PDA

View Full Version : Road blockades. Time to send letters to mps?

kilometers
08-06-2015, 11:22 AM
We all know it is goin to happen. Access roads will be blocked again for hunters trying to access hunting grounds.

Was just thinking we should all start sending letters now in protest to these events.
I know nothing will come of it but it is in our best interests to voice our concerns to these issues.

With guide outfitters taking more quotas more people will need to hunt areas like these.

Anybody have a list of mps or high powers we can start bombarding with letters?

adriaticum
08-06-2015, 11:33 AM
This would probably be a provincial matter. You can find on here if you search too, I'm sure it's been posted.

adriaticum
08-06-2015, 11:36 AM
https://www.leg.bc.ca/mla/3-1-7.htm

Mulehahn
08-06-2015, 11:40 AM
Fully agree. I write letters every year. Only response I ever got was from the attorney general saying it is up to the police to decide what us in the best interests of the public.

But it raises another question, for a charge of interfering with a legal hunt to be laid do I actually have to be physically stopped from entering the area or can my knowledge of a blockade in an area I intend to hunt suffice. If so every hunter should just go to his or her local police station or C/O office and say they had plans to hunt up the Klappen but can't because of the blockades. And lastly, it has been ruled blockades on maintained roads are illegal. Since the Klappen is continuously washed out then repaired it is clearly maintained. Demand the police up hold the rule of law.

frenchbar
08-06-2015, 11:56 AM
Your better off to take your spare time and go do some yardwork...

BgBlkDg
08-06-2015, 12:00 PM
Nothing will be done, much like the housing issues, etc. in much of BC.

Eventually, there will be a violent confrontation where several citizens are shot and the coming *war* will erupt.

bassplayer
08-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Yep. Blockade season is almost upon us once again and like BgBlkDg says. Nothing will be done. The cops wont get involved neither will the government unless i'm missing something and someone can point out a time where the cops actually showed up and arrested natives at one of their blockades? They do it cause they know they can get away with it.

edgar11
08-06-2015, 01:05 PM
Nothing will be done, much like the housing issues, etc. in much of BC.

Eventually, there will be a violent confrontation where several citizens are shot and the coming *war* will erupt.

Where do you come up with this stuff? You have some serious issues to deal with I think. You should talk to somebody.

Stresd
08-06-2015, 01:20 PM
Where do you come up with this stuff? You have some serious issues to deal with I think. You should talk to somebody.

Much like the ole Chilcotin Dustup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilcotin_War

BgBlkDg
08-06-2015, 01:21 PM
From decades of actual field experience with various governmental and private agencies and firms involved in resource management, including a threatening visit by several aboriginal radicals to my Alberta Forest Service, station after midnight in June, 1991.

As to ...issues..., well, perhaps *Gufstafsen Lake*, *Oka* and several other acts of violence and intimidation were merely figments of the collective imagination of Canadians......

wideopenthrottle
08-06-2015, 02:24 PM
i was 8 years old when this happened in my home town....there were lots of American natives there fanning flames...here are a few links but you can find many more if you are interested
http://www.ainlay.ca/datafiles/Ourdeva/IndianReservations.pdf
http://sisis.nativeweb.org/sov/oh11occ.html
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/anicinabe-park-occupation-observed-in-kenora-40-years-later-1.2744139
http://www.kenoradailyminerandnews.com/2014/08/25/veterans-and-supporters-commemorate-summer-of-74-anicinabe-park-occupation

tuner
08-06-2015, 03:32 PM
It's a joke that an agency charged with upholding and enforcing the law like the RCMP, are essentially neutered by the government into abandoning their duty, simply because of political cowardice. Nothing will be done.

BromBones
08-06-2015, 04:06 PM
I still think it's funny when you look at the places they have been blocking

Ealue Lk rd/Klappan railgrade = built for transport/mining. Indians didn't build it.

Jade/Boulder = mining. Again, locals didn't build it.

