PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly

Edge
08-01-2015, 03:23 PM
So as the hunting season approaches and I'm going through my checklists a thought crosses my mind. I'll be bow hunting Sept 1 and that means no rifle. The next thought that crosses my mind is a wondering if Grizz have been a problem to anyone in the last couple of years? Now I know......boogy man stories etc. but really guys. Has anyone had any REAL problems/sightings and 1st person only please....let's keep the "somebody said" down to bare bones please? thanks for the input.

300rum700
08-01-2015, 03:31 PM
Had to fire warning shots last year for the first time ever. Younger bear just being an asshole but still got our attention. This year will be the same or worse, dry year no berries equals hungry bears.

BRrooster
08-01-2015, 04:38 PM
What general area are you going to be hunting in?

FirePower
08-01-2015, 04:51 PM
We had a mature boar grizzly circle us for 3 tense hours we kept a shooter on watch as we processed a moose and loaded it up. We left and seemingly the bear was content with the gut pile as we saw no more of him.

Rackmastr
08-01-2015, 05:16 PM
Yes, there are several real issues with grizzly every hunting season. Different regions have more than others obviously, but they are not just boogeyman stories.

Wrayzer
08-01-2015, 07:09 PM
Take a defender if you are really worried. You'll be alright just be alert. Especially if you have an animal down.

We processed an elk last year with a grizz spotted few hundred yards downwind. Had rifles in arms reach and one guy keeping an eye out.

J_T
08-01-2015, 07:31 PM
We have an occurance every year. Up close and personal. Solution is always straightforward, grizzly or
black, bear spray, air horn, defender. Usually in that order.

Make no mistake about it, you need to be aware of your
surroundings.

Bigbullsh$tter
08-01-2015, 07:57 PM
A log scaler at our sawmill had to dispatch a charging grizzly at muzzle distance last year as he was walking down a fsr on an elk hunt in September. After his initial shot, the bear ran 20 yards down the road, stopped, and started to make a second charge. He put a second bullet into her, and killed her. He showed me the pics of her tracks that tore up the hard gravel surface on her way to take a bite out of his ass........scary. He immediately contacted the CO, and was commended for his quick actions. This was in the WK's.

backcountrybowhunter
08-01-2015, 08:05 PM
Had two of us have to come to full draw with our bows on a grizzly as he stood up on hind legs at 25 yards after tense minutes of yelling and making ourselves very visible to the bear. He did eventually run away luckily been stalked by a few others as well got run out of a basin I was goat hunting in a couple years ago.

Edge
08-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Take a defender if you are really worried. You'll be alright just be alert. Especially if you have an animal down.

We processed an elk last year with a grizz spotted few hundred yards downwind. Had rifles in arms reach and one guy keeping an eye out.

I have a defender but how do CO's view carrying it during bow only season?.....I stand corrected...I can hunt grouse,skunk, and snowshoe hare with shotgun Sept 1-10..I'm covered...

Edge
08-01-2015, 08:17 PM
What general area are you going to be hunting in?

up in the Bull River area of East Koots

Elkchaser
08-01-2015, 09:52 PM
Please don't bow hunt in the EK Rockies without atleast a spray and I'd recommend a defender. Cow calls have brought in cats too. Although happened during rifle season, I wouldn't be typing this if I wasn't on full bear aware mode in 2008 after harvesting a nice bull. Up the white - was reported to CO's if your (or somebody is) wondering. As far as I am aware you are fully in your rights to carry 12 ga and slugs for bear protection with your PAL. Did it at work up north for years with employers knowledge.

Elkchaser
08-01-2015, 10:00 PM
Oh yeah - just recently moved back to EK. If SAR gets called to find you I'll be there. Not a call I enjoy doing - do me a favour, go to the range and practice stand-up shooting a bunch of rapid fire slugs at targets 5-10 metres. You don't need to be 'thinking about it' if ever your unfortunate enough to deal with an extremely close encounter.

Rattler
08-01-2015, 10:39 PM
As others have said you can call in bears and Cougars while bow hunting. Had a sow grizzly come into our elk decoy one year in the EK. I don't go bow hunting without my defender loaded with slugs. I also carry bear mace and a large knife.

Edge
08-02-2015, 07:13 AM
Thanks guys...all is appreciated and I am LISTENING.....I will now take pepper spray & my defender. SLUG SLUG SLUG SLUG SLUG. any comments on taking out the plug?

Elkchaser
08-02-2015, 09:24 AM
As long as your not carrying shot load for birds, only defence rounds, plug can be removed. Just don't forget to replace plug before chasing upland birds or waterfowl.

