PDA

View Full Version : Mountain back packing food.

slyfox
08-10-2015, 07:07 PM
Hi fellow hunters just getting ready for my mountain hunt for grizzly and caribou.
So getting ready to buy some mountain house food products.
Was hoping to get some info on what flavors are good and bad.
Thanks Slyfox.

sky-gunner
08-10-2015, 07:27 PM
Mac and cheese product is terrible. Chilli mac and beef stroganoff are good, same with lasagna. Those are my favs.

Elkchaser
08-10-2015, 08:22 PM
Turkey tetrazzini good, potatoe meals negative (buy powdered galic flavoured spuds by Idohoan - yum with sliced heart or liver). They make a pack that has black beans in title, stuff nearly killed me sharing a tent with a guy who had a serious gas reaction to it... Twice!

islandhunter
08-10-2015, 08:24 PM
you wouldnt be sorry to have all chicken teriyaki!!(spelling?)

crownandanchor
08-10-2015, 11:46 PM
Simple choices but some of the better ones of Mountain House - spaghetti with meat sauce, lasagna, chili mac, chicken vindaloo, and the breakfast skillet is not bad in a burrito.

digger dogger
08-11-2015, 07:18 AM
Try uncle bens bistro rice, takes less water 100ml
And cooks in 3-4mins. I split up my dinners, 1/2 mountain house, 1/2 uncle bens rice, with some chorizo.
Less water, less gas to cook, and goes down better than MH. Lasagna, and stroganoff are the MH meal i can stomach.

6.5x55mm
08-11-2015, 07:30 AM
The only MH I cant truly get down is the beef stew.

GoatGuy
08-11-2015, 07:42 AM
Ichiban chow mein is 500 cal/package, 2 packages make a good meal. It's cheap, light and has a pile of calories - good to have for a day or two.

The alpine air stuff is good, doesn't seem to be as much gas associated either.

Ohwildwon
08-11-2015, 07:46 AM
Dont forget this girl....

http://www.heatherschoice.com/

jackson13
08-11-2015, 08:31 AM
make your own dehydrated meals....way better for you

Wentrot
08-11-2015, 08:38 AM
I just made up a big batch of chili and got it all dehydrated and packed in to meal size vaccume packed portions. It was more of a test run before attempting other things-turned out great.

trashheap
08-11-2015, 09:22 AM
The Mountain House pro packs are vacuum sealed and pack way nicer. The only problem is there are very few options.

KodiakHntr
08-11-2015, 09:25 AM
Hi fellow hunters just getting ready for my mountain hunt for grizzly and caribou.
So getting ready to buy some mountain house food products.
Was hoping to get some info on what flavors are good and bad.
Thanks Slyfox.

I always love the "what foods am I going to like" threads at this time of year.....

Only way to know, if it is a concern to you, is to try 'em all before you go. But if you get hungry enough, you'll eat anything.

caddisguy
08-11-2015, 11:04 AM
We eat Mountain House on some of our trips. They are certainly convenient and have a very long shelf life. Decent taste for space food too. I like the chicken teriyaki, chicken breast / mashed potato and some of the breakfast ones... like "omelet" or scrambled eggs with bacon.

Though a nice warm salty space food is good for morale and can give a little bit of energy, I find it's best to supplement with other food if possible. It's subtle, but if you're ever hunting and start to feel unmotivated like your halfassing stuff or giving it less than your all, it's easy to think "thats just how I feel today" ... question the food. A Mountain House exclusive diet can mess with ones head.

One of my favorites is store bought canned sockeye with the pop-top. Pick them up when they go on sale. Expiry is usually 5 years later and they're probably good for another 5 years after that. It's not uncommon to see cans >300 grams 2 for $5. That's a lot of protein/calcium and 2 or 3 of these in your pack isn't too bad unless you're going hardcore and counting grams. Add some fresh garlic or onion or mix it in with that Mountain House mac & cheese.

