PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory Assistant Guides License

bcbooner
08-11-2015, 06:58 AM
Just wondering if anyone written the online exam for the Assistant Guides license that's new for 2015.Seems like another money grab,didn't see a problem with the old system.

chilcotin hillbilly
08-11-2015, 07:27 AM
the old system was good until you had a guide get sick, or hurt or go home because he missed his girlfriend. It could take weeks sometimes to get a new assistant license for a new guide.
the new system is not a money grab, how much do think it cost to put this together? I doubt it will ever break even, it was to make life a little easier doing business.

GoatGuy
08-11-2015, 07:39 AM
the old system was good until you had a guide get sick, or hurt or go home because he missed his girlfriend. It could take weeks sometimes to get a new assistant license for a new guide.
the new system is not a money grab, how much do think it cost to put this together? I doubt it will ever break even, it was to make life a little easier doing business.

How much did it cost to put together?

How much does it cost to get an assistant license?

Downtown
08-11-2015, 07:51 AM

While the old system was a Joke there is no need to make a new system so expensive. No matter wha,t in the end the Outfitter is the one which is and has the responsibility for his Guides so it should be him which issues the Assistant Guides Licence which could be done for the $50.** fee they sold in the old days.

604redneck
08-11-2015, 08:10 AM
Goabc should have had to pay to build the new system

emerson
08-11-2015, 11:31 AM
What is involved, hopefully from someone who has been through the process? I will also look online...

mfarrally
08-11-2015, 11:44 AM
Pretty sure it was around $250. It's for life. I spend more than that on tags and licence every year and those don't make me money. Get off your wallet

Cali
08-11-2015, 12:24 PM
Pretty sure it was around $250. It's for life. I spend more than that on tags and licence every year and those don't make me money. Get off your wallet

Couldn't agree more. Nurses pay $200-$300 a year. I'm sure lots of guys on here pay some steep Union dues. Same scatt, different pile.

northernguy
08-11-2015, 03:13 PM
My problem with it is this...If the Government requires an entity to hold a License or Permit in order to participate in an activity or exercise a privilege; then the Government has the fiduciary responsibility to administer that process themselves (not with the use of a third party). If the Government is unable or unwilling to do so, then it's not in the public interest to have such licenses or permits.

By administering the Licensing in this manner I have to question the process from a Charter point of view. It's clear the the administration of both this and the CORE program through the use of 3rd parties, forces an individual into an monopolized association in order to obtain a license or permit required by regulation. I'm not too sure how legal that is. If the Government requires the completion of a course to obtain a License or Permit, the course should be available through more than one vendor to ensure freedom of association...otherwise it's a monopoly.

It chaps me that after 20 years of being an Assistant Guide I now have to pay $250 to a private entity (that I don't want anything to with) in order to get the accreditation needed to hold the license...and that I can't select another course provider because the Government has not given the authority to run the course to anyone else. It's not the money...it's the fact that I don't have the option choose who gets it.

Let's be fair. Give the GOABC and the BCWF the right to offer BOTH the CORE program and the Assistant Guide exam. Then I can choose who I want my money to go.

Any lawyers out there want to take this on pro bono?

bearvalley
08-11-2015, 04:05 PM
How much does it cost to get an assistant license?

The initial license is $250. It's to be renewed every 5 years for a $50 fee.
Anyone that fails the exam on the first try had best look for another career.
Some outfitters pay the exam fees for their assistant guides, the same as they did before GOABC took over administration of the licensing process.
Long time assistant guides should have been grandfathered and the test made as an initial screen for newbies for what it's worth.

emerson
08-11-2015, 07:02 PM
I'm surprised assistants that could prove former employment weren't grandfathered. GOBC administering the exam does seem a conflict of interest. Otherwise, from my online investigations, seems a relatively simple process.