PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best way to share your meat in a three person group hunt? (primal cuts)

Junmity
08-09-2015, 08:23 AM
Ok, two is easy.....

But three? specially when we all live in different cities and will not be butchering it first.

Was thinking:

1. right rearhind, ribs & backstrap
2. left rearhind, ribs & backstrap
3. left & right front quarters & both tenderloins

thoughts....

Gateholio
08-09-2015, 08:33 AM
Cut it all up into portions and split up. When there is an odd amount left of each cut, flip a coin or something. Or give it to the guy that shot the moose. Or the guy that drove most.

Meat splitting just has to be reasonably fair, it doesn't have to be rocket science.

Sofa King
08-09-2015, 08:34 AM
every group seems to have their own way.
depends on the circumstances.
if you all live nearby, could butcher first and divy up after.
then, theres the dilemma of who is involved in the hunt.
i wouldnt share equally with a hunter who wasnt along for the work.

pg83
08-09-2015, 08:37 AM
Cut it all up into portions and split up. When there is an odd amount left of each cut, flip a coin or something. Or give it to the guy that shot the moose. Or the guy that drove most.

Meat splitting just has to be reasonably fair, it doesn't have to be rocket science.

Nailed it. I'm assuming you guys are at least taking the time in camp to debone it. At that point it's easy.

Junmity
08-09-2015, 08:51 AM
We'll all be there for the same time,

Region 5 LEH Bull Moose

Campbell River
Richmond
Victoria

We wanted to split it in as large & unprocessed pieces as possible as I hang and butcher my own game, one guy takes to the butcher and the other is new.

theoutdoorsman
08-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Also take into account who is taking the meat (be realistic in how much you will consume). If hunting moose, a single guy may have half (or more) of it left in his freezer by next season, whereas a family man may burn though it much faster and see more benefits of a freezer full.

ACB
08-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Even Steven best way to split it. If every buddy is in on the trip evenly it's the only way, no hard feeling's then. I'm not talking about a day trip from the house, If you go on a 7,10,14 day trip even though you might not be the one that pulls the trigger it's still nice to have some meat in the freezer.

Wentrot
08-09-2015, 10:08 AM
Yup...even steven^^^^

Sofa King
08-09-2015, 10:16 AM
Ok, two is easy.....

But three? specially when we all live in different cities and will not be butchering it first.

Was thinking:

1. right rearhind, ribs & backstrap
2. left rearhind, ribs & backstrap
3. left & right front quarters & both tenderloins

thoughts....

this is fine.
right those on pieces of paper, put in a hat, and draw for who gets which.
fair as can be.

Sofa King
08-09-2015, 10:16 AM
write:oops:

mattmckay
08-09-2015, 10:53 AM
I'd worry about shooting the moose first...

Boner
08-09-2015, 12:05 PM
Sounds like no way to keep everyone happy. Maybe go grouse hunting instead?

scoutlt1
08-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Lots of ways to split it up..your #1-3, then draw out of a hat like SK suggested, is a good idea.

However you do it, make it clear how it will be before the hunt starts! Lots of friends,sadly, are "former friends" because of this sort of thing.

silvertip0260
08-09-2015, 12:22 PM
do that and number 3 is getting big time ripped of all he has is a bunch of shoulder roasts and a few packs of tenderloin. you have the loins and all the prime cut roasts
if he likes a lot of burger and sausage it's good

Cordillera
08-09-2015, 06:00 PM
Shooter gets the tenderloin.

Cdn-Redneck
08-09-2015, 06:27 PM
We usually end up with three ways. Once it is cut we go t bone, t bone, t bone, burger, burger, burger, roast, roast, roast and when it gets to the end usually it is easy to divvy up. Not worth arguing about. We will always take burger.

Junmity
08-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Its been my experience that you agree on these things before the hunt and everyone knows what they are getting into.

I've just heard of too many stories of guys that don't worry about it till they shoot and then someone gets burned....

I'm not counting my eggs or anything, I just like to be on the same page before we set out.

Redneck Rocket
08-09-2015, 09:41 PM
It's beyond the scope of my comprehension how people could fall out with friends over a pile of meat. Hell, I share meat with people who didn't come hunting with me, and who aren't even hunters to begin with because I care about them and I like to share with my friends.

Dusty Roads
08-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Deciding who gets what in any group I've been in has been always easy, sit down, grab a brewski or 3 and discuss it you'll all figure it out. Deciding who gets what quarter ahead of time could be a good idea... Unless someone blows a hole in your quarter... Shit happens

swampthing
08-10-2015, 10:29 AM
You go with a guy like me who doesn't hunt for meat, just adventure. I always decline meat but appreciate a BBQ meal after.

Grumpa Joe
08-10-2015, 11:29 AM
We're not talking Brokeback sharing of meat are we?:oops::shock:

Always set out the terms before you actually do it because afterwards there is a chance that someone will get their nose out of joint and the friendship is done. JMO

Wentrot
08-10-2015, 12:08 PM
This thread makes me curious-has anyone ever gone on an extended hunt with a couple other guys and had whoever pull the trigger take all the meat without even an offer?

wideopenthrottle
08-10-2015, 12:17 PM
This thread makes me curious-has anyone ever gone on an extended hunt with a couple other guys and had whoever pull the trigger take all the meat without even an offer?

never on an extended hunt but on some weekend ones but usually cuz that person was not going to be hunting again that year or some guys already had a freezer full otherwise sharing was always assumed

BearStump
08-10-2015, 12:41 PM
Like some have said, Ya sure, agree ahead of time about it. But talk about the possibility of having to adjust the quota's per guy. Who knows, maybe your buddy puts 2 rounds into the front shoulder and another through the spine finally dropping the critter and destroying the tenderloins and a whole front quarter. A very real possibility, but in this case option #3 would be crappy.