Edge
08-02-2015, 09:36 AM
As long as your not carrying shot load for birds, only defence rounds, plug can be removed. Just don't forget to replace plug before chasing upland birds or waterfowl.

thanks for that...got a couple 5 paks o' slugs on the shelf and already took out plug. Goin for pepperspray today as a first line of defense

Edge
08-02-2015, 02:37 PM
As a backup a properly loaded Ruger Redhawk 44 mag would be my first choice if allowed.
Saw Randy Garrett a few years ago (South of Seattle) & he highly recommended the 330 gr +P for grizzly protection. More than a handful of grizzlies have been stopped by the aforesaid.

My second choice would be Rossi Ranch Hand(legal in Canada) in 44 mag properly loaded.

3rd a Defender loaded with 3 in. mag. Brenneke slugs.

As for bear spray don’t count on it, I would only use it to ward off a curious bear. It may or may not work. Aerosol can malfunction is fairly common & of course which way is the wind blowing.

DM-Bear spray cannot actually stop a determined bear; a well-placed bullet can.
TM (Alaskan brown bear guide) -Bear spray is the biggest hoax forced on us there ever was ,IT DOES NOT WORK.
Surviving a grizzly charge
http://riverjournal.com/vivvo/outdoors/2321-gunsvsgrizzlies_smith_112011.html

I hear ya on the spray.....I'll give it my buddy who can used it while I'm feedin Mr. Bruin a lead sandwich....lol

IslandBC
08-03-2015, 07:13 PM
if your bringing your buddy you do t need a defender or spray. Just be faster then your bud

604ksmith
08-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Like the OP said: how about keeping things first person knowledge. Does anyone above have first hand experience with bear spray not working?

Drillbit
08-03-2015, 08:13 PM
Had to fire warning shots last year for the first time ever. Younger bear just being an asshole but still got our attention. This year will be the same or worse, dry year no berries equals hungry bears.

Warning shots? You should brush up on the Mozambique drill with your 45-70 :)

cassiarkid
08-03-2015, 09:01 PM
I hate to disagree with some of you guys, but I think there is just as much of a chance of a gun screw up than a bear spray screw up. I'm not just talking mechanical error, also talking human error as well given the circumstances. Plus, it's a lot harder to put in a kill shot at a grizzly charging you at 45kms/hrs then one thinks.
One of the leading experts on bear attacks, James Gary Shelton, has said that there is more of a chance of coming into contact with a charging bear when you are armed with a gun, than when you have bear spray. Meaning statistically speaking, bear spray works better than a gun. His information comes from years of documenting factual bear encounters and attacks from all over North America.
Lots of things to take into consideration, like never test your bear spray, then think it's going to work fine the next time, once it's used its done. Secondly, when it has expired, use it to practise then buy a new one.
When carrying a gun, is it loaded all the time, bolt action vs semi-auto, etc. If shotgun, Slug vs SSG. Then there is reaction time and adrenaline and fear. Lots going on in the seconds you have to react.
I personally carry both. When I hunt alone, I always have one in the pipe with the safety on. When I hunt with a friend, magazine is loaded, not the chamber. I would also shoot first and reach for the spray second if I had the option and the time.

BChunter
08-03-2015, 09:43 PM
We processed an elk in the Kechika surrounded by fresh grizzly rose hip turds two years ago. Before field dressing and de-boning we immediately started a fire and left guns on three corner trees with a chambered round. Stoked up the fire, left for two hours and the remains had not been visited. Just my advise, coast Indians used fires according to Clayton Mack to keep away griz.
I have had Gary Sheldons bear course twice and read his books. He's the man on bears, buy his books, I've read everyone else's and Gary is top drawer info all from experience.

Edge
08-04-2015, 11:58 AM
We always make a fire next to our kills before starting to field dress. Other advantages is that if another hunter sees "something" messin round a kill, he/she will know not to shoot cause of the smoke. I don't know if a substantial fire will be permitted in our forests/mountains this hunting season. I am especially skeptical during bow season Sept 1-Sept 10. my $.02

