PDA

View Full Version : 2015 - Same ol same old ..... Or doing something new?

Wick
08-06-2015, 06:55 PM
Being a new HuntBC member has helped to change my perspective on a few things. I have spent a lot of my years hunting muley's, moose, and grouse generally in the same area because that is what I grew up doing. Never knew much about whitey's, elk, turkey, feral pigs, and mountain goat/sheep. As I've picked up a lot of good info here and using other online resources, I think this is the year I do some of what I am good at, and try something new. I'm interested in Elk and Whiteys myself and although I haven't yet laid any concrete plans, I will be heading further east than I usually do to give it a try. At worst I get a trip away and I get to see some new back country.

We hear about new hunters all the time challenging themselves with this great sport/passtime. Who among you are planning to try something different this year? Different area than normal? Bow instead of gun? Different species? Whiskey instead of rum? Whatever?

Id like to hear about your plans as you formulate them and the check back in later in the season to see how things worked out.

Good luck to all,

Wick

Boner
08-06-2015, 07:07 PM
Well I guess I'll fly around in a helicopter at work and see what I can see. Figure out accesses and such. Same old same old. :)

As for different, I am a Nosler bullet guy, but I'm going to try and harvest my animal with either a Barnes 168 TTSX or a 200 LRX. I have developed a load for the 168 and am still working on the 200.

untilthelastbeat
08-06-2015, 07:10 PM
This year is alot of new for me. Started by planning a first time stone sheep trip but had to cancel unfortunately. Then got drawn for goat pretty close to home so il be doing weekend trips for that. Never hunted goat before. And replacing the stone sheep trip will be a kootenays elk hunt. Never hunted elk before and always have wanted to so here's my shot. Will be spending a little time chasing a full curl cali ram aswel and then the good old traditional late season mule deer trip. So stoked on this season.

Wentrot
08-06-2015, 07:21 PM
I think this will be an interesting year. I intend on spending a heck of a lot more time chasing mulies and hopefully put eyes on my first whitetail if I get lucky. I have no real expectations, I just want to walk a lot of ground and see some shit.

Alfonz
08-06-2015, 07:32 PM
Back in the day I would grab a bunch of cash round up a hunting partner and my two bit jet boat and head northwest up to Dease lake and put in on anything that would float my boat. We did the cottonwood- upstream, blue, eagle,& rapid, hiked the horseranch and generally had a great time. Found out the hard way that there was no better way to screw up a sheep hunt then by shooting a big bull moose on the first day of the trip.
The next year we would press on and go further up north like Atlin area and Tutshi Lake and try out any river in between like the smart and swift. Had a blast and managed to put several new dents in my boat. The next year over to the east and tried things out there. I enjoyed the west side more seemed like less folk and more remote.
Adventure abounded! My advice is to try new places. and see which one you enjoy most.

Get Some!

stro52
08-06-2015, 07:34 PM
This will be my first season hunting so EVERYTHING will be new to me haha. As far as plans are concerned, doing some scouting and planning on heading out opening day. Work schedule will decide when I can get out again.

untilthelastbeat
08-06-2015, 09:30 PM
Work schedule will decide when I can get out again.
There's your first mistake lol

two-feet
08-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Im headed out with a good buddy on my first fly-in trip. First hunt with my new-to-me JC Higgins in .270 win. High hopes! Really hoping the weather cooperates. It will be nice to be up in the north country for fun, not work.

HarryToolips
08-06-2015, 10:06 PM
Going for a couple short trips 2-3 day hunting trips, short due to family but new areas 4-6 hours away for elk, whitetail, muley, moose, black bear..

JohnBoy
08-06-2015, 10:18 PM
Was getting tired of the same old same old myself. Put in for bull moose in a new area and ended up with a couple draws. Thought I'd be going in blind but some great HBC members helped me out with some info on the area.

caddisguy
08-06-2015, 10:27 PM
Not ready to try anything new but rather to perfect (ok well improve) what I have been trying to accomplish the last two years. That is take take a good blacktail up close in the thick stuff here in Region 2.

I'll be doing a week long any-buck trip for a mule deer in the first week of October with my fiancee. I believe we can get that job done.

I probably have a few more years before I really have the itch to peruse other hunts/species. I'm almost relieved my LEH didn't check out. I need to focus on my main objective.

quadrakid
08-07-2015, 06:24 AM
Going moosing with a moose rookie in 6-09,an area I,ve never hunted. Always like seeing new ground in the moose rut.

Rackmastr
08-07-2015, 06:46 AM
Been something new for the past 3 years since moving to BC, and this year will be nothing different!

Fly-in caribou....high on the bucket list that I've been enjoying doing some of these hunts that I've wanted to do for a long time! Sept 12th cant come quick enough!!

Wentrot
08-07-2015, 07:24 AM
Been something new for the past 3 years since moving to BC, and this year will be nothing different!

Fly-in caribou....high on the bucket list that I've been enjoying doing some of these hunts that I've wanted to do for a long time! Sept 12th cant come quick enough!!

Lucky dog. I look forward to that story

dmuth
08-07-2015, 07:24 AM
Trying bow hunting for the first time after decades of hunting with a rifle. Should be a challenge primarily Elk early season bow only in the rut!

CBH
08-07-2015, 08:18 AM
After a couple decades of hunting big game with a rifle, I am taking a hand at bow hunting. I think primarily whitetail. I was out checking cams last night and saw 3 pretty decent bucks. Lets hope they are still in the area in a few weeks!!

Edge
08-07-2015, 11:31 AM
I too am turning to the bow after decades of rifle hunting. In addition, this will be my first Elk hunt Sept 1. I have hunted moose, sheep,and deer since 1969 and am stoked about a new chapter.

elch jager
08-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Everything is new this year. First BC hunt. New hunting partner. First time for deer.
Ive only hunted moose and small game in Ontario from 79 thru 94... then packed 'em away in grease until this year. Feels like starting over.

stro52
08-07-2015, 04:56 PM
There's your first mistake lol
Haha you're probably right. Double edge sword there tho, if work is busy I make more money but don't get out to hunt as much. If its slow I get to hunt more but make less money. Either way I'll be happy

Downwind
08-07-2015, 06:45 PM
Solo archery moose hunt this year for me. Should be fun!

Brian011
08-07-2015, 07:45 PM
I did something new already this year. Just got back from my first stone sheep hunt and first fly-in and got a nice ram on the second day! My partner also got his first ram on the trip!

pg83
08-07-2015, 08:46 PM
I did something new already this year. Just got back from my first stone sheep hunt and first fly-in and got a nice ram on the second day! My partner also got his first ram on the trip!

Hope to hear some more of this story! Congrats

Moved to the Okanagan this year so there will be a lot of new exploring for me. Going to be spending a lot more time in the bush since I can now go after work! Still going to the Cariboo for a goat tag and a buddy's moose draw. Hoping to sneak out to the Kootenays for a quick elk trip as well.

Sofa King
08-07-2015, 08:49 PM
same ol' same ol' here.
I've found my biggest passion, chasing bucks around....mainly in the snow.
I carry a moose tag in my pocket and if I see a spike while looking for deer, i'll shoot him.
but I concentrate all my efforts on deer.