PDA

View Full Version : Smell the flowers?

exv
08-11-2015, 09:03 AM
Hey guys, thought I'd post something different going into the season. What's your opinion ... is it time to "enjoy the scenery" or time to "get back at er". Had an interest conversation last night at a dinner.

I quess it's important to give you some relevant background info. I'm in my early 20 with a solid carreer and fully independant. So, last month I finished my last year of schooling .. but havent been working since. Keeping in mind that my choice of work requires me to be away for 4 weeks at a time, during dinner someone asked when I was going back to work. Being the youngest at the table by at least half it was a loaded question, I replied "December ... mabye January". I followed up by explaining that I was going to take this entire fall off to go hunting, I've always sacraficed hunting for work and my carreer and that this year that wasn't going to happen. It's always been a goal of mine, and this fall im going to cut my first tag. I got the same reactions from everyone at the table, that what I had just said was foolish. Comments like "you should work now while you have to opportunity, considering the economy" and "you will have the odd weekend here and there still ... wont you?". I mean I get it, what good is a deer or elk in your freezer if you cant pay the bill to plug your freezer in.

None of these individuals are hunters but each and everyone of them are extremely successful people. So, Im interested in your opinions ... what would your reaction have been?. If you where at this table, what would you say?. Is it irresponsible to put your commitments and other peoples expectations aside or is a guys crazy not to just let his hair down and just got for it?.

Not sure about you guys ... but I'm going hunting!. Hope this season bring many priceless memories for everyone.

EXV

RugDoctor
08-11-2015, 09:29 AM
I say if you have the means, go for it. You have the rest of your life to work, and you sound like the kinda guy who will....go...have a great time.

TPK
08-11-2015, 09:34 AM
Work will always be there for you in one form or another .. the game animals, hunting spots, your health etc. may not be , go while you can and there will be one less regret tugging at your conscience when you're reflecting on your life....

tuner
08-11-2015, 09:35 AM
Go have fun,you're young, you have the rest of your life to miss out on stuff you want to do because of your career.

Tikka270
08-11-2015, 09:36 AM
You're at the right place looking for the answer you want! Go for it and enjoy while you can.

wideopenthrottle
08-11-2015, 09:37 AM
I just make hay while the sun shines cuz I am old school (work when work is there /pay your dues attitude)...I get 6 weeks holiday every year in sept so hunting gets first kick at them.....I would say if you have saved enough cash to pay your bills and have a bit of a cushion (what if you get sick or hurt and can't go back to work in dec)? do you have family that you can rely on in that scenario...lots of factors to consider. a break between school and work can be justifiable especially if you are entering into a career/permanent type job but if you are in a trade/transient type job you may not be wise to turn down work..just my 2 cents

markt308
08-11-2015, 09:47 AM
I have dreamed of hunting all season many times! I know it will never happen until I'm retired and I'm only 29 now so it's gonna be a while. I traveled for 6 months when I was 21, traveled again with my wife for 3 months in 2013. Work and the craziness of life is always waiting for me the moment I get off the plane at YVR. You're even younger than me. I say go for it now while you (i'm assuming) don't have anyone else to provide for but yourself, and you can financially get away with it, cause it may not happen again for decades! Having said that, be smart about it! When December comes get your ass to work haha! You did all that school so make sure you don't miss the boat. Have fun. I'm totally jealous

ajr5406
08-11-2015, 10:04 AM
Make the most of your independence and opportunity. Once you have a family and financial constraints, you won't get that opportunity until your kids are grown up.

I have two kids and it's tough to get out fishing for a half day every month or two. As supportive as my wife is I will always put my family first.

While your young and not tied down, make the most of your time. As said before, work will always be there. Time is more valuable than money.

ajr5406
08-11-2015, 10:06 AM
On a side note, employees value life experience. Make the most of your opportunities

exv
08-11-2015, 10:28 AM
It's not just about reinsuring my desicions or looking for advice. Id be doing this regardless, if we can get someone else too as well ... how cool!