IF it weren't for us white guys building vehicle access, they would never see their 'traditional' hunting grounds anymore.

"Thanks for building the road, now get off our land" :)

edgar11
08-06-2015, 04:08 PM
From decades of actual field experience with various governmental and private agencies and firms involved in resource management, including a threatening visit by several aboriginal radicals to my Alberta Forest Service, station after midnight in June, 1991.

As to ...issues..., well, perhaps *Gufstafsen Lake*, *Oka* and several other acts of violence and intimidation were merely figments of the collective imagination of Canadians......

OK I see you were threatened by some "radicals" who happened to be FN way back when. So, I was threatened by a Caucasian fellow some years back so I am supposed to feel the need to "go to war" with every Caucasian person? How silly does that sound? Anyway, like I said that is an issue that you should have dealt with sooner than later.

"acts of violence and intimidation"? Well depends how you look at it I guess. I seen peaceful protest turn into violence. Depends on what side you believe instigated the violence. I guess some people see bringing your grandmother, wife and kids if your intention was to invoke violence that makes sense to some. Yeah the Army and the RCMP had nothing to do with that. Its funny the last one in Vancouver was peaceful. Was it because that there is widespread media now a days and things cannot be swept under the rug anymore? Too many people running around with Cell phone cameras recording everything. You probably don't even know why those people were protesting in the first place do you? Like I said on the other thread you stopped responding to, learn more and educate yourself before you state your opinions on the subject.

edgar11
08-06-2015, 04:15 PM
I still think it's funny when you look at the places they have been blocking

Ealue Lk rd/Klappan railgrade = built for transport/mining. Indians didn't build it.

Jade/Boulder = mining. Again, locals didn't build it.

IF it weren't for us white guys building vehicle access, they would never see their 'traditional' hunting grounds anymore.

"Thanks for building the road, now get off our land" :)

Do you know why they were blocking those areas? You have no idea do you? "us white guys" is a very vast broad blanket you are covering yourself with. You sound like that guy who thinks he had something to do with the modern day rifle. That is too funny! I do not believe you are 10 years old and playing "cowboys and Indians" anymore. Time to grow up and judge people on their own merits instead of the color of their skin. :-P

Islanderr
08-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Has anyone ever considered just walking right up there and moving stuff out of the way? Iv never seen the blockades before but back roads are usually fairly big, with roads possibly connecting to a road that is past the blockade, at least on the v island anyways....luckily we don't have blockades here....

BgBlkDg
08-06-2015, 04:32 PM
OK I see you were threatened by some "radicals" who happened to be FN way back when. So, I was threatened by a Caucasian fellow some years back so I am supposed to feel the need to "go to war" with every Caucasian person? How silly does that sound? Anyway, like I said that is an issue that you should have dealt with sooner than later.

"acts of violence and intimidation"? Well depends how you look at it I guess. I seen peaceful protest turn into violence. Depends on what side you believe instigated the violence. I guess some people see bringing your grandmother, wife and kids if your intention was to invoke violence that makes sense to some. Yeah the Army and the RCMP had nothing to do with that. Its funny the last one in Vancouver was peaceful. Was it because that there is widespread media now a days and things cannot be swept under the rug anymore? Too many people running around with Cell phone cameras recording everything. You probably don't even know why those people were protesting in the first place do you? Like I said on the other thread you stopped responding to, learn more and educate yourself before you state your opinions on the subject.

Blah, blah, blah, same old *poor me* rhetoric.....whine, snivel, moan and gimme, gimme, gimme.......

BromBones
08-06-2015, 04:38 PM
Do you know why they were blocking those areas? You have no idea do you?

I know exactly why they've been blocked. Have spent many thousands of hours up in that country in the last 10 or 12 years hunting, working, etc. I know quite a few locals pretty well. There are some good people, especially some of the elders.

