transported carcasses from outside the province. For these reasons it would be near impossible to justify the extreme costs even if the money was available and it was decided the impacts were worth it. There have been suggestions about creating smaller fencing projects in border areas with high migratory deer traffic, which may be achievable in our projected time constraints.

Harvest the Land
08-09-2023, 08:01 PM
You've covered the two biggest reasons. It can't be understated how prohibitively expensive a wildlife fence spanning the entire south and east border of BC would be, both to build and maintain. More importantly, we have no idea what blocking off all natural migration in and out of the province would do to our wildlife. Such a project would need multiple environmental impact studies on the risks to various species that use these border areas before getting started.

The third key factor is time. With the rate of CWD expansion in Montana, it's likely that we will have it show up in the province before such a project could ever be completed. It's possible there are CWD-positive animals already on our side of the border that we haven't detected. A fence also wouldn't prevent the risks of illegally transported carcasses from outside the province. For these reasons it would be near impossible to justify the extreme costs even if the money was available and it was decided the impacts were worth it. There have been suggestions about creating smaller fencing projects in border areas with high migratory deer traffic, which may be achievable in our projected time constraints.

Why can't we walk and chew gum at the same time?

If we can find $8 billion to send the most corrupt country in Europe, then its absolutely possible to find X number of dollars to build a wildlife fence to prevent the devastating CWD from entering our province. (and I agree its most likely already here)

Do you think it might be a bit hyperbolic and not entirely accurate to say "we have no idea what blocking off all natural migration in and out of the province would do to our wildlife"? I have hard time believing that we have no idea what the impacts will be and no idea which populations will be affected - there has to be at least one Bio in the govt that has some idea; someone must have looked into this at some point. Why will study after study after study have to be done? Seems a tad overkill and its a large reason why some folks have negative opinions of government. Too many unnecessary "studies" and nothing gets done. Build the fence and constantly monitor those population dynamics of those animals who used to migrate across the border. Surely most will have no problem adjusting. And if after a year, 3 years, 5 years etc we're noticing major negative impacts on those migrating populations, then re-assess and adjust as necessary. If some populations struggle in the short term that would be unfortunate but a small price to pay to keep BC CWD free.

Of course time is of the essence but it doesn't mean that we still shouldn't start building fencing somewhere and do our best to mitigate/prevent/monitor CWD as best as possible in the meantime (walk & chew gum). At the very least we should install sections of fencing in high migratory deer areas. If the BC govt was genuinely taking this issue seriously they would have built those and a much broader fence a decade ago.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

BC-CWD
08-11-2023, 03:47 PM
Why can't we walk and chew gum at the same time?

If we can find $8 billion to send the most corrupt country in Europe, then its absolutely possible to find X number of dollars to build a wildlife fence to prevent the devastating CWD from entering our province. (and I agree its most likely already here)

Do you think it might be a bit hyperbolic and not entirely accurate to say "we have no idea what blocking off all natural migration in and out of the province would do to our wildlife"? I have hard time believing that we have no idea what the impacts will be and no idea which populations will be affected - there has to be at least one Bio in the govt that has some idea; someone must have looked into this at some point. Why will study after study after study have to be done? Seems a tad overkill and its a large reason why some folks have negative opinions of government. Too many unnecessary "studies" and nothing gets done. Build the fence and constantly monitor those population dynamics of those animals who used to migrate across the border. Surely most will have no problem adjusting. And if after a year, 3 years, 5 years etc we're noticing major negative impacts on those migrating populations, then re-assess and adjust as necessary. If some populations struggle in the short term that would be unfortunate but a small price to pay to keep BC CWD free.

Of course time is of the essence but it doesn't mean that we still shouldn't start building fencing somewhere and do our best to mitigate/prevent/monitor CWD as best as possible in the meantime (walk & chew gum). At the very least we should install sections of fencing in high migratory deer areas. If the BC govt was genuinely taking this issue seriously they would have built those and a much broader fence a decade ago.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

I realize that I was a bit too vague on this but to clarify, I don't work for the government. Just assisting with the program. I've edited my original post to make that clear for future readers. Apologies for the confusion.

We can all agree wildlife protection deserves more funding. The CWD Monitoring Program only gets so much per year from the province and every last dollar has been used as effectively as possible to get it to where it is now. There are plenty of ideas on the backburner if the funds are ever there for them. Reaching out to local representatives is the best route if we want to see them pushing to prioritize wildlife in the budget.