PDA

View Full Version : BC backroad map book for hunting?

ajr5406
08-09-2015, 11:23 AM
Hi guys,

Which BC map book is best to get for hunting purposes? I've seen a number of different ones and want to hear what you guys like best.

Buying the BC backcountry fishing book was an invaluable resource for my fly fishing experience, so want to pick something up for hunting that will show FSR and places to go etc.

thanks!

MichelD
08-09-2015, 11:59 AM
I have one for each area I go to. I've never been to Region 4 so I don't have that one. Southwest BC, Cariboo-Chilcotin, Okanagan and Northern BC are all well-used. They are not 100 percent accurate so some roads depicted as going through an area may be dead ends or gated or private, but for the most part they are a great resource.

srthomas75
08-09-2015, 12:13 PM
It depends on the areas that you want to hunt. OF the few I have I am impressed with them. They have come a long way from the first editions.

pg83
08-09-2015, 01:10 PM
Pick the area you plan to go to. They are all the same, just separated by region. As mentioned, not all roads on the map exist. You will also find roads that do exist which are not in the books.

B.C.Boy(100%)
08-09-2015, 01:32 PM
They're handy.
I needed one last year for the Cariboo region, went online and reserved a copy from the local library, picked it up a few days later, used it for my trip, returned it when I got home.

Edzzed
08-09-2015, 03:47 PM
I go off road riding and bring one with me. Never got lost yet.....

tigrr
08-10-2015, 06:56 AM
I have most of them and have found that the forestry logging roads are being de-activated more often now than ever. The forestry used to give out maps and that was a good source for some areas. Buy the area you want to explore and then google earth the area to see if the roads exists anymore. Bring a chainsaw to get out after a wind storm.

westcoastal
08-10-2015, 10:15 AM
I use both the Backroads map book as well as the micro-SD card for my GS units. I'll use the card in my truck when I'm driving and then move it into my handheld once the boots hit the ground. Like others have stated, there are times the map doesn't show all the roads, but at least the SD card gets updated once a year or so.

ajr5406
08-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Sounds great - thanks for the input!

Is this the one that you guys are using (this is the Region 2 one)?

http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/backcountry-maps/backroad-mapbooks/bc-backroad-maps/vancouver-bc-backcountry-maps

Ozone
08-10-2015, 12:12 PM
Yes that's it. Look for it at fishing, hunting stores, Canadian tire etc etc. Even seen it at Save on Foods.

LupieHunter
08-10-2015, 02:11 PM
Walmart and Staples have them as well. Walmart in the fishing department and Staples in the map displayer.