They've blockaded against Fortune Minerals, Shell, more recently Imperial Metals a couple times. They've also blockaded hunters in the fall on the Klappan, Jade Rd, Telegraph creek, and will continue to do it in more areas of the province. It will only get worse.

Some don't want mining/industry up there. That's fine. Most don't want resident hunters up there, and that's not acceptable, especially when we are taking bulls from a healthy population within season, and they openly take cow/calf pairs year round or multiple animals under the guise of feeding the tribe.

My point was, how can an area be 'traditional' anymore when you access it with pickups, atv's and snow machines on roads that white men built?

frenchbar
08-06-2015, 04:40 PM
You'll never talk sense into BD ****s like that Edgar..save the wear and tear on the finger ��

Avalanche123
08-06-2015, 05:03 PM
I know exactly why they've been blocked. Have spent many thousands of hours up in that country in the last 10 or 12 years hunting, working, etc. I know quite a few locals pretty well. There are some good people, especially some of the elders.

They've blockaded against Fortune Minerals, Shell, more recently Imperial Metals a couple times. They've also blockaded hunters in the fall on the Klappan, Jade Rd, Telegraph creek, and will continue to do it in more areas of the province. It will only get worse.

Some don't want mining/industry up there. That's fine. Most don't want resident hunters up there, and that's not acceptable, especially when we are taking bulls from a healthy population within season, and they openly take cow/calf pairs year round or multiple animals under the guise of feeding the tribe.

My point was, how can an area be 'traditional' anymore when you access it with pickups, atv's and snow machines on roads that white men built?

Very good point! I can relate to the above statement having lived in the area for 25 years. And whether you disagree with BgBlkDog or not, his above point is valid as well.

itsy bitsy xj
08-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Blah, blah, blah, same old *poor me* rhetoric.....whine, snivel, moan and gimme, gimme, gimme.......

Thats why Trump will be the next president, Alot of people are tried of others sponging off the government and tax payers and they feel the time for change is apon us

betteroffishing
08-06-2015, 06:03 PM
Ok

not judgeing others by the color of their skin comment just pissed me off. WTF do you think those Indians who are blocking any non Indian from using a publicly maintained road by ways of said blockade are doing ? That's right , those bands involved or even condoning these blockades do need to grow up and stop judgeing people by the color of their skin. Such a hypocrite.

betteroffishing
08-06-2015, 06:03 PM
Do you know why they were blocking those areas? You have no idea do you? "us white guys" is a very vast broad blanket you are covering yourself with. You sound like that guy who thinks he had something to do with the modern day rifle. That is too funny! I do not believe you are 10 years old and playing "cowboys and Indians" anymore. Time to grow up and judge people on their own merits instead of the color of their skin. :-P

my comment was in regards to this post.

IslandBC
08-06-2015, 06:28 PM
Just pack a Pepsi truck full of hunters... They will let you right through

Spy
08-06-2015, 06:43 PM
Just pack a Pepsi truck full of hunters... They will let you right through
Modern day Trojan horse ;-) I like it ! ;-)

edgar11
08-07-2015, 06:03 AM
You'll never talk sense into BD ****s like that Edgar..save the wear and tear on the finger ��

HaHa I know, I don't know what I was thinking. I was thinking for a minute there I was talking to regular people. I know what "most" people think so its all good.:-o

.330 Dakota
08-07-2015, 07:47 AM
After my disappointing trip up to the Klappan, I sent a very detailed letter to Christy Clark demanding action,,well see how they respond,,not holding my breath

kilometers
08-07-2015, 07:52 AM
After my disappointing trip up to the Klappan, I sent a very detailed letter to Christy Clark demanding action,,well see how they respond,,not holding my breath

Good. I plan on doin a couple this weekend. Gotta do something. Can't just sit back and let this happen. People give up to easy. The old nothing will change so why bother really bugs me. That's exactly what the government wants.

Dannybuoy
08-07-2015, 07:57 AM
It will be interesting to see what kind of response (if any) you get , I sent an email to CC on a non related manner this past year and got an immediate response and referral .