Frozen foods can last well into the second or third day of a hot September trip too. I've frozen things like cooked steaks, chicken, sausages, etc and even in 30 degree heat, they were great well into the second evening. Two less days of Mountain House is worth the extra weight and prep.

bearvalley
08-11-2015, 04:18 PM
The only MH I cant truly get down is the beef stew.
Had some MH lasagna once when it was real cold. Couldn't bring the water close to a boil. The end result was like Friday nights dinner during a Saturday morning hangover. Haven't been able to eat it since.
Some of there other stuff is.....OK.
You don't have to worry about constipation on a MH diet, along with that it's light.

sky-gunner
08-11-2015, 04:29 PM
I always love the "what foods am I going to like" threads at this time of year.....

Only way to know, if it is a concern to you, is to try 'em all before you go. But if you get hungry enough, you'll eat anything.
Could be at ten bucks a meal hes looking to not waste a bunch of money.

Krico
08-11-2015, 05:11 PM
I've never had a problem wolfing down MH after a day in the mountains - pretty much everything tastes good at that point.
I like Mac and Cheese & beef stroganoff best. Last year we also took some of the new Backpackers Pantry flavours and we liked them best. If I remember they were spicier Asian dishes.

MH chicken teriyaki was our least fave. To each his own. We all have different tastes.

KodiakHntr
08-11-2015, 05:14 PM
Could be at ten bucks a meal hes looking to not waste a bunch of money.

5 meals at $8.99 each is a minor cost compared to the fuel alone involved on heading out on a backpack trip....

I've never had a problem wolfing down MH after a day in the mountains - pretty much everything tastes good at that point.
I like Mac and Cheese & beef stroganoff best. Last year we also took some of the new Backpackers Pantry flavours and we liked them best. If I remember they were spicier Asian dishes.

MH chicken teriyaki was our least fave. To each his own. We all have different tastes.

Nailed it.... Won't know until you try it.

hunter fisher
08-11-2015, 05:25 PM
Mountain house is awesome. its tasty, packed with calories, convenient. i take 90% mountain house on backpack hunts. i even eat it at home if I'm lazy, which is often.

it last for something like 15 years in the pouches. so unless this is the last backpack hunt you plan on doing, don't be afraid to buy a lot of extra.

theres a website called 72hours survival. they are located in burnaby i think and have the best prices around on mh. they offer free 2 day shipping too if you spend 75 bucks or something and no tax because its food.

order 2 or 3 of every kind that sounds appealing to you. eat one of each flavour and see what you like and make sure it all agrees with your stomach.

i get some from cabelas in the states too. they have some meals that they can't sell in canada due to food colouring or additives or something. doesnt really scare me because i only eat them a few times a year.

oh and MEC sells them too, and back packer pantry and alpine air, also have free shipping and definitely the best canadian selection.

good luck!

DMD
08-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Personally I'm not a fan of the mountain house. It just seems like such a departure from my normal diet. Dehydrating meals at home seems to produce a much better meal in my eyes. Any sort of one pot rice or pasta meal seems to work well. Cook it up, spread on dehydrator trays and let it crank for a while. It can also be done in the oven at low temp with the door cracked. Once finished pack in ziplocks or vacuum seal.

When ready to eat add equal parts dehydrated food and water. Bring to a boil remove from heat and let sit for a couple minutes. Taste very similar to eating a meal at home. Way cheaper than mountain house and tastier.

It does seem that using ground meat rehydrated better than other cuts such as stew

anyways just my opinion.

slyfox
08-11-2015, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the info everyone some good ideas on this post... appreciate the help.

One thing I love about this site is that there is ALWAYS a NEGATIVE NANCY on almost every post. Wasn't inquiring about COST was inquiring about TASTE suggestions! Whatevs...#byefelicia

I have done lot's of mountain hunting and tried lots of different food on the mountain. Just thought I'd get some new ideas.

