PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in the Radium Hot Springs region

6mm
08-03-2015, 11:42 AM
My wife and I are going to retire to Radium Hot Springs. Hopefully we will begin the transition from Saskatchewan within a year - our youngest child is entering his last year of high school and then the nest will be empty.

I would like to know how the hunting is in the region. I realize that I will have to qualify myself as a resident as per provincial regulations (which I am currently beginning to research) but would eventually like to hunt bear, deer, elk and moose. I can only begin to imagine that the terrain will be unlike any I have hunted on in the prairies!

I would imagine from all that I have read that the fishing must be pretty darn good too. Being that there is a wetland in the region is there also opportunities to hunt waterfowl?

The hunting aside I plan on making as much of the hiking and camping as I can until my days are done. My wife is looking forward to the hot springs to ease her arthritis. All of our children will be within 9 hours of Radium so for us it appears to be the perfect location to live out our days.

My thanks in advance to any and all for your helpful insights into the opportunities available in the area.

6mm

Mikey Rafiki
08-03-2015, 12:13 PM
You can easily find all of those critters within 30 minutes of Radium, plus some nice sheep if the ones in town will let you by. Access to the back country is quite easy and yes there is some steep terrain, but you will also find the whitetails, muleys, bear and elk in the main valley, especially later in the season.

riflebuilder
08-03-2015, 07:51 PM
great place to live and the hunting is great

ActionJackson017
08-03-2015, 08:03 PM
I lived for 3 years in the Koots, that valley is amazing for what you're looking for. I don't recall seeing that many moose, but all others you should find no problem, plus you wont have to go far for turkey. If you've got some light fly gear, the cutthroat trout fishing in a lot of the mountain streams can be very productive too.

Drillbit
08-03-2015, 08:08 PM
After hunting BC and Sask my entire life, I can easily say that you will miss the hunting opportunities Saskatchewan offers if you are an avid hunter.

BC has unique hunting experiences, but if you want action, volume, and big animals, it's hard to beat the prairies.

Radium is nice, lots of AB plates there though. I've hunted the Horsethief quite a bit over the years and have never had a bad time.

Everett
08-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Good hunting for Elk, Deer a Black Bear but the town is over run with city folk from cow town. Cost living is quite high as well. I would suggest looking farther South Cranbrook, Kimberley or Creston are much nicer and much lower cost of living better hunting as well.

6mm
08-03-2015, 08:32 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Drillbit, I am not a volume or trophy type hunter so I should be ok. At my stage in life just getting out in new areas and enjoying the hunt seem to take priority more now than my younger days.

ActionJackson017....turkey....that would be totally new to me. Only turkey I have ever seen had white feathers at a Hutterite colony or browned up in my wife's roaster. Hmm, think that gives me an excuse for a new shotgun!

Riflebuilder and Mikey....the more I hear, see and read makes the move to Radium more perfect for us all the time. We are looking forward to getting a nice place that eventually we will leave to our 6 children to use as a vacation place for their families down the road. Just hope the neighbors don't mind some Rider green stuff!

Still wondering about the migratory bird scene...if not much for opportunities I guess it will be a reason to head back to Saskatchewan for a couple of weeks every fall.

2wheellifer
08-03-2015, 08:33 PM
And there is a LONG tourist season>

6mm
08-03-2015, 08:48 PM
Everett, we looked at those areas but the Hot Springs for the wife's arthritis became the deciding factor. Happy wife, happy life ha ha.

2wheellifer, are those on the LEH? :wink:

Foxton Gundogs
08-03-2015, 09:24 PM
Heading back toward Golden there are some nice marshes about half way. I've never shot them but seen and heard lots of waterfowl there so my guess is with some scouting and door knocking you would do OK

6mm
08-03-2015, 10:21 PM
Sound great Foxton. Would be tough for this prairie boy not to have birds close at hand. Looking forward to checking that area out.

6mm

Rhyno
08-04-2015, 05:54 AM
Still wondering about the migratory bird scene...if not much for opportunities I guess it will be a reason to head back to Saskatchewan for a couple of weeks every fall.

I think you will have to head to Creston for some decent duck hunting, would be about 2.5 hr drive from Radium.

google Creaton Valley Wildlife Management Area, I know you need to buy a special permit.

6mm
08-04-2015, 11:53 AM
Rhyno, thanks for the heads up about Creston Valley - will do!

6mm

Everett
08-04-2015, 12:27 PM
Lots of Bird hunting north of Radium its the largest intact wetland Western Canada

tenrag
08-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Hey 6mm, I'm living in Invermere and the hunting is great. Many large game within 15-20 mins of Radium. The elk population increases as you move south towards kimberley, white & mule deer are all over the place, black bear also. Goats to the west if you like cliff hunting. The hot springs are a bonus but to be honest they are packed most of the time with sweaty tourists so we avoid going during the peak months. It is perfect after a day of hunting because the pools are quiet.

6mm
08-04-2015, 11:36 PM
Everett, thanks for the info, I will be looking forward to the birds.

tenrag, I figured the tourists would be in the pools during the peak but like you said, after the hunt the pools should be the icing on the cake.

The more I hear the more I will likely get to Radium sooner than later. If I could only board out my son for his grade 12 year....momma would have a bird though!

On a side note, I heard there were bass in BC. Any near Radium?

6mm

Everett
08-05-2015, 08:29 AM
Wasa lake an hour or so south has bass.

Quince
08-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Hunted there last year, amazing area. Wanted to move there but wife killed that idea. Just watch out for grizz.

toad
08-05-2015, 04:58 PM
bass in windermere lake too

Mikey Rafiki
08-05-2015, 06:06 PM
bass in windermere lake too

I've heard there's some nice ones in there.

snowplayaa
08-06-2015, 10:10 AM
6mm, thanks for this thread. I am moving to the area (Invermere) in two weeks--just in time for the season. Really excited and I think there's enough game around for the both of us, Good luck!

tenrag
08-06-2015, 10:12 PM
A nice population of bass in Wasa Lake and Lake Windermere. In fact i think those are the only two lakes you can fish for bass in region 4.