.330 Dakota
08-07-2015, 08:08 AM
Squeaky door gets the oil,,,just ask the Indians,,,also I am a firm believer in that "Evil wins, when good men do nothing"

Paulyman
08-07-2015, 08:12 AM
The day I encounter a blockade is likely the day I go to jail. Pedal to the metal and get out of my way assholes.

knz31
09-11-2015, 10:14 AM
was that this year? was there a blockade already?

.330 Dakota
09-11-2015, 10:32 AM
Blockade wasnt there this past weekend,,but the camp is all set up and ready at the HWY,,,the locals were saying it was going up around the 10th as the moose season opens on the 15th....if they werrent hunting in there, and had a valid moose population concern,,,then I would probably support their effort at conservation,,,however we all know that this isnt the case,,,I was in there Aug 1st long weekend scouting and saw Indians hunting and spoke with one of them,,,they are shooting all moose they see. Then I was back in there Sept long weekend and the previous week hunting,,,they werent too friendly to say the least,,wouldnt even wave when we waved,,,bombing down the railgrade in their pickups,,,,hhhmmm did they build the railgrade,,,maybe we should send them the bill for the construction of that road they use to access the Beauty Camp as they call it

44inchStone
09-11-2015, 10:46 AM
What would happen if the Provincial Highways were blocked to keep them ON the reserves? WE citizens pay taxes to upgrade, update and maintain highways so they to (the NON Taxpayer) can access them for work, travel etc.
WHY is it that they can even be allowed to block ANY highway? Most of these access roads that are blocked by FN are NOT on reserve land and the very same ones that we also pay through our taxes to access.
We have a wimpy government that really need to grow a set.
Enough is enough!!

srupp
09-11-2015, 11:10 AM
[QUOTinisexchange=edgis differentr1cows6671. .38motHaHa I isntnowindun I don't know what I was thinking. I was thinking foI a minute there I was talking to regular people. I know what "most" people think so its all good.:-o[/QUOTE]

Hmm Edgar..go read the account by 330..on this thred..indiuns..shooting every moose they see..never have they practiced management..if the moose are gone..govt will buy us beef..
Dont you get It? Its not the odd wierd person..its most TAXPAYERS are sick of spending hundreds of millions of dollars....to make chiefs wealthy..band members dont seem to benefit?
Then In exchange..block lawful legal acces cuz they want it all, and extortion for more $$$$ from oil gas..
The tchilcotin case Is different..there was a war..the rest of the province is excessive demands and threats..not wanting jobs..just the $$$$$
Hmmm university educated...medical license..38 years solid employment..tax payer..
Edgar YOU are wrong..we the taxpayer are fed up bgblkdg..isnt wrong..he was merely the first to stand up.
You have my support Edgar..to be equal...hold a job, pay taxes, expect equal treatment, hunting seasons and quotas..but not 365 day hunting, block roads for more special treatment.
You want to be equal? Start acting , behaving like the 97 % not Indian in the Province..
No one Is supporting native extortion, whining, go see just how many hundreds of millions was spent on each rez...and where is the money? Hmmm how embarrassing..
No moose? How many calves, pregnat cows, what were the harvest stats for those cermonual meat hunters that sell the meat..i know those numbers for non native hunters.
Edgar grow a set stand up like a man..life has rules..even for natives..
Rule # 1..kill the goose that gives golden eggs...no more gold
Want to be respected? Show yourself worthy of that respect..ets earned not demanded or held hostage
The world has changed.
Cheers
Srupp

Glenny
09-11-2015, 03:34 PM
This would probably be a provincial matter. You can find on here if you search too, I'm sure it's been posted.

