PDA

View Full Version : Day trip from New West

Phoneguy
04-25-2007, 12:58 PM
I have a whole 1 day off on Sunday. Is there anywhere to go for a day trip from the lower mainland for bear, that would be worth spending the time and money on gas? Skagit? Harrison?, Squamish?

Thanks

BearSniper
04-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Phoneguy

Answer....yes , yes and yes.

Bears in the Lower mainland should really be out by now. All locations are good:)

Barracuda
04-25-2007, 02:23 PM
you might want to consider the road conditions as a large portion of them are in ruins

gearjunkierob
04-25-2007, 06:14 PM
I recieved word last week that the Highways contractor has started working on the Silver/Skagit road and it is now clear through to the border. It's not graded out and "glass" but it should be drivable with a 2wd. Have fun wherever you decide to go.

Rob

BearSniper
04-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Hey thats great news, thanks for the update

Theres Bears in there..........go get 'em:lol:

rollingrock
04-25-2007, 11:35 PM
I checked Environment Canada's web site. This spring's temperature is a little lower than average in LM. There're bears out walking, but not very many. BC interior's temperature is just about right. That explains why quite a few bears have been taken out of Boston Bar. That being said, even if the temperature is a little higher, don't forget that a lot of spurs were washed out.

7mmag
04-26-2007, 04:14 AM
My Dad just chased one out of his front yard last night. Try the lynn valley mall!:grin:

ruger#1
04-26-2007, 07:03 AM
There is one around here knocking my bird feeders down.

Steeleco
04-26-2007, 08:06 AM
Apperently the road from Chealis to Harrison is no longer, lots of chance for bears on Harrison west. Chealis can be good too, but better when they're connected!!!

Tarp Man
04-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Ruger, my parents have spotted that bruin. She is out and about with one cub this year. Last year she had two? Anyways, it seems she is making the rounds.

kishman
04-26-2007, 01:37 PM
If you decide on the Skagit remember there's no hunting in the park itself this time of year. If memory serves I think there's roughly 30km of road from Silver lake to the park entrance with a number of spur roads off of that. Good Luck!

kishman

mr eagle
04-26-2007, 06:28 PM
I don't hunt bear, but have seen more of them while blacktail hunting or fishing in the Chehalis/Harrison area than any of the other local spots ie Skagit, Chilliwack, Squamish etc.

BCLongshot
04-26-2007, 07:22 PM
Chehalis washed out more on the east side towards West Harrison. I was there last weekend with my parole officer.

Couldn't find anything. Should be getting more action now though.

ruger#1
04-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Get a boat and head up to the north end of stave lake, Lots of bears in that area.

BCLongshot
04-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Good tip, that would be be a good hunt.

ruger#1
04-26-2007, 08:05 PM
Cattermole logging was auctioned off, about a month ago, some logging gates should have been taken down.

rollingrock
04-26-2007, 09:02 PM
I do remember someone here said that this year's bear hunting could be slower because of heavier snow and lower temperature as some bears could have been killed right in their dens. A friend of mine told me last week there were two young bears showed up in Whistler. Both were in pretty bad shape. But same time last year there were bears everywhere over there, some even stayed up through the winter. Like yesterday tons of deer were moving, and grass looked pretty, but temperature was lower than last year. So no bear. There was no body in the whole area except me, no hunting pressure. Some deer even walked on main road. But no bear. Even these deer were skinnier than last year.