PDA

View Full Version : looking for suggestions for rivers to canoe hunt moose in the yukon.

smeegle
08-08-2015, 11:47 AM
Hi there,

I relocated to the Yukon from Vancouver Island last fall, and while I am missing out on chasing blacktails and springs I am turning my attention towards trying for a swamp donkey this fall. I do not have access to a quad or jet boat but was looking for any helpful tips on what rivers/lake chains anyone would reccomend worth trying with a canoe. I am based out of Whitehorse but not afraid to drive to more remote parts of the territory or to portage to get away from the jete boats if possible.

Cheers,

smeegle.

monasheemountainman
08-08-2015, 11:51 AM
sounds like fun! wish I could help, and hunt there too!

blackbart
08-08-2015, 12:53 PM
What is the wait period in the Yukon to become a resident?

smeegle
08-08-2015, 01:25 PM
you need to have been a resident of the territory for one calendary year.

Eastbranch
08-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Talk to the folks at Kanoe People or Up North Adventures. They will have all the info on put ins and take outs. Your options are pretty much unlimited.

Avalanche123
08-08-2015, 02:03 PM
Like ArticRed said....

If you have the time and $$$, flying in and paddling out opens up even more opportunities. I'd make sure your canoe is at least a 17' as that moose will fill all of it. Some of my favourite hunts were multi day trips that including hunting for either moose or sheep. Good luck!

two-feet
08-08-2015, 08:51 PM
The country around beaver creek is full of lakes etc, good moose country. Lots of spots you could hike into right off the highway.

Sofa King
08-08-2015, 09:01 PM
we got moose in behind snafu/tarfu lake.

Cordillera
08-08-2015, 09:56 PM
I just got back from the pelly and the habitat below faro is excellent. However it would be a long haul out with a dead moose.

Take a look at the rancheria below the falls. Amazing habitat and looks like it doesn't see much use.