PDA

View Full Version : September 14 wk - Sturgeon or island salmon/hali

Krico
08-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Guys,

I don't know either of these fisheries. I may need to set up a day of guided fishing (work trip) to coincide with meetings. I'm thinking of either sturgeon fishing in the fraser valley somewhere, or salmon/hali off the island. The week is September 14.
Is sturgeon fishing this time of year productive?
How about the coho & hali fishing off the island?
Any recommendations for service providers? Would be looking for likely 2 boats, 1 day trip. Don't need fancy lodge etc, just a day of good solid action after a couple days of being stuck in meetings.

Fire away with thoughts, or of course feel free to pm. Thanks!

wideopenthrottle
08-05-2015, 02:25 PM
try island outfitters out of vic ...really good guys

Fella
08-05-2015, 02:57 PM
Blue Fin fishing adventures out of Sooke. Pat is a great guy and an awesome guide, I highly recommend him!

weatherbyjunkie
08-08-2015, 11:04 PM
Sturgeon fishing is generally pretty good by then,coho are also in the Fraser as well by then

The Dawg
08-08-2015, 11:06 PM
Salmon and hali.

You can fill a few coolers :)

knothead
08-08-2015, 11:47 PM
Sept is prime time for sturgeon, thats when the really big boys roll in following the fall salmon runs. Generally the guides on the fraser like to do hit the salmon in the morning and on to the sturgeon in the afternoon. My best so far is 10ft estimated at 550-600lbs, 21/2 hrs to land it, 20 salmon couldn't come close to that :) When one of those launches full out of the water it's something to see...just sayin :)))))

pin_head
08-09-2015, 06:24 AM
If you're looking for an experience, I'd say hit the river for sturgeon.

If you want to/are able to bring home some meat for the freezer then the island will serve you better.

Cheers,
Brad

tim3500
08-09-2015, 06:47 AM
Hit the River will be all five types of salmon in the river at that time and its a pink year so fishing on a fly for those is a reel blast !

Krico
08-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Ok thanks guys just wanted to confirm run timing. I'm familiar with timing of runs on north coast but have never fished lower mainland or island. Since my freezer's already full of salmon and halibut from my July trip to ocean I'll see if I can sell the sturgeon idea. Worst case scenario I'll back pocket the plan until next year.