Twogunns
08-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Take it to 1 butcher and split it up evenly afterwards. Split the shipping and butchering costs too.

MichelD
08-10-2015, 02:25 PM
I've been with my two buddies who have better luck with their draws than me on two moose hunts and even though I am not the guy with the LEH permit, but the cook, bottle washer, emotional counsellor, driver, skinner, fire starter, hook baiter, comedian etc., I've always got 1/3.

lovemywinchester
08-10-2015, 03:23 PM
It's beyond the scope of my comprehension how people could fall out with friends over a pile of meat..

Believe it! It can happen over a lot less then that when hunting. One of my best friends and myself have barely talked for three years because he blamed me for him not getting a shot at a whitey doe that would have been his first deer kill. I'll spare you the details but he had a conniption and I told him to beat it and it will be three years this fall.

Keep in mind also that you are not allowed to butcher game before you get home. If two guys drive away with their share and get checked, they will get fined. Make sure they have all the tag and license info and a note of transport.

Glenny
08-10-2015, 03:29 PM
Take a vegan with you. Problem solved.

Wentrot
08-10-2015, 03:59 PM
Believe it! It can happen over a lot less then that when hunting. One of my best friends and myself have barely talked for three years because he blamed me for him not getting a shot at a whitey doe that would have been his first deer kill. I'll spare you the details but he had a conniption and I told him to beat it and it will be three years this fall.

Keep in mind also that you are not allowed to butcher game before you get home. If two guys drive away with their share and get checked, they will get fined. Make sure they have all the tag and license info and a note of transport.

Holy shit. Your (ex)friend has issues lol

bandit
08-10-2015, 05:10 PM

Yes. And he didn't drive / pack the whole thing out either!

Kapow
08-10-2015, 05:26 PM
Whoever does the kill shot gets half. The other two get quarters......IMO

itsy bitsy xj
08-10-2015, 06:20 PM
Shoot the two other hunters and keep it all for yourself??

Ron.C
08-10-2015, 06:26 PM
it doesn't matter how it's split . Seems like lots of different opinions on that. The important thing is to make sure all agree on the way it'll be split before the hunt.

Sniperdan
08-10-2015, 08:33 PM

We have a standing agreement in camp. If we are targeting Moose and/or Elk, anything else (grouse, deer, bear, etc.) is a biproduct of the hunt and belongs solely to the shooter. The Moose/Elk is split evenly after butchering. If there is an extra roast or steak it we just agree to take a couple extra pounds of burger to make up for it.

Squamch
08-11-2015, 07:25 AM
We just split it as evenly as possible, with a bit of extra given to the shooter. Threads like this make me grateful that I hunt with long time friends. We don't care about precise divisions, it'll all even out eventually.

Bro 300
08-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Make a fire and cook it!
When it is all gone then you go home!
Easy peasey!

emerson
08-11-2015, 11:22 AM
I am generous with the meat when there are several in the party. If I am dissapointed with the other's generosity I never hunt with them again.

hdlum
08-18-2015, 11:14 AM
look for a hunting buddy that just like to hunt and not interested on the meat

180grainer
08-18-2015, 01:18 PM
get it all cut and packaged and then....one for me, one for you, one for the other guy....until it's all gone.....

steel_ram
08-18-2015, 02:22 PM
get it all cut and packaged and then....one for me, one for you, one for the other guy....until it's all gone.....

Doesn't have to be any more difficult than that. Just decide before hand what size packages of burger etc. you want.

tomahawk
08-18-2015, 04:12 PM
if your all splittin the cost then do the same with the meat. who gives a shit who squeezes the trigger, everyone sharing the costs shares the meat.

wideopenthrottle
08-19-2015, 06:41 AM
if your all splittin the cost then do the same with the meat. who gives a shit who squeezes the trigger, everyone sharing the costs shares the meat.

we go with hunters.. so any kids along with us do not get a share until they have a licence of their own

hunter1947
08-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Equal amounts for the 3 people involved in that hunt get the animal butchard up at either ones town that being the person that can hold the meat in his or hers freezer,, divided up for 3 put in freezer then when your partners from the two come there later to pick up their share when they have the time ,,,,, dividing it up goes this way roast for each one till there all gone ,steaks the same as for the rest of the cuts..

tomahawk
08-19-2015, 02:20 PM
we go with hunters.. so any kids along with us do not get a share until they have a licence of their own

Kids are probably not paying their share so why would they get a share of the meat? Only exception I see would be if they are invited to come and there is NO other member of their household in the hunt, then its fair to me they get a share without paying a share of the cost. Just sayin. There is no right or wrong way to do this just have it determined so everyone knows prior to hunting.

ACB
08-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Equal amounts for the 3 people involved in that hunt get the animal butchard up at either ones town that being the person that can hold the meat in his or hers freezer,, divided up for 3 put in freezer then when your partners from the two come there later to pick up their share when they have the time ,,,,, dividing it up goes this way roast for each one till there all gone ,steaks the same as for the rest of the cuts..
YUP EVEN STEVE, and work it out prior to the hunt.

MichelD
08-19-2015, 04:35 PM

What he said.

hunter1947
08-19-2015, 04:56 PM
YUP EVEN STEVE, and work it out prior to the hunt.

Good point all involved have to work out on how they want to divide the animal up so there are no surprises after the animal is down..