PDA

View Full Version : garmin e trex 30 handheld gps for sheep hunting.Good or Bad

mikek blacktail
08-06-2015, 11:11 AM
I'm buying a gps for my sheep hunting trip,what are your thoughts.I no little about gps units but it seems like the best option for the price . Am i making the right decision ???

howa1500
08-06-2015, 11:17 AM
I have one and quite like it, but maps are extra and so is the SD card...

mikek blacktail
08-06-2015, 05:11 PM
thx i know that ,just heard garmin is the way to go

albravo2
08-06-2015, 05:18 PM
If you have a smartphone, I strongly suggest Backcountry Navigator. Why carry two devices? Smartphone can take photos, connect with a Delorme, and give full GPS functionality.

I particularly like downloading a bunch of satellite imagery for my destination. I still find it better than a topo in many cases.

electroman
08-06-2015, 05:19 PM
Cant go wrong with Garmin. I have a Etrex Vista HCX. I don't think they make them anymore but it is a nice little unit. Good accuracy even in a bag.

Harv
08-06-2015, 05:21 PM
had the etrex 30 for a year now with back roads map book card in it, great unit with the card, well worth it

SR80
08-07-2015, 06:40 AM
I suggest you learn how to use it very well before you head into the sheep country too.

Jagermeister
08-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Go with a model that has a little larger screen. Garmin of course. I would not do the smart phone thing, charging becomes a challenge on anything like a remote sheep hunt. I am not sure if Garmin has approved the use of lithium batteries yet, if they have, take at least 4 extra. Don't want the unit dying on you. And please take a compass. And follow SR80's advice.

Stresd
08-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Go with a model that has a little larger screen. Garmin of course. I would not do the smart phone thing, charging becomes a challenge on anything like a remote sheep hunt. I am not sure if Garmin has approved the use of lithium batteries yet, if they have, take at least 4 extra. Don't want the unit dying on you. And please take a compass. And follow SR80's advice.

I"ve used Lithiums in my Garmin 60 CSX for years now with no problem.

mikek blacktail
08-07-2015, 07:38 PM
the gps is my back up ,i still use my compass lol.thanks guys i bought it..

SR80
08-08-2015, 06:19 AM
I run lithiums too. The only issue is the battery life meter isn't accurate. But I always have two spares.

john.b
08-08-2015, 06:22 AM
I carry an etrex 30, i seldom use it but ways carry it. When I have used it I found it to be pretty good

coyotebc
08-08-2015, 07:03 PM
A good free topo map for garmin is ibycus-topo
I used version 4

Jagermeister
08-10-2015, 12:09 AM
On the question of Lithium battery use.
Can I use Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries in my Garmin GPS?

Email this Answer (http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B315d14c0-2110-11dd-7d03-000000000000%7D#)
Print this Answer (http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B315d14c0-2110-11dd-7d03-000000000000%7D#)

01/14/2015
When determining which batteries will suit your application best, it is important to note, if Lithium batteries are chosen, that two distinct types exist.

Lithium Batteries
Lithium Ion Batteries

The difference in these two types of batteries resides in the voltage each produces. Please check to ensure that the voltage listed on the battery does not exceed the voltage requirement of your GPS listed in themanual (https://buy.garmin.com/support/manuals/searchManuals.faces?refresh=true).
The difference in voltage between the two batteries is as follows:

Lithium batteries have a voltage of 1.75V and are not rechargeable
Lithium Ion batteries have a voltage of 4.2V and are rechargeable

Often Lithium batteries are the preferred choice for those choosing to use such a battery. In many cases, a Lithium battery will need to be used after its voltage has dropped below the recommended voltage listed in the device manual. It is not recommended that Lithium Ion batteries be used. In many cases these batteries exceed the limits of Garmin GPS devices and can cause irreversible damage.
Reference Link:
https://buy.garmin.com/support/manuals/searchManuals.faces?refresh=true

Mountain Hunter
08-10-2015, 10:36 PM

Good advice, I would add that most Garmin units have a setting for NiMH batteries and they take forever to drain. I can get several hours out of a set after the gps unit indicates 'low battery'. Still, bring spares of whatever batteries you choose.