BRvalley
08-04-2015, 12:25 PM
we shot a moose in 7b last august, it was 30 degrees out and my usual spots were not being productive so we took a drive to find new ground for the next morning, drove into higher elevation, brand new area to me....totally road hunting, came around a bend and saw a moose....when we shot, I wondered why it didn't take off at the sight of us, we were well under 100 yards close to him, and he was 20 yards from an old growth tree line and thick bush to escape too...in hindsight, it was more concerned about something else...upon inspection we saw that somebody had taken 2 head shots at it, one hit the rack and one passed through his snout, just below his eyes

we took pics and had rifles laid against a log near the moose, 1 of us was starting to field dress and 2 of us were looking at where it was bedded down, fair bit of blood from his wounds....that's when we heard the huffing and the heavy beating of paws hitting the ground...look up and there is a very angry grizz about 15 yards away...a shit your pants type of moment lol

told my new hunter buddy to not run, back away together and don't turn our backs...a brief stand off for 5 seconds that felt a lot longer and he back off into the timber....all 3 rifles immediately loaded, used rope, chain and aircraft cable to drag the moose to the trail....built a big fire and ran the truck with headlights...he circled us until midnight when we finished with the moose, could hear him every now and then, 1 person always with rifle in hand....didn't care about grabbing chain and rope at midnight, so when we went back to retrieve that stuff the next day, the gut sack and bones were dragged off the trail and we caught a quick glimpse of him when he took off

not an expert but he looked like a young bear, the bear was obviously on the scent of moose blood and his fresh wounds, we were likely minutes away from seeing a grizz on his own kill...with a mature bear I think we may have had a different outcome

always cautious when camping in bear country, but we let our guard down with the excitement of pictures and my buddy involved on his first moose hunt...lessons learned

Edge
08-04-2015, 12:55 PM
we shot a moose in 7b last august, it was 30 degrees out and my usual spots were not being productive so we took a drive to find new ground for the next morning, drove into higher elevation, brand new area to me....totally road hunting, came around a bend and saw a moose....when we shot, I wondered why it didn't take off at the sight of us, we were well under 100 yards close to him, and he was 20 yards from an old growth tree line and thick bush to escape too...in hindsight, it was more concerned about something else...upon inspection we saw that somebody had taken 2 head shots at it, one hit the rack and one passed through his snout, just below his eyes

we took pics and had rifles laid against a log near the moose, 1 of us was starting to field dress and 2 of us were looking at where it was bedded down, fair bit of blood from his wounds....that's when we heard the huffing and the heavy beating of paws hitting the ground...look up and there is a very angry grizz about 15 yards away...a shit your pants type of moment lol

told my new hunter buddy to not run, back away together and don't turn our backs...a brief stand off for 5 seconds that felt a lot longer and he back off into the timber....all 3 rifles immediately loaded, used rope, chain and aircraft cable to drag the moose to the trail....built a big fire and ran the truck with headlights...he circled us until midnight when we finished with the moose, could hear him every now and then, 1 person always with rifle in hand....didn't care about grabbing chain and rope at midnight, so when we went back to retrieve that stuff the next day, the gut sack and bones were dragged off the trail and we caught a quick glimpse of him when he took off

not an expert but he looked like a young bear, the bear was obviously on the scent of moose blood and his fresh wounds, we were likely minutes away from seeing a grizz on his own kill...with a mature bear I think we may have had a different outcome

always cautious when camping in bear country, but we let our guard down with the excitement of pictures and my buddy involved on his first moose hunt...lessons learned

thanks for that. always a good lesson

j270wsm
08-04-2015, 02:07 PM
Second had story told to me by one of the people involved.

Dan and his friend went up north sheep hunting. On the hike in they spotted a big grizz( Dan figured 8.5'+ ) about 500yds away( down hill, 5-8% slope ). They watched it for a few, then the wind changed directions. ~30 seconds later the bear stands up in his hind legs, looking around like he's testing the scent of something. Dan said the bear dropped onto all 4 and then started walking towards them into a small pocket of alders, 20yds later he came out at full speed headed straight towards them.

When the bear hit 150-200yds they fired the first shot. When it continued coming Dan fired 2 more shots, one caused the bear to stumble, his friend fired one shot then his rifle jammed. Once out of ammo, Dan started grabbing for his bear spray. Dan got the bear spray off his hip and ready to use when the bear was ~ 30-40yds. When the bear stopped he was being sprayed in the face at close to 10yds. After a few moments the bear left only to go 200yds away. Dan re loaded his 338 and helped his friend get his 300wsm un jammed and re loaded. While sitting and trying to calm down they continued watching where the bear was hoping that it was gone. Unfortunately the bear charged again. Dan said he hit it once and it collapsed, rolled and then continued to charge. after emptying both rifles the bear finally left. Dan thinks they hit him 2-3 times during the second charge. And at least 4 times total.

Dan said his friend harassed him the whole drive up north because he was bringing bears spray, but kow he won't go in the bush any more with out bear spray. Dan figured one if not both would have been attacked if he didn't have the bear spray.

