PDA

View Full Version : Mule Deer antler requirement

coplin
08-08-2015, 01:51 PM
For the different MU's ,where does the regulations list what the required antler points are for Mule Deer?

Specifically region 2-8 region 8-5

scoutlt1
08-08-2015, 02:04 PM
For the different MU's ,where does the regulations list what the required antler points are for Mule Deer?

Specifically region 2-8 region 8-5

It's all clearly stated in the regs....pretty clear I think, unless I'm missing something.

monasheemountainman
08-08-2015, 02:27 PM
yes, it will either say, bucks, 4 point bucks etc....its right there for ya...took 2 seconds MUle DeeR (Black-tailed) 2-2 to 2-4, 2-6 to 2-8, 2-13 to 2-15, 2-17 to 2-19 Bucks Sept 10 - Dec 15 2

coplin
08-08-2015, 03:49 PM
yes, it will either say, bucks, 4 point bucks etc....its right there for ya...took 2 seconds MUle DeeR (Black-tailed) 2-2 to 2-4, 2-6 to 2-8, 2-13 to 2-15, 2-17 to 2-19 Bucks Sept 10 - Dec 15 2

so if it says "bucks" whats that mean just has to have 2 points? or just nuts?

monasheemountainman
08-08-2015, 03:53 PM
nope, nope, it has to have at lease one tine over 1"....if it has a bagina then you got a lucky horny doe

coplin
08-08-2015, 03:56 PM
ill be hiking so what parts can i leave in the bush and what parts must be left on till i get home?

coplin
08-08-2015, 03:58 PM
sorry for the dumb questions im trying to figure this all out on my own i have no one to show me and its overwhelming to me i jjust want to make sure im doing it with proper etiquette and legal..

talking about the animal I know everything else properly

your kidding about Doe right those are LEH only correct?

last light
08-08-2015, 04:03 PM
2-8 says "Bucks". So you look up the definition on page 3. Buck or Bull- with reference to deer, moose, or elk means one bearing visible bony antlers. Basically any size antlers that you can see easily are legal.

As for 8-5 it depends on what season you are hunting in, pay close attention to the "Season Dates". If you are hunting during "buck" season the same rule from above applies.

If you are hunting during 4 Point Bucks season then you look up that definition on page 5. Mule (Black-tailed) Deer - Four Points or Greater Buck - means any buck having at least four tines, excluding the brow tine, on one antler. There is also a nice clear picture underneath the definition.

Hope this helps. Happy hunting!

henderson
08-08-2015, 04:08 PM
First step is to get your license, they teach you all of this.

last light
08-08-2015, 04:09 PM
ill be hiking so what parts can i leave in the bush and what parts must be left on till i get home?
Explained clearly on page 20 under Big Game​. Section 1.

ACE
08-08-2015, 04:11 PM
If you have to 'half' your buck to get it out (packboard) leave evidence of sex .... a plastic bag/elastic band over the unskinned testicles meets different requirements whether it's deer or other large ungulates .....

p.s. ... there are no 'dumb questions' here, unless you're a Canuck fan !:mrgreen:

coplin
08-08-2015, 04:15 PM
yes this makes sense

coplin
08-08-2015, 04:17 PM
i have my license from many years ago but then life got in the way and i never went out and ive forgotten most of the stuff. sorry if i'm wasting your time

Fella
08-08-2015, 04:19 PM
Oops just saw that you answered my question. Read and re-read the first section of the regs if you have questions while on the go, I've been hunting for a few years now and I still refer to the regs when I'm unsure.

coplin
08-08-2015, 04:19 PM
If you have to 'half' your buck to get it out (packboard) leave evidence of sex .... a plastic bag/elastic band over the unskinned testicles meets different requirements whether it's deer or other large ungulates .....

p.s. ... there are no 'dumb questions' here, unless you're a Canuck fan !:mrgreen:

perfect thx this was kind of pratical bush smarts answer i was looking for

coplin
08-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Oops just saw that you answered my question. Read and re-read the first section of the regs if you have questions while on the go, I've been hunting for a few years now and I still refer to the regs when I'm unsure.
and you probably had someone to show you in the beginning , i unfortunately don't

thx

coplin
08-08-2015, 04:33 PM
Ok page 20 hasbeen read about what parts need to be left on for transport.

