PDA

View Full Version : Viking Deer Splitter

Harvest the Land
08-04-2015, 12:08 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any experience using this tool for cutting through the pelvic bone and rib cage on deer? The youtube video sure makes it look pretty easy and effective tool to use - it saves one from dulling a knife or using a saw. I'm thinking of ordering one, but just wanted to hear if anyone has any experience with this tool. (and, would it also work on larger ungulates like Elk or Moose)?

Thanks in advance!

ajr5406
08-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Have you got a link?

Harvest the Land
08-04-2015, 12:21 PM
You bet:

http://vikingsl.com/portfolio/deer-splitter/

BigfishCanada
08-04-2015, 12:38 PM
WOw that thing looks amazing, i need one for sure. I use a drywall saw today and it doesnt peform well

plumberjustin
08-04-2015, 02:27 PM
Looks like a must have for any big game hunter. At a reasonable price too.

Dannybuoy
08-04-2015, 02:48 PM
Hmm? I don't get it .... about 5 or 6 strokes with a small meat saw to do either the H bone or the brisket , looks like another gadget for the guy who has everything to me .

odd6hunter
08-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Hmm? I don't get it .... about 5 or 6 strokes with a small meat saw to do either the H bone or the brisket , looks like another gadget for the guy who has everything to me .

Like he said - more shit to carry that you don't need. I guess if your a road hunter it don't matter.

bcsteve
08-04-2015, 07:47 PM
Works pretty slick but you could do the same thing with a pair of loppers from Canadian Tire.

Sniperdan
08-04-2015, 09:51 PM
Two words....GUTLESS METHOD! Get rid of all the gadgets in your pack. Harvest all the meat in 15 minutes using only a knife!

Mikey Rafiki
08-04-2015, 10:12 PM
Two words....GUTLESS METHOD! Get rid of all the gadgets in your pack. Harvest all the meat in 15 minutes using only a knife!

The breastbone is pretty easy to take out with a good knife, and I've never needed to split the pelvis regardless of what method you use. But I carry a saw as I prefer my ribs with the bone in unless it's a couple mile pack out. Plus the saw is just a good tool to have around in the bush.

sapper
08-04-2015, 10:19 PM
I don't have any experience with this but seem to recall another tool (I can't remember the name) that I looked at last year that did a similar task.
I just remembered, it was the Sagensaw, similar... But different. :smile:

wideopenthrottle
08-05-2015, 09:29 AM
for any smaller animal we just spit the breast bone with a knife....a meat saw is a pretty important tool if you are splitting the back..one year buddy brought his cordless sawzall which was pretty slick for quartering a moose in the field but as others have said, how much extra stuff do you wanna haul?

Jagermeister
08-05-2015, 11:39 AM
Don't forget the kitchen sink.

A Wyoming knife will work quite nicely with a significant decrease in volume and weight of the tools. If you don't mind the weight, then a sawzall and battery would be the order of the day.