PDA

View Full Version : equipment question

mcmullmar
08-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Looking for advice on what to buy. I am planning my first Elk hunt to the Kootenays this Oct. I am trying to decide what would work better a pack board or game cart.

Thanks for your help

Whonnock Boy
08-05-2015, 05:29 PM
Depends on what you are planning. If you are going to try some of the road closures, I would suggest both, as the cart is a great way to haul heavy loads, for longer distances in the closures. If you are planning on just packing in wherever, find a suitable pack. I would also suggest finding a young strapping lad to help you with the bounty, as we all know, elk are big. :)

BgBlkDg
08-05-2015, 05:32 PM
A good pack is essential for Kootenay hunting and there are more GOOD packs available specifically for hunting now than ever before since I humped my first pack on day hikes around Nelson, in 1956.

Kermodie
08-05-2015, 05:58 PM
A good pack/board can be used anywhere, a cart, not so much. Depends what your idea of elk hunting is, down along the river valleys or up in the steep dark timber.

Mikey Rafiki
08-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Pack board 100%. If your in a position to do some dragging just have some rope with you, or better yet tie straps as they don't dig into you as much. You can always fashion up a game sled out of some timber if you need to. I've only been in on one local elk where a game cart would have been nice and that was a bottom of the valley road closure area. Left the hide on the quarters and did some dragging combined with some meat on the back.

mcmullmar
08-05-2015, 06:40 PM
Ok thanks fro the help