The parts that stay behind is there anything special to be done or not done to keep others happy and not unnecessarily attract other wildlife?

monasheemountainman
08-08-2015, 04:52 PM
go back the next day and shoot the coyotes off it....no bears tho

coplin
08-08-2015, 05:27 PM
go back the next day and shoot the coyotes off it....no bears tho

so nothing special just dump the guts?

trying to swim through sarcasm:-o

ACE
08-08-2015, 05:50 PM
so nothing special just dump the guts?

Others will have their ways of doing things ..... we're all different, we hunt.
Speaking only for myself, I slice open the stomach chamber and pull it away .... if left full, it's often left by the predators. Personally speaking, it's good karma to leave something for the birds and animals that live there and make their living there all year. I just may be a visitor there for the length of my hunt. A moose that's fed all night and is heading to bed down at daybreak has a huge stomach. Take the heart and liver .....

SWD
08-08-2015, 05:55 PM
Buck-Page 3- definition-visible boney antlers

Rob Chipman
08-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Take the heart and liver x 2. Especially the heart.

coplin
08-08-2015, 08:07 PM
Take the heart and liver x 2. Especially the heart.

Liver is obvious but,

What's a good way to cook up the heart?

coplin
08-08-2015, 08:09 PM
thx all who put with my "newb" questions, :-?

goatdancer
08-08-2015, 08:16 PM
Liver is obvious but,

Make treats for your dog. They love liver and heart.

Fella
08-08-2015, 08:48 PM
and you probably had someone to show you in the beginning , i unfortunately don't

thx
Nope, everything I've learned is either by reading here or figuring it out on my own. No one took me out, no one taught me how to do a thing related to hunting.

ruger#1
08-08-2015, 08:51 PM
Liver is obvious but,

You can bake the hart with bacon strips on top. My mother used to boil it. Then slice it, Put a little salt on it. It tastes good.

Sofa King
08-08-2015, 08:56 PM
thx all who put with my "newb" questions, :-?

that's what these forums are for.
good luck this season.

Rob Chipman
08-08-2015, 09:40 PM
Lots of ways to do the heart. Buddy of mine sent me a great video of his November buck last year with him roasting it, whole, on sticks over the fire.

I did one last year at home that made me wish the deer had two hearts. If you're around a cutting board and water here's what you can do: Clean it out well (blood can coagulate inside it). Cut it open into two pieces. It'll seem pretty obvious which way to do it, but in this case you're looking to end up with two more or less flat pieces. Cut away any ligaments/tendons, whatever. Again, that part will be obvious. Trim it up to look nice without getting rid of too much.

Beat it a bit with a meat hammer (or beer bottle). That'll tenderize it a bit. Then, spice it as you like, bread it if you want, and fry it up. Don't overdo it. Don't let a little blood and juices running out of it scare you. Do not overcook.

Deer heart is (imho) pretty mild. I do bear heart the same way. I think there's a stronger taste (not a disagreeable taste, just a stronger one).

For liver, in my experience, be ready for lots of blood to come out while cutting it up. Again, not a bad thing, but be ready.

Liver is more of an acquired taste, perhaps. I eat it, but I don't rave about it like heart.

If you don't really like it then just boil it up and then cube it up for dog treats (if you don't have a dog bring it over to mine - she'll appreciate it).

Philcott
08-10-2015, 09:40 AM
In camp we cube up some liver and heart. Put some butter in a frying pan (cast iron is best if you're by your vehicle or back at camp) and saute up some onions, throw in the cubed liver and heart, salt and pepper and cook on medium heat until done. Eat with some mashed potatoes or just a slice of bread and butter to soak up any juices.

At home I often will pickle the heart. Clean the blood out as mentioned earlier, put in a sauce pan with vinegar, some water and pickling spices. Bring to a boil then let simmer for 10 minutes or so then take off the heat. I let it soak about another hour then take it out and let cool. Start slicing and start enjoying.

As for the entrails and other remnants of the deer I just leave it in the woods for the critters of the day and night to enjoy. Letting them share in the bounty only seems right to me.

ACE
08-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Moose/elk hearts ..... cut away the top tissue and the chamber material, soak overnight in salty water, dry. Stuffing is whole wheat/rye type bread, celery-finely cubed, raisons, brown sugar, salt/pepper. Stuff heart. Bake with the open end down. Delicious!

Some good recipes here ..... little bit of thread drift. But, what the hell ..... we're all Canuck fans! Right F-D ? :mrgreen:

ACE
08-10-2015, 09:54 AM
As for the entrails and other remnants of the deer I just leave it in the woods for the critters of the day and night to enjoy. Letting them share in the bounty only seems right to me.

Good Karma returns ....... ;-)