PDA

View Full Version : 7-03 High country mule deer

Flingin' Sticks
08-11-2015, 05:22 PM
Hey Everyone

I've got a goat draw coming up in 7-03, just east of McBride. I've got a buddy coming along with me, although he doesn't have a tag. The more I look at some of the areas in my zone, the more I think it looks like there may be deer kicking around in the lower elevations. While my whole focus is on Goat, I don't want to be the only one to be hunting. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pack in a bow and a Mulie tag on the chance we might come across a deer. Anyone have any experience with this?

Many thanks

swampthing
08-11-2015, 08:15 PM
I cant help you with this but I have always wondered as well. I have never seen a deer in the alpine between McBride and PG but it sure looks like they should be there.

Husky7mm
08-11-2015, 08:54 PM
In recent times they seem to be mostly in the farm fields, hardly ever saw any in the mountains around there. Some nice alpine up there but the deer dont seem to be in it. Back in the day they were and people had decent success hunting them too, a few brutes were taken, but something has changed there or perhaps the total population is down and the few still kicking around are on private land in the main valley bellow. One of the biggest WT bucks ever taken in the province was taken there in the zone your goat draw is in btw.
As far as the goat draw goes they are pretty generous on tags around there cause success rates are low and access is tough. I have lost traxk of how many people I now know that have drawn goat tags up there and came back with nothing cause it appeared too difficult to get to the goats. Good luck, if I were you I wiuld be bringing a rifle too.

BCHunterTV
07-09-2016, 07:34 AM
curious to how you made out?

what zone did you have?

I have zone H and have been told its a hard area to hunt,

Hey Everyone

I've got a goat draw coming up in 7-03, just east of McBride. I've got a buddy coming along with me, although he doesn't have a tag. The more I look at some of the areas in my zone, the more I think it looks like there may be deer kicking around in the lower elevations. While my whole focus is on Goat, I don't want to be the only one to be hunting. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pack in a bow and a Mulie tag on the chance we might come across a deer. Anyone have any experience with this?

Many thanks