Thanks again!

combine pilot
08-11-2015, 10:44 PM
Beef stroganoff
noodles and chicken
turkey tetrazzini
Lasagna with meat sauce
pasta primavera
sweet and sour pork.
I find that anything with noodles or rice are the best. Potatoes in things like the stews do not seem to soak up enough water so you end up with croutons.

Jrax
08-11-2015, 11:28 PM
pad thai in either MH or backpackers pantry... cant remember which but it was good.

SR80
08-12-2015, 06:25 AM
Usually a MH user but this year I'm using Alpine aire. Wayy less sodium, and better selection of flavours. Heard nothing but positive feedback about them. Also for lunches I'll be eating peanut butter/honey bacon bagels. approx 700 cals for one 6.5 oz bagel. Then just the regular trail mix, cliff bar, and jerky for snacks throughout the day

BgBlkDg
08-12-2015, 06:59 AM
Does anyone like the Canadian *Natures Harvest* meals. I like some of them very much, especially with a little personal modding, such as a bit of Olive Oil added and some extra time simmering.

For, shorter trips, I used to use *Magic Pantry*, now long gone and would mod these a bit into fairly decent dinners.

I like Granola bars and strong tea for breakfast and nuts, cheese pieces and jerky for lunch. Simple, works and is not overly costly.

ryanb
08-12-2015, 07:41 AM
Don't be afraid to try the"other" brands like backpackers pantry and alpine aire etc. While I find mountain house is pretty consistently good all their options are somewhat bland. Backpackers pantry has some good tasty options, I seem to recall some sort of Thai pouch being really good. A good variety is key.

Don't be afraid to spend a couple hundred bucks testing stuff out before the trip. A small expense that will make your hunt much more enjoyable.

Pepperettes, Ritz cheese crackers, jelly beans are some items I like to include in my lunches on top of the usual granola bars, jerky etc.

Do not underestimate the importance of good food on your enjoyment of a backpack hunt. I use to cheap out on my food and this is a big mistake,

skid
08-12-2015, 09:10 AM
I like to bring dehydrated fruit and vegitables from home. The fruit is great to snack on and the veggies are nice for extra flavor in the dehydrated meals.

porthunter
03-18-2020, 03:44 PM
Going to bump this thread.

Recently had the chance to get my hands on some Peak Refuel, and that stuff is leaps and bounds ahead of anything else on the market.

It is slightly more expensive, but well worth it.

pg83
03-18-2020, 04:49 PM
Going to bump this thread.

Recently had the chance to get my hands on some Peak Refuel, and that stuff is leaps and bounds ahead of anything else on the market.

It is slightly more expensive, but well worth it.

Agreed as far as their dinners go but not a big fan of their breakfast skillet personally. The taste is great, but weight/cal and bulk are far behind some of the oatmeal/granola options out there.

That said, they aren't the cleanest foods out there either. Off-Grid Food Co. out of Washington state is a great option for those looking to eat actual food products. Another price point above Peak, but super good.

porthunter
03-18-2020, 05:07 PM
Agreed as far as their dinners go but not a big fan of their breakfast skillet personally. The taste is great, but weight/cal and bulk are far behind some of the oatmeal/granola options out there.

That said, they aren't the cleanest foods out there either. Off-Grid Food Co. out of Washington state is a great option for those looking to eat actual food products. Another price point above Peak, but super good.

More of an oatmeal man, simple and all I need. Not a big breakfast guy.

As for the cleanliness of foods... come on Pete, I'm only 25 and still wolf down Mcds 3 times a week, probably should start looking at that closer though.. :lol:

264mag
03-18-2020, 05:07 PM
We started dehydrating our own meals last year. Never going back. Meals are the morale booster you need in the back country. A little taste of home goes a long ways. Not to mention the weight to calorie benefits. We have it down to an individual basis now, all of our portions are sized to the individuals appetite and calorie count. We make them throughout the year and then vacuum seal and freeze them.

albravo2
03-18-2020, 05:27 PM
We started dehydrating our own meals last year. Never going back. Meals are the morale booster you need in the back country. A little taste of home goes a long ways. Not to mention the weight to calorie benefits. We have it down to an individual basis now, all of our portions are sized to the individuals appetite and calorie count. We make them throughout the year and then vacuum seal and freeze them.