Thanks for the support!! ... 21 more sleeps

mrdoog
08-11-2015, 10:29 AM
I've been in the workforce for 38 years, 25 of those in a job that has shifts to cover 24/7/365.
Looking back over the years I am thankful to be gainfully employed, however my fondest memories aren't of working, they are of
time spent with my brother and Dad hunting and fishing.
If you can manage to hunt for the entire season, do it, otherwise before you know it something will come up that will prevent you from doing it and you'll
regret it for the rest of your life.

08-11-2015, 10:33 AM
Time is more valuable than money.

As l enter my golden years l find this more true then ever. (wait a minute, l AM in my golden years, just forgot for minute! ;-))A means to support oneself is always a worthy endevour but if you give up everything for success waiting till all circumstances in your life allow to do what ever you want.......you may find the time never happens or when it does, your not the person you were in your youth. Blend work and pleasure, no one has any promises how long the ride will last ........

Wentrot
08-11-2015, 10:40 AM
Live damnit, live....you will regret it if ya don't. Have a great season!

russm
08-11-2015, 10:57 AM
36 days off coming up soon an a good portion of them will be hunting and fishing, I put if aside too much every year so this year I made it a point to be able to get out as much as I can.

Everett
08-11-2015, 10:58 AM
Live for the now not for the uncertain future. I have a friend who has always been famous for lets do it next year(mountain bike trips, hunting trips, ski trips) but next year never comes. So now he is 45 in crap health and he can't do any of the above because he is fat and out of shape but he is no better off than myself and our other friends who have been doing the trips and making work a second choice in life while he is been working his guts out.

emerson
08-11-2015, 11:25 AM
If no one else depends on you, giver. On your deathbed you will not say "I should have been more of a workaholik."

Ajsawden
08-11-2015, 11:54 AM
EXV,

I did exactly what you are planning on doing when I got out of school in my early 20's. It certainly is one of my best years yet. I fished and I hunted and I travelled and I regret nothing from it. I was totally out of money on December 20th, 2009 and accepted a job on the 22nd. My first paycheck came in January just before my visa was due. I have not had more than a week off in a row since then and my hunting while successful has never been as rewarding. I always feel rushed and have tonnes of pressure on me to find and shoot game in the limited time I can get out. That fall I chose to hunt and passed up 22 blacktail bucks before finally shooting a really big 3x2. It was the first time I'd ever had time to go on a moose hunt with my dad and got my first moose with him and we spent the rest of the week fishing. We went on a 10 day interior Mule Deer and I managed to stumble upon a real whopper of a buck. You will likely never, NEVER, get an opportunity like this one again. I hope you take lots of pictures and tell lots of stories and hopefully can find the time to share them with us. I'm excited for you! Good luck and Have Fun!!

Sofa King
08-11-2015, 12:30 PM
go hunting.
and i would say the same whatever yourcinterest was.
sieze the moment when its there.
lots of people put everything off with the thinking that theyll have lots of time when they are retired.
piss on that.
get the most out of life while you are young and healthy.
live for today.

Sofa King
08-11-2015, 12:34 PM
Live for the now not for the uncertain future. I have a friend who has always been famous for lets do it next year(mountain bike trips, hunting trips, ski trips) but next year never comes. So now he is 45 in crap health and he can't do any of the above because he is fat and out of shape but he is no better off than myself and our other friends who have been doing the trips and making work a second choice in life while he is been working his guts out.

yup, i have a similar friend.
he has passed on almost free trips to the yukon, endless fishing trips, etc.
and he loves that shit.
he just always thinks there will be another opportunity later.
and this many years later, he hasnt done anything or gone anywhere.

Boner
08-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Solid career but unemployed? Work while you can get it. I didn't blast my first ungulate until I was 26, there's tons of time for you.

Everett
08-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Sounds like the same guy :shock: the funny thing if you actually get him out there he is in heaven.

yup, i have a similar friend.
he has passed on almost free trips to the yukon, endless fishing trips, etc.
and he loves that shit.
he just always thinks there will be another opportunity later.
and this many years later, he hasnt done anything or gone anywhere.