I was thinking this would also be a federal indian affairs thing.

edgar11
09-11-2015, 05:20 PM
[QUOTinisexchange=edgis differentr1cows6671. .38motHaHa I isntnowindun I don't know what I was thinking. I was thinking foI a minute there I was talking to regular people. I know what "most" people think so its all good.:-o

Hmm Edgar..go read the account by 330..on this thred..indiuns..shooting every moose they see..never have they practiced management..if the moose are gone..govt will buy us beef..
Dont you get It? Its not the odd wierd person..its most TAXPAYERS are sick of spending hundreds of millions of dollars....to make chiefs wealthy..band members dont seem to benefit?
Then In exchange..block lawful legal acces cuz they want it all, and extortion for more $$$$ from oil gas..
The tchilcotin case Is different..there was a war..the rest of the province is excessive demands and threats..not wanting jobs..just the $$$$$
Hmmm university educated...medical license..38 years solid employment..tax payer..
Edgar YOU are wrong..we the taxpayer are fed up bgblkdg..isnt wrong..he was merely the first to stand up.
You have my support Edgar..to be equal...hold a job, pay taxes, expect equal treatment, hunting seasons and quotas..but not 365 day hunting, block roads for more special treatment.
You want to be equal? Start acting , behaving like the 97 % not Indian in the Province..
No one Is supporting native extortion, whining, go see just how many hundreds of millions was spent on each rez...and where is the money? Hmmm how embarrassing..
No moose? How many calves, pregnat cows, what were the harvest stats for those cermonual meat hunters that sell the meat..i know those numbers for non native hunters.
Edgar grow a set stand up like a man..life has rules..even for natives..
Rule # 1..kill the goose that gives golden eggs...no more gold
Want to be respected? Show yourself worthy of that respect..ets earned not demanded or held hostage
The world has changed.
Cheers
Srupp[/QUOTE]

First you need to realize that not EVERY FN person lives on a RESERVE and not EVERY Chief takes advantage of his people. The money you speak of on reserves goes to things like education and healthcare to those that need it. Much like ordinary welfare. I for one and many others pay regular taxes because we do not live on a Reserve. Yes there are those abusing their right to hunt but their are many that do not. Just like there are some Caucasian people who are mass murderers and fortunately most are not. You see you are making generalizations of a race of people based on the color of their skin. This is bigotry no matter how you want to twist it. I think you are getting a little carried away with your "hundreds of millions of dollars" quote as most money made on reserves nowadays is through leasing of band land to government and private entities. I cannot say blockading roads are all legit as some are probably doing it for their own benefit but I know some are legit and truly feel that it is neccesary to protect the environment. Thats what you all complain about don't you that we are no "stewards of the land". Well thats what some are trying to do. "Stand up like a man"? You might realize many are doing this if you would stop concentrating all your time and effort on what the negatives are. Alot of good things are going on around you , you just have to look around there Steven. Cheers.

edgar11
09-11-2015, 05:23 PM
What would happen if the Provincial Highways were blocked to keep them ON the reserves? WE citizens pay taxes to upgrade, update and maintain highways so they to (the NON Taxpayer) can access them for work, travel etc.
WHY is it that they can even be allowed to block ANY highway? Most of these access roads that are blocked by FN are NOT on reserve land and the very same ones that we also pay through our taxes to access.
We have a wimpy government that really need to grow a set.
Enough is enough!!

Spoiler alert! Not all FN people live on reserves. Heck some even pay the taxes you speak about. I do tend to agree with you regarding our government though.

.330 Dakota
09-11-2015, 06:27 PM
Edgar,,,I do undertand you are between a rock and a hard place so to speak,,,,we are not attacking you,,,at least that is not my intention,,,like I said in another post,,I have native friends,,,they live off reserve,,they work hard,,,they contribute just like I do...thats the way all FN should be,,,keeping reserves is like having people in a zoo,,,its wrong,,problem is, there are lots of FN that have learned to live that way and wont change with the times, and they extort the system and blame the (white man) and yes they use that term,,, for their desparity,,,which they have the power and resources to fix themselves.....If it was training, jobs, and equality they wanted,,Id vote for that in a heartbeat. Special treatment,,,Naa

srupp
09-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Sorry Edgar you may be one of the exceptions, and yes I do know more..
Just so very damn frustrating to pay a chief $200,000..and hundreds of millions to 200...400 folks..and no roofs? Where is the money? The amount of B.C, s bands that have been asked to look into money issues by their own members..
The rich non natives of Canada dont care..its the hard working middle class..
Been on rezervations for 38 years weekly if not daily..no self respect by how they live..but break out the eagle feathers and drums for a road block..if they might gain..
The system is fataly flawed..giving more just results in less effort..