BChunter
08-04-2015, 08:55 PM
So I have to assume you contacted a CO about a dead or wounded grizzly left in the area? Other hunters or just locate the bear you probably left for dead! Read about false charges too! Not that I'm brave enough but you may have had options.

cassiarkid
08-04-2015, 09:14 PM
Never once did I express an opinion that spray is "better than a gun". What I did say was that you have a better chance of not coming into contact with a bear when using spray compared to a gun. I just stated a "statistic" from a reliable bear expert. I also said that I personally would use a gun over spray if I had to choose. I think that having both on you is best case scenario. Hope I never have to find out which is better!!

albravo2
08-04-2015, 09:34 PM
So I have to assume you contacted a CO about a dead or wounded grizzly left in the area? Other hunters or just locate the bear you probably left for dead! Read about false charges too! Not that I'm brave enough but you may have had options.

You weren't there.

If I ever shoot a charging bear and someone tells me it was probably just a bluff charge the least I'll do is tell him to go pound sand up a donkey's *ss. A charging bear doesn't give much time for mulling your options or really parsing the bear's behaviour.

And yeah, we all assume he contacted a CO. Why even make that point?

300rum700
08-04-2015, 09:34 PM
Never once did I express an opinion that spray is "better than a gun". What I did say was that you have a better chance of not coming into contact with a bear when using spray compared to a gun. I just stated a "statistic" from a reliable bear expert. I also said that I personally would use a gun over spray if I had to choose. I think that having both on you is best case scenario. Hope I never have to find out which is better!!

Thats probably because people choose a gun over bear spray when there is a greater chance of an encounter.

300rum700
08-04-2015, 09:39 PM
Warning shots? You should brush up on the Mozambique drill with your 45-70 :)

Sometimes warning shots mean a fogged scope haha. 45/70 is gone, it was cute and all but really only good for pop cans.

300rum700
08-04-2015, 09:40 PM

First line of the post says it wasn't him. Second hand info.

aggiehunter
08-04-2015, 10:08 PM
my frying pan collection is riddled with 550 grain craters from the gg....haven't had to use it and hope not too...but grizz are everywhere in the EK and they love to follow you...curious little fellows that's all....

Peter Pepper
08-04-2015, 10:29 PM
We all know bears clean up gut piles and then probably learn to associate hunters/gunshots with easy food. I wonder if we could hose the carcass with bear spray, of chilli flakes or something.
Maybe just in problem areas, or if u know a bear is already watching and waiting to take over your kill/gut pile. I'm sure they don't think we abandon those gut piles willingly, and probably think they pushed us off them.
It's good they clean up and all, but really, we are conditioning them when we let them have these easy meals.
Maybe cover your old spray can with blood and leave in the gut pile? I know peanut butter on bear spray or spray paint can works well for camp raiding bears. Teaches them to leave people alone.
Not doing something to a pushy/aggressive bear is sort off irresponsible. What if a family out hiking runs into it next time? Maybe SSS.

drbb
08-04-2015, 11:43 PM
We all know bears clean up gut piles and then probably learn to associate hunters/gunshots with easy food. I wonder if we could hose the carcass with bear spray, of chilli flakes or something.
Maybe just in problem areas, or if u know a bear is already watching and waiting to take over your kill/gut pile. I'm sure they don't think we abandon those gut piles willingly, and probably think they pushed us off them.
It's good they clean up and all, but really, we are conditioning them when we let them have these easy meals.
Maybe cover your old spray can with blood and leave in the gut pile? I know peanut butter on bear spray or spray paint can works well for camp raiding bears. Teaches them to leave people alone.
Not doing something to a pushy/aggressive bear is sort off irresponsible. What if a family out hiking runs into it next time? Maybe SSS.

Do not use pepper spray to coat objects assuming that would stop a bear. It is pepper; if sprayed on food, it is a spice. If sprayed in the eyes it is a deterrent. In fact, I think there are rumors out there that bears in fact like the flavor of pepper spray.