Are they a similar weight per calorie as compated to the freeze dried stuff? I really like the idea of dehydrating my own cooking.

Bustercluck
03-18-2020, 06:13 PM
Are they a similar weight per calorie as compated to the freeze dried stuff? I really like the idea of dehydrating my own cooking.
I don't know the comparison for weight to calorie ratio, but the last time I ate a mountain house I shit my pants.

Ive been dehydrating for a few years. I've been loosely following "recipes for adventure". His method is to dehydrate everything separately and then assemble meals from all of the components. I do some of this and also just throw things like chili or spaghetti sauce right in the dehydrator.

264mag
03-18-2020, 06:52 PM
My method might be stupid simple but it works for us. We cook our meals as normal only making a few extra portions. Once we are done eating we portion the leftovers out on a plate and measure what each of us would eat. Example: I eat a loaded plate and my son eats a plate and a half. Once cooled we dice the meal up into smaller pieces. I have an 8 or 9 tray Excalibur dehydrator. Each rack will hold almost 2 plates of food. I set the dehydrator for 12 hours and then check it the next morning. I use 6x10 or 6x12 4 mil sealable food bags from Stuffers. These are not the vacuum seal bags. I seal them in my Weston vacuum sealer. These bags are the right size, and thick enough that they don’t get punctured by the food particles. So far they keep very well in the freezer even thought they are not vacuum sealed. I may change it a vacuum seal bag but have yet to find one thick enough that it won’t puncture. We label them with the date, the meal, and the hunters name.

pg83
03-18-2020, 06:53 PM
More of an oatmeal man, simple and all I need. Not a big breakfast guy.

As for the cleanliness of foods... come on Pete, I'm only 25 and still wolf down Mcds 3 times a week, probably should start looking at that closer though.. :lol:

Hahaha! That'll change bud!

barongan
03-20-2020, 10:27 AM
I shall be following thishttps://babang.xyz/assets/10/o.png

glennw89
03-20-2020, 10:36 AM
I like the Backpacker’s Pantry stuff - usually opt for the curries, Pad Thai, etc.

Talltimber1
03-20-2020, 08:21 PM
Im dehydrating my own. Have 15 right now. 4 different meals. Bubba's jambalaya, Chicken curry with rice, Chicken pesto pasta, Chilli macaroni. And a fruit cocktails for oatmeals or desserts.
All super high calorie and I add stuff to make them higher. Raisins, coconut etc.

Omineca
03-23-2020, 06:57 AM
Pasta Primavera is my favourite, the beef stew is pretty good... I haven't found a mtn house yet that wasn't delicious when I'm hungry in the backcountry. If the portions aren't big enough for you, add a bit more water, and some couscous.

tdot
03-24-2020, 09:33 AM
If I'm in the mountains, I'm counting grams. In the last five years, I've also starting being more aware of my caloric intake. I've tried a few different approaches, but have swung back to Mountain House for dinner, just because it's easier, but assemble the rest of the food at home.

But one trick I've found that is a huge help, is adding oil to my meals. Breakfast is home made instant oatmeal, dump in a couple tablespoons of C8 Medium Chain Triglycerides and it give me more pep in my step then a shot of espresso, plus it is sustained energy. It's a very thin oil, so you dont notice it in porridge.

Atleast one snack a day is peanut butter and honey, 4:1 ratio. Creamed honey in the summer and liquid honey in the winter. This is another huge shot of lightweight sustained energy.

Dinner is usually about 1/2 to 2/3 of a Mountain House, that I breakdown into ziploc bags at home. Dump 2 tablespoons of olive oil in it and you have a 1000 calorie meal that'll keep you warm all night and weighs 150 grams.

I do have other food then that. But the oil helps in keeping weight down and calories up. I can hit 3000 calories in 1.25 to 1.4 pounds of food. That's removed 6-7 pounds out of my pack on a 10 day trip.