Give a man a fish..he eats for a day. .
Teach a man to fish..he eats for a lifetime..
Those ceremonial and substience salmon being dip netted..they are starting to show up for sale..
Steven

.330 Dakota
09-11-2015, 10:10 PM
Those ceremonial and substience salmon being dip netted..they are starting to show up for sale..
Steven

I know this is true as an absolute fact

edgar11
09-12-2015, 09:44 AM
Steven

I know this is true as an absolute fact

Yes this is very true and sad to hear but what you guys fail to see are the ones that DO make it to the ceremonies and communities. You don't see the gatherings of hundreds of people almost every weekend in the winter for ceremonial purposes. These are upstanding law abiding citizens who do not abuse drugs or alcohol and most have full time jobs. You don't see the guys going door to door offering the Elders of the community fish or wild game meat because they know the Elders can no longer get it themselves. I have one friend who has one freezer dedicated to helping out his community. It is full of fish and wild game and people come and take what they need and never abuse his trust. You are ONLY concentrating on the negative aspects similar to the local news cast. Our world looks very bleak if you only gathered information from the news. Its only when you get out and see the world for yourself do you see the other side.

44inchStone
09-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Spoiler alert! Not all FN people live on reserves. Heck some even pay the taxes you speak about. I do tend to agree with you regarding our government though.
Edgar11,
Not once did I say that some natives don't pay taxes or some don't live on reserves. I do know for a fact that there are some band chiefs in BC that don't even live on their own reserve that they were voted in to support.
This is starting to get off track.
I'm saying ANY blockade on ANY public road by ANYONE is pure crap and as a taxpayer, should be allowed to access these roads without any issues or fear that there may be issues where ever my truck is parked or my camp is set up.
The ones doing these blockades should take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror and they will see that the problems are staring right back at them.

300wsmBrowning
09-13-2015, 12:12 AM
Sorry Edgar you may be one of the exceptions, and yes I do know more..
Just so very damn frustrating to pay a chief $200,000..and hundreds of millions to 200...400 folks..and no roofs? Where is the money? The amount of B.C, s bands that have been asked to look into money issues by their own members..
The rich non natives of Canada dont care..its the hard working middle class..
Been on rezervations for 38 years weekly if not daily..no self respect by how they live..but break out the eagle feathers and drums for a road block..if they might gain..
The system is fataly flawed..giving more just results in less effort..

Give a man a fish..he eats for a day. .
Teach a man to fish..he eats for a lifetime..
Steven in port alberni they sell what they can and dump the rest in the ditch by the truck load. True conservationist that only take what they can use. biggest load of crap there is. Just like driving through the chilcotin and seein a hind quarter of moose on the front lawn with dogs eating it.

Mulehahn
09-13-2015, 12:25 AM
Edgar11,
Not once did I say that some natives don't pay taxes or some don't live on reserves. I do know for a fact that there are some band chiefs in BC that don't even live on their own reserve that they were voted in to support.
This is starting to get off track.
I'm saying ANY blockade on ANY public road by ANYONE is pure crap and as a taxpayer, should be allowed to access these roads without any issues or fear that there may be issues where ever my truck is parked or my camp is set up.
The ones doing these blockades should take a long hard look at themselves in the mirror and they will see that the problems are staring right back at them.

This is one of the best posts I have seen on here in a while. Thank you 44.