wideopenthrottle
08-05-2015, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=cassiarkid;1665946]I hate to disagree with some of you guys, but I think there is just as much of a chance of a gun screw up than a bear spray screw up. I'm not just talking mechanical error, also talking human error as well given the circumstances. Plus, it's a lot harder to put in a kill shot at a grizzly charging you at 45kms/hrs then one thinks.
One of the leading experts on bear attacks, James Gary Shelton, has said that there is more of a chance of coming into contact with a charging bear when you are armed with a gun, than when you have bear spray. Meaning statistically speaking, bear spray works better than a gun. His information comes from years of documenting factual bear encounters and attacks from all over North America.
Lots of things to take into consideration, like never test your bear spray, then think it's going to work fine the next time, once it's used its done. Secondly, when it has expired, use it to practise then buy a new one.
When carrying a gun, is it loaded all the time, bolt action vs semi-auto, etc. If shotgun, Slug vs SSG. Then there is reaction time and adrenaline and fear. Lots going on in the seconds you have to react.
I personally carry both. When I hunt alone, I always have one in the pipe with the safety on. When I hunt with a friend, magazine is loaded, not the chamber. I would also shoot first and reach for the spray second if I had the

CRAPOLA!
Gleaned info from Gary Shelton’s (GS) 3 books.
-a person who is proficient with a large calibre rifle or a pump 12-gauge shotgun can reduce the risk of injury or death during a bear attack to about nil.
-I (GS)personally would always choose firearm over spray.
-Pepper spray does not come close to firearms as a defense system
-should be considered as a temporary deterrent(if it works)-so leave immediately
-its delivery is a function of the prevailing wind
-in most cases you would be better off using a spray against a grizzly rather than playing dead
-I(GS) have never sprayed a bear
-statistically speaking of potential success-firearms 95% and playing dead /fight back 45% , spray is right in the middle at 70%
-sprays are not equal to firearms for defence nor do they work in every situation

In a nutshell nothing wrong with carrying bear spray but expect a failure rate of 1 in 3.(not to encouraging is it?)
“Bear spray better than guns” are based on flawed, biased & unscientific studies. BOGUS for short!
http://www.examiner.com/article/bear-deterrence-pepper-spray-or-firearm

thanks for responding to that...sometimes there are ways to use statistics that completely mislead ..this was one of them......it was like saying walking is better than bicycling cuz you have a higher chance of getting a flat tire on a bike....

M.Dean
08-05-2015, 08:02 AM
Fill every pocket you got with 3 inch spiking nails when in Grizz country, No, there not going to save you if your attacked by a Grizz intent on eating you, but at least it'll choke to death well eating you alive! And, above all, wear a Helmet Cam! Leave instructions for your Wife, Kid's or who ever to post the Vid here of you being eaten alive, it'd be a great lesson to all of us "Not to Hunt in Grizzly Country"!!! Have a great trip!!!

mattmckay
08-05-2015, 12:52 PM
Stats are easily manipulated to prove your point. While taking a old life course the instructor gave us some stats on bear kills vs deer kills. His number for bears was 3-4 and deer 345 or so. 3-4 was people killed by bears, on one there was debate on whether it was a scavenge or kill. I asked how many of the deer were vehicle accidents. Most of the deer killing human incidents were car accidents, closely followed by hunting accidents. I asked about the bear stats and was hunting and vehicles included. No. His point was bears aren't as dangerous as people think and he was touting bear spray use over lethal. I pack bear spray at work. When I go into the woods, often alone, I leave the bear spray in the truck. Excess weight, in my opinion, and I have a gun.

Iron Glove
08-05-2015, 12:57 PM
Yes, having taken Statistics in University and working all my life in the Insurance Industry, stats are simply numbers, it's the inferences, right or wrong that one makes with those numbers that are interesting.
I never carry bear or deer spray in my automobiles and have never had an accident with a deer or bear in my auto.
Therefore my stats say that not carrying bear spray prevents such accidents. :roll:

wideopenthrottle
08-05-2015, 01:08 PM
Yes, having taken Statistics in University and working all my life in the Insurance Industry, stats are simply numbers, it's the inferences, right or wrong that one makes with those numbers that are interesting.
I never carry bear or deer spray in my automobiles and have never had an accident with a deer or bear in my auto.
Therefore my stats say that not carrying bear spray prevents such accidents. :roll:
exactly....also reminds me of that skit from sesame street where if I recall correctly bert asks ernie why he has a banana in his ear....ernie responds by saying "it is to keep the elephants away"...bert then says "buuut errrrnie , there are no elephants here" to which ernie replies "see it works keeh hee hee hee heh"
"keeh hee hee hee heh " "keeh hee hee hee heh " "keeh hee hee hee heh " thanks ernie...great insight......heheheheh

Peter Pepper
08-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Do not use pepper spray to coat objects assuming that would stop a bear. It is pepper; if sprayed on food, it is a spice. If sprayed in the eyes it is a deterrent. In fact, I think there are rumors out there that bears in fact like the flavor of pepper spray.

Yes I've heard they check out the smell, but do they like the taste? I doubt it.

