PDA

View Full Version : Bears n Arrows

Bow Walker
04-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Anybody got close enough to bag a bruin with their bow yet this year? Stories and fotos are always in demand.

Elkhound
04-25-2007, 03:38 PM
have carried the bow out a few times but it's been slow so far

Franko Manini
04-25-2007, 05:41 PM
Dan,

You and Hermit and I should get out soon. I always like hunting the long weekend in May. Let's set up at least a day hunt!

Sitkaspruce
04-25-2007, 09:57 PM
Christ, there is still a couple of feet of snow around in the bush around here. It will probably be some time in mid to late may before we can really count on a lot of bears being around. Was out today and was in 2-3' of the white crap still. But it is staying relatively warm now so break-up is upon us.

dave_fras
04-26-2007, 06:04 AM
im gonna head out after work today for a quick drive...ive been out twice..... but havent seen any sign

Bow Walker
04-26-2007, 08:47 AM
Don't forget to put your digi camera in the quiver!

Iron-Head
04-26-2007, 08:51 AM
I cant wait to get a bow and start hunting with it, It seems like a great sport that can lead to some great adventures.

Stone Sheep Steve
04-26-2007, 09:11 AM
Had the bow with me when I put a play on "Beer Belly". Had Boxhitch backing me with the 45-70. Unfortunately, he slipped out the back door while we were making our stock:sad: . Winds were favorable until we started getting close. Haven't been able to locate him since.
I've seen 5 other bears in the same general area but nothing worth looking at. Some nice color phases but no size.

SSS

Bow Walker
04-26-2007, 09:16 AM
Good luck to you guys. Someones gotta score soon.

Bow Walker
04-26-2007, 09:01 PM
Dan,

You and Hermit and I should get out soon. I always like hunting the long weekend in May. Let's set up at least a day hunt!
Hermit is heading out in about 2 weeks(?) for a bear hunt. He says he wants both the meat and the rug........

Personally I think he's a bit long in the tooth for a bareskin rug:twisted: ...........

But - then again - I did have the pleasure of being introduced to the WD !!8)

Kirby
04-26-2007, 09:08 PM
still waiting for them to wake up before I spend all my money on gas chasing them.

Kirby

The Hermit
04-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Dan - Franko has a great idea there. Lets plan to get out and fling some sticks at a bear or two. If you don't like the meat Franko and I will take it and get some peppi made up, it won't go to waste. We will also have a rifle as back-up too! It will be exciting mate!

Bow Walker
04-26-2007, 09:27 PM
Sounds like a plan. PM'd ya both..........

Brambles
05-05-2007, 02:05 PM
Waiting for my New Bow to show up so I can take a bear with it, if it arrives in time, been pretty slow as far as bears go around here lately. It will be better in a couple weeks.

Bow Walker
05-05-2007, 08:14 PM
You guys need to visit the Island. Bears have been up and about since oh, about Jan. 16th?:wink:

dave_fras
05-06-2007, 06:28 AM
i was out last for for a qucik drive..... as i came to the first little cut i saw a SMALL blackie in the ditch.... im surprised he wasnt with his mom still...... but he didnt have a care in the world.. i drove right one by the damn thing

oldtimer
05-06-2007, 07:14 AM
I hope to get out this week with WillyQ to do some scouting. There have been some sightings so might get lucky. Mike

mcrae
05-06-2007, 08:11 AM
I saw a beauty feeding last night but I didn't have the bow:frown: I was actually out helping put a mast up on a sale boat when I spotted it on a slope. It was a big one for sure!

Kirby
05-06-2007, 10:03 PM
was 8 yards at full draw from one tonight, but just can't bring myself to shoot a 5' bear.

Kirby

Bow Walker
05-07-2007, 08:41 AM
Being a rookie when it comes to hunting/shooting a bear, I am assuming a 5' bear is a young one?

If you're after meat isn't that a good thing - a younger bear?

Kirby
05-07-2007, 10:19 AM
a 5' bear is very young kinda like a spike buck. If all your looking for is meat then fill your boots, it would be very nice and tender. I was looking for a bit larger of a bear to get a bit more meat off it, and I like to say 5'6" minimum for bears I shoot.

Kirby

Elkhound
05-07-2007, 10:24 AM
a 5' bear is very young kinda like a spike buck. If all your looking for is meat then fill your boots, it would be very nice and tender. I was looking for a bit larger of a bear to get a bit more meat off it, and I like to say 5'6" minimum for bears I shoot.

