rafike
08-08-2015, 04:17 PM
Has anyone run the halfway in August I would like to try it for moose in August

JAGRMEISTER
08-09-2015, 09:50 AM
You have an amphib boat?

high and to the right
08-09-2015, 08:02 PM
I floated the river a couple of times 8 - 10 years ago on a 12' boat. Once when it was very high and once when it was fairly low. The speed when high was almost 2X as fast as when it was low. When it was high, it was very hard to beach as the sand bars were all under water. The sweeps were easier to get around because there was lots of river to go around them but if you didn't have the power (paddles), to make the turn, the sweeps can be dangerous at the speed the boat is going. When I went when it was low, we ended up scraping bottom at a lot of places. We only had to get out of the boat and pull it over a gravel bar a couple of times. The sweeps were worse as the only deep water on many corners was right along the edge, where the danger zone was. Very doable and for the most part relaxing.

bridger
08-09-2015, 08:49 PM
Has anyone run the halfway in August I would like to try it for moose in August
What kind of boat for you have? Small jet boats have still been running it the last couple weeks. Heavy rain has brought it up the past few days. Are you planning running up from the mouth?

browningboy
08-09-2015, 09:03 PM
I would be interested in this thread, does the halfway braid into the Graham as well? I have a 21 foot boat that's built for this but hate doing things blind, I'm not worried about running skinny waters just more curious IFC's this is a good run and if any benefits from running it?

bridger
08-09-2015, 10:18 PM
I would be interested in this thread, does the halfway braid into the Graham as well? I have a 21 foot boat that's built for this but hate doing things blind, I'm not worried about running skinny waters just more curious IFC's this is a good run and if any benefits from running it?
Graham runs into the halfway. Graham hard to run as its small and wTer drops about this time of year. Halfway from mouth where it dumpsinto the peace to were the graham dumps in moose and elk hunting pretty good. Halfwatpy above that not much for moose. Few elk, but lots of private land. Not really worth the effort