Cookie1965
09-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys...all is appreciated and I am LISTENING.....I will now take pepper spray & my defender. SLUG SLUG SLUG SLUG SLUG. any comments on taking out the plug?

You only need the plug in if hunting migratory birds, nothing else. If you never hunt ducks or geese throw it away.

czechsanchez
09-01-2015, 09:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/y2wdNzl.gifv

and remember, a shiny metal shotgun isnt super useful when its 2 chairs over laying on the ground

Busterpayton54
09-01-2015, 11:12 PM
I'm not sure which thread I posted this into but this is the great bear spray is the greatest statistical compilation by Steve herro and the man himself that invented the spray, so im sure it's unbiased.

If if you don't want to read the whole thing or don't have the comprehension to process it I'll break it down. Pardon me if the numbers don't exactly match but this is the basic point...

they compiled 170 or so bear spray deployments. Some were tests, the majority were consumer reports.. Labels on the cans had contact info to report consumer experiences..

In this report you would read that campers sprayed items and camping areas with the intention that It would keep bears away.. Surprising to them it was an attractant, in fact the Bears were noted to lick it off items it was sprayed on.

Since no no one was attacked even an instance of attracting a bear was a positive outcome. Lol.

Theres reports of curious bears being sprayed, just spraying bears to see what they'd do... All this added up to something like 97% success rate..

However, In in fact of this whole statistical compilation only about 9 bears were even aggressive iirc, and 3 still resulted in physical contact.

So so with my logic this should be narrowed down.. 9 agressive bears were sprayed, 3 still resulted in attacks, but none died. unfortunately those numbers arent in the favor of sales.

Personally I feel I have a better than 2 out of 3 chance with a firearm.

Plus us to go along with some of those satirical statistics, I've never been raped by a cheerleading team, so being me is 100% effective at killing my dreams.

hunteryad
09-02-2015, 11:07 AM
I'm heading out soon on my Grizzly hunt, thanks for the nightmares i'll be having now in my truck tent hahaha!

tigrr
10-05-2015, 08:42 PM
This is the local boar.
http://s19.postimg.org/ir32tgvdv/IMG_1364.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/rm3x3zk67/full/)

This is a sow with 1 cub.
http://s19.postimg.org/yena3ew9v/IMG_1373.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/741yvhtcv/full/)

This is the sow with 2 cubs.
http://s19.postimg.org/x0u9lzi77/IMG_1368.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/xdlns60gv/full/)

Presently 7 grizzly in the area. They do come to shots for the gut pile. They can out run a race horse. Be bear aware is all I can say.

REMINGTON JIM
10-05-2015, 09:14 PM
Another grizz attack.
Bow hunter survives grizzly attack while hunting elk last Saturday. Another reason to have a properly loaded revolver within reach whether hunting with a bow or rifle.
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/news/2015/10/04/chase-dellwo-recounts-saturdays-grizzly-attack/73348328/ (http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/news/2015/10/04/chase-dellwo-recounts-saturdays-grizzly-attack/73348328/)

YUP ! Big Bullets DEAD Bears ! why take a chance shoot first ! jmo RJ

wideopenthrottle
10-06-2015, 09:43 AM
but grizz are everywhere in the EK and they love to follow you...curious little fellows that's all....

kinda like whisky jacks that way eh...heheheh

gutpile
10-06-2015, 12:18 PM
Carrying a defender during bow season should be a problem with CO , I would think they understand.

Xenomorph
10-06-2015, 12:42 PM
^yup, shouldn't be a problem. You can carry a defender if camping deep into the boonies, why wouldn't you be allowed to when bow hunting. It's all about lawfully owning, operating your "tool". Meaning, if CO comes and it sits loaded up safety off with children running around and you're nowhere to be found THEN YOU DESERVE WHAT'S COMING TO YOU :)

Edge
10-06-2015, 09:32 PM
Carrying a defender during bow season should be a problem with CO , I would think they understand.

I questioned CO on VI about this and he referred me to Sect 75 of the wildlife act (if I remember the # correctly) you are allowed to defend yourself from wildlife....the protocol is to notify CO asap after encounter and let them know bout shooting...as long as your story is credible & checks out...you won't have a problem..oh & you can take the plug out and load the full 5 or 6..as long as they are slugs or equivalent and not birdshot....

Edge
10-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Another grizz attack.
Bow hunter survives grizzly attack while hunting elk last Saturday. Another reason to have a properly loaded revolver within reach whether hunting with a bow or rifle.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/news/2015/10/04/chase-dellwo-recounts-saturdays-grizzly-attack/73348328/ (http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/news/2015/10/04/chase-dellwo-recounts-saturdays-grizzly-attack/73348328/)

this is the US...we are not allowed handguns in the woods...