Kirby

My way of thinking as well........but such an easy shot at that range was probably a little tempting eh?

Kirby
05-07-2007, 10:52 AM
For a couple of seconds I thought about it. He was feeding on the back side of a dirt pile, when he first came around I noticed the distance between his ears first and was really impressed, but he had his ears pulled back, as soon as he lifted his head he looked like mickey mouse and i lost the desire to take him. So I just said "Hey bear, your dead". Then walked away.

I'll be back out there this week looking for bears so maybe I'll tag out then.

Kirby

Bow Walker
05-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Don't forget your camera Kirby

30-06
05-07-2007, 02:33 PM
im hoping to get out with a rifle this weekend and next weekend.maybe even this week after school.its been really warm here.and the snow has been gone for a few weeks now so they will be out

dave_fras
05-08-2007, 06:00 AM
i saw a nice jet black bear with a diamond patch on its chest last nite... i figure it would have gone about 6 feet..... so i figured i would put the stalk on..... i got to about 30 yards.... and a lil cub decides to scare the crap outta me! haha.... it wasnt a fun 30 seconds.... she stood straight up and started clapping her teeth together....i started back away slowly for about 15 yards.... until i fell over a dead fall.... by the time i got up she was on the run in the other direction....my old man had a good laugh when i got back to the truck....haha... what a guy!... all in all.... it was a damn good lesson.... i think im gonna buy myself some bear spray!

tailgate77
05-08-2007, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the laugh. We went to Ucleulet this past weekend to visit the outlaws. We saw five bears on the highway. One we were able to drive within about ten feet of one and my wife took some great pics of it. he just layd there like a dog. Really cool. On the way home got to see a sow and cub. She shooed him up a tree, and she just watched us as we photo them to. She wasn't aggressive towards us. We were in the car though. We drove two hour up tofino inlet to virgin fall and didn't see one bear. Lots of crap. Go figure, always see more game along the highway than to woods.

Bow Walker
05-08-2007, 08:29 AM
I'm heading out with a bud soon - any suggestions for an area for a possible 'sighting' with my bow? We're doing the day trip thing out of Vict.

bochunk2000
05-08-2007, 09:25 AM
pm enroute bowwalker

jessbennett
05-08-2007, 10:18 AM
went out last night with the family and seen 6. stalked a nice brown go about 6.5. had a nice white patch on chest. was well in my personal distance zone,40 on the rangefinder, had a good broadside shot just decided to pass. stood up to walk back to me vehicle and it still fed towards where i was. if i had of decided to stay and shoot, 20 to 25 yards.8-) already have a 6.5 brown/auburn on the back of the couch, dont need another one. im waiting for the hogg daddy.:twisted:. theres about 8 or 9 bears that i have been watching grow and let me tell ya there is a few that are now gonna go 7.5 -8. seen one of the big boys tracks and poopy,. crap was bigger around that a pop can!!!i can be patient. i might go back out again tonight to get on a big boy... will bring camera....

Elkhound
05-08-2007, 10:39 AM
went out last night with the family and seen 6. stalked a nice brown go about 6.5. had a nice white patch on chest. was well in my personal distance zone,40 on the rangefinder, had a good broadside shot just decided to pass. stood up to walk back to me vehicle and it still fed towards where i was. if i had of decided to stay and shoot, 20 to 25 yards.8-) already have a 6.5 brown/auburn on the back of the couch, dont need another one. im waiting for the hogg daddy.:twisted:. theres about 8 or 9 bears that i have been watching grow and let me tell ya there is a few that are now gonna go 7.5 -8. seen one of the big boys tracks and poopy,. crap was bigger around that a pop can!!!i can be patient. i might go back out again tonight to get on a big boy... will bring camera....
Wow, got me excited now Jess, but the wife got her bear last night so now I can concentrate on one with the bow

jessbennett
05-08-2007, 10:59 AM
yeah its a really good area. no body really knows the bear population is soo high in there so they dont bother going. suits me fine too.:lol:.... spent alot of time in there though. any other stick flickers around williams lake like bear hunting, let me know, or ayone else who bow hunts who might want to come up for a weekend let me know, love taking guys bear hunting....:lol: BOW ONLY>>>>>>