PDA

View Full Version : Seeing lot's of bucks lately.

savagecanuck
08-02-2015, 09:58 PM
In the past week I have seen 4 bucks all in velvet. A decent 4x3 muley in region 4 and 4 point WT on Friday am in region 8 plus 2 smaller muley bucks this am out scouting at 5 am this morning. One was a goofy looking spiker and a nice tall 2 point. Saw 4 fawns and the spots are still showing. Hope it's a good sign to a good year.

Muliechaser
08-02-2015, 10:15 PM
In the past week I have seen 4 bucks all in velvet. A decent 4x3 muley in region 4 and 4 point WT on Friday am in region 8 plus 2 smaller muley bucks this am out scouting at 5 am this morning. One was a goofy looking spiker and a nice tall 2 point. Saw 4 fawns and the spots are still showing. Hope it's a good sign to a good year.

Indeed it will be !

Cyrus
08-02-2015, 11:14 PM
always seem to be lots around...until september....

bc_buckshot
08-02-2015, 11:22 PM
Dont count your chickens before they hatch. I learned my lesson 2 years ago. In my case see monster buck, lots of shootable bucks, hog of bears, and even some elk in person and trail camera on salt and come midnight Aug 31 its a whole new ball game. My word of advise is admire what you see now, and then get to work start of hunting season. It been proven year after year for me. FYI.... Anmials more

caddisguy
08-03-2015, 07:31 AM
Dont count your chickens before they hatch. I learned my lesson 2 years ago. In my case see monster buck, lots of shootable bucks, hog of bears, and even some elk in person and trail camera on salt and come midnight Aug 31 its a whole new ball game. My word of advise is admire what you see now, and then get to work start of hunting season. It been proven year after year for me. FYI.... Anmials more

x2... I think I lost a copy of the regs in the bush. August 30th those deer are already on the move. They know what's up. Sorry guys, my fault :(

The funny part is, one of the places I hunt is a provincial park with no early bow season. All hunting starts Sep 10th, but come August 30th, 48 hours prior to when bow season starts outside the park (as far as 30km away) the deer go into stealth mode regardless... from hanging out at the cams daily to probably not seen again for the season.

I've wondered if it's not so much that they're on the run after they start feeling the hunting pressure, but rather through conditioning and evolution that they distance themselves from people in the fall. Hunting or no hunting perhaps we would see the same behaviour, at least for a few generations.

BigfishCanada
08-03-2015, 08:26 AM
This is when i start seeing them a lot, then come sept 10 they dissapear. My daughter spotted two nice 4 points in velvet under a tree on the way home and. I didnt believe her so she made me reverse back and cofirm the beauties.

Yep now you see them, next month you wont lol

Muliechaser
08-03-2015, 09:37 AM
That seems weird for you to all say that come september they all vanish .... most years the deer a still in the same pattern untill they get shot at or the increased human presance scares them off .. first day or two for me the deer are usually still in the same habit they were all summer....
Heck i missed the biggest whitey ive ever seen 3 times in a day and a half becuase he kept showing up when i didnt expect him ..gotta get over that buck fever lol .

That being said maybe they start the move when the light hours start to drop in some areas ? So many variables and the number one is us humans . Good luck everybody its commin fast !

HarryToolips
08-03-2015, 10:00 AM
That seems weird for you to all say that come september they all vanish .... most years the deer a still in the same pattern untill they get shot at or the increased human presance scares them off .. first day or two for me the deer are usually still in the same habit they were all summer....
Heck i missed the biggest whitey ive ever seen 3 times in a day and a half becuase he kept showing up when i didnt expect him ..gotta get over that buck fever lol .

That being said maybe they start the move when the light hours start to drop in some areas ? So many variables and the number one is us humans . Good luck everybody its commin fast !
I agree, I think the number one variable that makes em disappear more is us, as come hunting season our traffic, smell in the bush etc plus gunshots greatly increases..

And yes OP, I'm seeing a lot of bucks and fawn recruitment etc this year as well...I think the mild winter helped greatly..My concern is with the drought conditions I'm seeing less berries out there this year, I think the bears will have a tough time, and they will be very desperate and may take out more ungulates..

savagecanuck
08-03-2015, 11:21 AM
I agree, I think the number one variable that makes em disappear more is us, as come hunting season our traffic, smell in the bush etc plus gunshots greatly increases..

And yes OP, I'm seeing a lot of bucks and fawn recruitment etc this year as well...I think the mild winter helped greatly..My concern is with the drought conditions I'm seeing less berries out there this year, I think the bears will have a tough time, and they will be very desperate and may take out more ungulates..
I was camping in Trout lk last weekend and never saw 1 bear which is very unusual as its usually infested with bears.I did see lots of scat and lots of berries.The berries are also early and ripe due to this long hot drought.

Bistchen
08-05-2015, 10:35 AM
As soon as the bucks start losing their velvet they start staying staying in the thick more and are found less in the open meadows. This usually happens beginning of September. Perhaps explaining why they are seen less in September.