Xenomorph
10-06-2015, 11:26 PM
^Harper is going to lose, he just pissed off too many people lately and they'll rally behind the most credible "other" party. Which ****s it up for me because I was planning on being rich and take advantage of all the tax shelters for the rich.

REMINGTON JIM
10-07-2015, 10:22 PM
I'm heading out soon on my Grizzly hunt, thanks for the nightmares i'll be having now in my truck tent hahaha!

A Guy i know was Hunting in the Elk Valley back in the 80 's and he slept in the box of his pickup - a Grizzley ripped the side of the canopy wide open in the night ! it was a Aluminum GEM canopy ! Scared him BADLEY ! RJ

Deer_Slayer
12-06-2015, 12:32 PM
Agree with Elk Chaser. Pack a defender and bear spray. This is "mean" mountain grizz territory. They are miserable and come to the dinner bell ring of a gun shot....or your cow elk chirp!

Deer_Slayer
12-06-2015, 12:36 PM
That's a great pic.

hunter1947
12-07-2015, 04:34 AM
I have had to many grizzly sightings for comfort as for a couple grizzly charges ,,I am scared of grizzlies to no end ,,I try to keep in open country as much as I can this way I can see a bear out at a distance,,I never go anywhere in the woods without my 12 gauge defender 1,1/4 three inch slugs loaded up with 6 rounds I also have a bear banger that I keep handy to get at and an air horn ,big can of bear spray I have all with me when bow hunting ,shed hunting ,when I am summer camping ,checking my trail cams..I hope I never have to use my defender on a Grizzly,,like I said they scare the hell out of me..

wideopenthrottle
12-08-2015, 08:11 AM
I mentioned it on another thread but we had a grizzly in camp almost every night while up on the bull river..he actually came into camp and stole one deer off our meat pole..nearly every night we had to get up and fire a couple shots with the shot gun to scare it off..we set up a trip rope all around the pole tied to a ladder and a 5 gal pail of cans on top to alert us if he came to the meat pole again..we also left a propane light burning all night near the meatpole...more so we could see to shoot than to scare it...

Deer_Slayer
12-20-2015, 01:11 PM
you can carry a firearm anytime in the bush as long as you have your PAL

tuner
12-20-2015, 01:30 PM
you can carry a firearm anytime in the bush as long as you have your PAL
Yup, I was going to suggest " the mares leg" in .44cal, get the side holster,you won't even notice it's there when bow hunting, although it might be a tad underpowered for a charging grizzly.

elknut
12-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Just a thought on warning shots..A friend of mine was goat hunting in the Kootenays ...He dropped his goat and was headed back down to his wife ...She didn't make the final stalk with him on his hunt..She was about 300yds below him ..As he closed the distance 3 grizzlies all about the same size came out from the timber..He rushed down to be closer to her..He was now between the bears and her and she was behind him..The bears slowly kept closing the distance until they were about 100 feet away and then stopped..It was a sow and 2 full grown cubs..He thought I'll fire a warning shot and scare them away..He did and they didn't even flinch..He fired 2 more warning shots and they still didn't back off..For some unknown reason they finally left...Here is my friend with 3 grizzlies and 1 bullet left in the gun...He then started to shake as he realized his folly...I think as he told me later..I will never do that again..I'll draw a imaginary line between me and the bears ..then shoot them if they cross it..She turned out to be a smart momma grizz by leaving...But maybe the next bears would not be..Hope to never have to kill a bear that is charging me ...but will never fire a warning shot ...only a kill shot in my self defense...Dennis

Slinky Pickle
12-20-2015, 03:40 PM
This is my main companion when I'm wandering around outside of hunting season. It might not stop a grizzly but after 6 rounds I can flip it around and try clubbing him to death with it!

http://i64.tinypic.com/28iq6fl.jpg

Weatherby Fan
12-20-2015, 03:53 PM
Any warning shots I fire at a charging Grizzly will be in its forehead......

scotty30-06
12-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Had a big black bear charge me while fly fishing on the Skagit and I had the defender with buck then slug slug slug...he turned after warning shot....but that's also a b bear not a g bear

Xenomorph
12-20-2015, 04:22 PM
Any warning shots I fire at a charging Grizzly will be in its forehead......

Preferably with a 375 or a 30-378 :))

TrickleCharger
12-20-2015, 07:11 PM
Sure hope my wife doesn't stumble across this thread!