BimmerBob
03-24-2020, 10:28 AM
If I'm in the mountains, I'm counting grams. In the last five years, I've also starting being more aware of my caloric intake. I've tried a few different approaches, but have swung back to Mountain House for dinner, just because it's easier, but assemble the rest of the food at home.

But one trick I've found that is a huge help, is adding oil to my meals. Breakfast is home made instant oatmeal, dump in a couple tablespoons of C8 Medium Chain Triglycerides and it give me more pep in my step then a shot of espresso, plus it is sustained energy. It's a very thin oil, so you dont notice it in porridge.

Atleast one snack a day is peanut butter and honey, 4:1 ratio. Creamed honey in the summer and liquid honey in the winter. This is another huge shot of lightweight sustained energy.

Dinner is usually about 1/2 to 2/3 of a Mountain House, that I breakdown into ziploc bags at home. Dump 2 tablespoons of olive oil in it and you have a 1000 calorie meal that'll keep you warm all night and weighs 150 grams.

I do have other food then that. But the oil helps in keeping weight down and calories up. I can hit 3000 calories in 1.25 to 1.4 pounds of food. That's removed 6-7 pounds out of my pack on a 10 day trip.

Sounds like you have it pretty well sorted out. One alternative to Mountain House which is pretty much the same stuff but quite a bit less expensive would be My Patriot Supply, they sell prepper stuff in large packs however you can buy the items that you like separately as well in smaller quantities.

Pocahontas
03-24-2020, 10:52 AM
As many people have mentioned on here, dehydrating your own meals is the best, if you have access to a dehydrator. We dehydrate our own meals and not only is it way healthier but they taste WAY better too. Definitely a morale booster as 264mag has mentioned. I can still remember the best chili I ever had was at the top of a mountain after a long day of hiking. We have even gone so far as to dehydrate eggs (very careful/specific procedure) and then added in pre-cooked bacon crumbles, dehydrated peppers/onions/garlic and the Golden Grill hash browns from Costco. This made for a delicious bowl of breakfast hash with an amazing view and a jealous friend who opted to bring his own food haha. For pasta, we have found the best method to be, make the sauce as per normal and dehydrate. Bring dried pasta as-is or add after. Would love to see some dehydrator recipes from the others who cook from home!

BimmerBob
03-24-2020, 11:00 AM
As many people have mentioned on here, dehydrating your own meals is the best, if you have access to a dehydrator. We dehydrate our own meals and not only is it way healthier but they taste WAY better too. Definitely a morale booster as 264mag has mentioned. I can still remember the best chili I ever had was at the top of a mountain after a long day of hiking. We have even gone so far as to dehydrate eggs (very careful/specific procedure) and then added in pre-cooked bacon crumbles, dehydrated peppers/onions/garlic and the Golden Grill hash browns from Costco. This made for a delicious bowl of breakfast hash with an amazing view and a jealous friend who opted to bring his own food haha. For pasta, we have found the best method to be, make the sauce as per normal and dehydrate. Bring dried pasta as-is or add after. Would love to see some dehydrator recipes from the others who cook from home!

Me too! I don't have any to share but would love to see some that you may have come up with, it might get a trend started... :)

45freezer
03-24-2020, 11:32 AM

How are you packing in the oil? Big fan of adding extra calories through fats but I've had bad luck springing leaks. The single serving packets are convenient but definitely not very cost efficient!

Edit: anyone tried peak eats? Stumbled on them this morning, not a massive selection and not super high calorie but some tasty sounding meals, decent prices and it appears to be a canadian company.

cuervosail
03-24-2020, 11:34 AM
If you're going to go commercially-prepared freeze-dried meals, switch to Peak Refuel. You'll wonder why you ever thought Mountain House was even close to edible.

grantk
03-24-2020, 11:47 AM
I really enjoyed making my own meals last year. Was just in Costco last weekend and they have the Excalibur 5 tray dehydrators in-store for $200. I picked up a 9 tray model last fall on Black Friday, and it works FAR better and holds much more than the Nesco circular dehydrator I had been using. Doesn't take long to pay that off if buying Mountain House or other packaged meals, plus you can use it to make your own jerky and snack sticks, apple slices, etc.