BRvalley
08-11-2015, 01:01 PM
just go hunting already, maybe toss in some fishing too

I was in your shoes not that long ago, I compromised and took only a month off between jobs, but I wish I took the entire fall off....sounds like you're smart enough, educated, unless you have a career in a saturated market and good jobs are tight, go for it....I've never been unemployed for more than a month, turned 30 last year...my next job change will be planned around hunting season

live the dream while you're young and able to do it right....the older you get, the more overhead you build, and then are forced to work...mortgages, truck payments, kids, etc, etc...do it while you're young

hopefully you post some of your success

Glenny
08-11-2015, 01:05 PM
Sounds like you have your priorities in order. Have a great season.

08-11-2015, 03:16 PM
Do a big tip up north hire a packer , via horseback, jet boat or plane .... Or hike in off the road ...... A drop camp ....... No not guided, self guided. You won't regret it ! Once you do one you will do SEVERAL , very affordable quality hunts available ...... In a number of years you and future wifey may have kids and it gets WAY MORE unaffordable to the average family.
My pack trips , either drop camps or do it yourselfers have been some of the best hunts of my life. Get into them hard to get at places NOW when you can afford it.

You our will only get out of it what you put into it. Work hard, get in shape, don't be afraid to network and ask questions.

Join in the BCWF or the BCWSS. Join a local fish and game club. They are great organizations.

Gateholio
08-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Several times in my life I've been fortunate enough to take extended periods off from working. Longest was about 18 months. Don't ever regret it.

Nobody has ever been lying on their deathbed and wishing they worked more. Well, maybe Jimmy Pattison will. :)

two-feet
08-11-2015, 05:29 PM
Hurry up living or hurry up dying. Lots of time to work in your life. Take lots of pics and keep us in the loop! What is your first target?

nature girl
08-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Now that is great you are going to take some time off and go hunting. Do it why you can. Now enjoy yourself.

Katanajay
08-11-2015, 08:40 PM
I say go and enjoy your self now and worry about work later, it will always be out there. As a 24 year old I took the chance on a job in the Caribbean that turned into 17 years living down there living the beach life. Been back in Canada now a few years and glad to be back and able to enjoy this beautiful province. Will be out on my first hunt opening weekend, taking a few days off work to get out and enjoy it.
This will be the best few months you have ever had and worth it in life experiences.

Daybreak
08-11-2015, 08:51 PM
I say do it while you can. You never know what's coming at you just around the corner. Some of the expressions being posted are hilarious..." Live damn it, live" ... "Hurry up living or hurry up dying". Truer words were never spoken.

I can only see one draw back; you take the whole season and there may be no returning to the working slugs season. Once you have tasted the forbidden fruit you will always want it. You will enjoy the benefit of quiet weekdays in the bush and not feeling pressure to hunt hard during the hectic weekends. Make the most of your season of a lifetime and good luck. Look forward to hearing some good stories.

HarryToolips
08-11-2015, 09:06 PM
if Ya can afford it go hunting, enjoy....hell you should be out killing rabbit right now..

weatherbyjunkie
08-11-2015, 09:10 PM
1)can't put a price on memories
2)as mentioned,the climate/hunting spots/opportunities/health/finance may not always be there
3)if u want to do this then do it,what's the hold up. Work is always there for smart&capable people

keep in mind that my hunting partner takes every season off,while I only off 17 days consecutive for our horseback trip. Every year he harvests more animals,sees more stuff Md generally has a better fall. Do do as I say not as I do and take the fall off

Rob Chipman
08-11-2015, 09:25 PM
https://youtu.be/8W-0KHHdM0o

Squamch
08-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Go for it. I recently took a week long, almost totally unplanned trip up north. If you can just take off with no set schedule other than "goin' huntin'" then by God do it!
Good times are waiting for you!

Brez
08-12-2015, 11:26 AM
Don't wait till you're retired. If you make it that long, your health and stamina won't be the same. Your priorities will probably change as well. You cannot put a price on experiences and memories. You can always make money. maximize your time out there as much as your other responsibilities will allow. Good luck. Oh, and take lots of photos.

jamesvtr
08-12-2015, 11:50 AM
as long as your not putting someone out go for it i wish i did when i was younger. I have an unhealthy wife and 2 young kids so i go from work to familly. as my boys get older i can spend more time in the bush or lake side with them. family always comes first life becomes a balance as you get older so take advantage of it now. and dont get me wrong i wouldnt change my life for a second but i could of done more when i had no responsibilities have fun!