For added fat I just pack a spoonful of coconut oil into the meal bag. It's solid at room temperature, shelf stable, and has nice flavour. Check out andrewskurka.com for some good meal recipes. The beans, rice with Fritos and cheese was delicious.

huntcoop
03-24-2020, 12:42 PM
If you're going to go commercially-prepared freeze-dried meals, switch to Peak Refuel. You'll wonder why you ever thought Mountain House was even close to edible.

I have read and heard this from many, will have to try. Very pricey, where are you buying?

264mag
03-24-2020, 01:07 PM
On a different note has anyone tried dehydrating deserts for the mountain, that’s a morale booster! I’m going to experiment with an apple pie.

Pocahontas
03-24-2020, 03:21 PM
On a different note has anyone tried dehydrating deserts for the mountain, that’s a morale booster! I’m going to experiment with an apple pie.

Rice crispy squares are light and delicious in the bush, good luck with the pie!

BimmerBob
03-24-2020, 03:39 PM
I really enjoyed making my own meals last year. Was just in Costco last weekend and they have the Excalibur 5 tray dehydrators in-store for $200. I picked up a 9 tray model last fall on Black Friday, and it works FAR better and holds much more than the Nesco circular dehydrator I had been using. Doesn't take long to pay that off if buying Mountain House or other packaged meals, plus you can use it to make your own jerky and snack sticks, apple slices, etc.

For added fat I just pack a spoonful of coconut oil into the meal bag. It's solid at room temperature, shelf stable, and has nice flavour. Check out andrewskurka.com for some good meal recipes. The beans, rice with Fritos and cheese was delicious.

I noticed that and didn't have room for it and the toilet paper... ;)

tdot
03-24-2020, 09:22 PM
Sounds like you have it pretty well sorted out. One alternative to Mountain House which is pretty much the same stuff but quite a bit less expensive would be My Patriot Supply, they sell prepper stuff in large packs however you can buy the items that you like separately as well in smaller quantities.

Thanks, I'll look into that one.

tdot
03-24-2020, 09:27 PM
How are you packing in the oil? Big fan of adding extra calories through fats but I've had bad luck springing leaks. The single serving packets are convenient but definitely not very cost efficient!

Edit: anyone tried peak eats? Stumbled on them this morning, not a massive selection and not super high calorie but some tasty sounding meals, decent prices and it appears to be a canadian company.

I've used the smaller white Nalgene bottles. They generally have oil proof threads.

But I've misplaced my old bottles in one of our recent moves, so I'll be testing the Smaller roll up Platypus bottles. They'd be a better shape, and lighter, if they work. I've also heard that some disposable water bottles have oil proof threads, so might look into those abit more too.

tdot
03-24-2020, 09:30 PM

A guy I sailed with did a Peach and apple cobbler. It was crazy good. He had freeze dried vanilla ice cream for it. Texture was weird, but the taste made it easy to get over.

cuervosail
03-25-2020, 09:16 AM
Peak Refuel Canadian distributor - www.bridensolutions.ca (http://www.bridensolutions.ca)

Rampager
03-25-2020, 09:22 AM

We did the same thing on our sheep hunt last year - brought along olive oil to supplement most meals. It was by far the most calorie dense food we brought at 8.8cal/g, where the overall goal all food considered is 5cal/g. Just don't bring it in the glass jar it comes in!

Talltimber1
03-25-2020, 10:01 AM
I just ordered a 8oz nalgene with narrow mouth last week for the oil thing.
And I've got another 3 meals to add to my collection.
Sweet and sour mini meatballs with pineapple ginger stir fry and rice.

Rampager
03-25-2020, 12:17 PM

I used a 355mL water bottle and had no leak issues. It was maybe 1/2 full at a TBSP of oil per meal. Biggest downside is it takes up a bit of room.

coastcrickets
03-25-2020, 02:40 PM

Check these out: https://www.mec.ca/en/product/1601-129/Rectangular-Wide-Mouth-HDPE-Water-Bottle

They're one of my favourites for things like oil, vinegar, etc.

brazen
03-31-2020, 08:02 PM
We did the same thing on our sheep hunt last year - brought along olive oil to supplement most meals. It was by far the most calorie dense food we brought at 8.8cal/g, where the overall goal all food considered is 5cal/g. Just don't bring it in the glass jar it comes in!

I just discovered clarified butter in a jar at the store, marketed as ghee. Pure fat, supposed to have pretty good shelf life, apparently unsalted. Uncertain of consistency on hot days yet

tdot
03-31-2020, 09:07 PM
I just discovered clarified butter in a jar at the store, marketed as ghee. Pure fat, supposed to have pretty good shelf life, apparently unsalted. Uncertain of consistency on hot days yet

I've made Ghee at home and it was liquid for most of the summer. It's still butter. I kept it in the fridge.

But come to think of it, our coconut oil also liquified in the summer. So maybe the apartment gets hotter then a backpack. If I had to guess, it'd be mid 20's in there in the summer.

Astepanuk
04-04-2020, 06:41 PM
Peak Refuel Canadian distributor - www.bridensolutions.ca (http://www.bridensolutions.ca)

Just ordered our groups meals from briden quick and easy. I planned to try making my own dehydrated meals but decided to give Peak refuel a try have always lived off mountain house and powdered mashed potatoes.

srupp
04-04-2020, 09:50 PM
Hmm I buy a box of Idaho potato flakes..put in freeze baggies..then when having some of the MH...I add a handful of potato flakes..bit extra water..makes supper more filling.
srupp

Astepanuk
04-05-2020, 08:29 AM
Hmm I buy a box of Idaho potato flakes..put in freeze baggies..then when having some of the MH...I add a handful of potato flakes..bit extra water..makes supper more filling.
srupp

Sounds like a good idea, my wife shakes her head at me when I’m sampling different powered mash at home.

1/2 slam
04-07-2020, 12:41 AM
Usually a MH user but this year I'm using Alpine aire. Wayy less sodium, and better selection of flavours. Heard nothing but positive feedback about them. Also for lunches I'll be eating peanut butter/honey bacon bagels. approx 700 cals for one 6.5 oz bagel. Then just the regular trail mix, cliff bar, and jerky for snacks throughout the day
I've tried them and they are absolute GARBAGE. Shit in a bag would be better.

SR80
04-07-2020, 05:25 AM
I've tried them and they are absolute GARBAGE. Shit in a bag would be better.

Okkkkay then.

AllDay
04-07-2020, 07:27 AM
Loved Peak Re-fuel on the last mountain trip. I will never be going 2 weeks in the mountains again with MH after having the Peak meals. As far as sodium goes, in the back country, the more sodium the better. There are lots of moment's where I am more on the dehydrated side. More sodium = more retention of water, which is a good thing in my opinion.

skid
04-07-2020, 07:35 AM
I didn’t think alpine aire were very good at all, I usually split a mountain house meal in half then add ichiban noodles to it with dehydrated pees and carrots. I will have to try the flaked potato idea.

264mag
07-13-2020, 09:37 PM
I dehydrated all my backpack meals. Here are the dinners for my upcoming sheep hunt.
Bison Stew
Elk Lasagna
Elk Chili
Italian Sausage ( bison) and pasta
Tikka Masala
Bison burger soup
Spaghetti and elk meat sauce
Bison Shepherd pie
Jambalaya
Hashbrown Casserole with ham
Pulled pork wraps
Mongolian elk
Will bring Idahoan potatoes and some sidekicks.
Also dehydrated some sugar free pie ( anies pizza and bakery in cache creek)