I'm in the gun + bear spray camp. Can't say my first instinct is to reach for the spray.

mpotzold
12-20-2015, 08:34 PM
Yup, I was going to suggest " the mares leg" in .44cal, get the side holster,you won't even notice it's there when bow hunting, although it might be a tad underpowered for a charging grizzly.

My understanding is that Rosie Ranch Hand is also known as Mare’s Leg rifle. In US it’s classified as a pistol. Had Harper won I would have ordered a .44 cal Rosie from Reliable.
Don’t trust JT. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a reclassification to restricted.

Underpowered? DEPENDS!

Can a 44 mag stop a grizz? Posted this story before!
…..He was about ten feet away coming up ..that was when I pointed the revolver and fired at center mass. The .44 magnum boomed in the night and the boar fell straight down,his head three feet away from where I stood.
https://thegreatwhitehunter.wordpress.com/the-longest-minute-terrifying-bear-attack/ (https://thegreatwhitehunter.wordpress.com/the-longest-minute-terrifying-bear-attack/)

The 44 mag. bullet that Garret recommended was the 330 gr. hardcast +P for max. penetration. Many of his customers have stopped a grizz with a revolver using the aforesaid.

Also use bear bangers to scare a bear instead of using a precious bullet!

tuner
12-20-2015, 08:45 PM
^^^good to know.

Edge
12-21-2015, 07:33 AM
+ 1....bb's get 1 warning.......GB's get none.....Maverick 88 defender.....slug slug slug slug slug

REMINGTON JIM
12-21-2015, 12:24 PM
Had a big black bear charge me while fly fishing on the Skagit and I had the defender with buck then slug slug slug...he turned after warning shot....but that's also a b bear not a g bear

I fired a warning shot at a Black Bear who charged me - HIT him in the forehead and killed him ! Just unlucky I guess - that is the Bear ! :smile: lol RJ

scotty30-06
12-22-2015, 10:14 PM
Hahahahha I have a lot of practice with it and figure the warning shot was fine.....if it was a GB would have been a different story

Sinperama
12-22-2015, 11:09 PM
I wish I could meet a charging gb.
So I can find out what 10 rounds of nosler .308 from a semi would do.

Bugle M In
12-23-2015, 12:18 AM

You might be in for "big surprise".
Best to avoid a situation where ever possible...although that isn't always the case.

hunter1947
12-23-2015, 06:14 AM
You might be in for "big surprise".
Best to avoid a situation where ever possible...although that isn't always the case.

Believe me its no fun when a Grizzly does a full blown attack on you it's happened to me three times over the past 10 years I agree with Bugle M In try the best you can to avoid a bear conflict really scares the shit out of a person when it happens..
I am alert to no end on my surrounding when I am out in nature all a person can do when he or she is out there hunting is be prepared best you can and always be aware of your surrounding at all times :frown:..

Deer_Slayer
12-26-2015, 10:27 AM
When a bear winds you from that far away and chooses to begin a full out charge, I really doubt it is a bluff. Bears bluff when surprised...not when they wind you from over 200 or more yards. Easy to judge when you're not there. A mature boar grizzly bearing down on you is a life and death situation. Glad they were around to tell the story.

monasheemountainman
12-26-2015, 11:03 AM

where do you get a 10 rd mag for a semi auto in Canada? Perhaps a pistol mag for an xcr or something?

mpotzold
12-26-2015, 12:38 PM
I’ve spent years(since 1965) surveying in the remote Yukon wilderness & northern BC & have always carried a magnum revolver. Although encountering many bears both black & grizz luckily never had to use it.
In the 60’s one of the survey party chiefs killed a grizz with his 44 mag revolver. This was somewhere in the Hudson Hope/Chetwynd area. He was taking a drink from a small creek in the mountains when charged. The bear had no chance.

We’ve been charged by a large grizzly to within about 20 feet of meeting my maker. Once in a live or die situation one’s mental acuity is no doubt amplified. Soiling oneself is an old wife’s tale. There was no way one could use the bear spray in the 4 to 5 seconds. Yelling at the top of our lungs is what saved us. My 375 H&H was about 150 ft away.

Again I’ll stress the point that “Bear spray more effective than guns” is nothing more than liberal anti- gun, anti- hunter propaganda similar to the AGW propaganda they espouse both based on doctored up studies.

Here is a recent(little over a month ago) example where 3 + hunters would have probably been bear scat had they relied on Bear Spray.

A hunter near Gardiner and a group of hunters near West Yellowstone both reported shooting grizzly bears that charged them after bear spray failed to work.
http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/environment/hunters-kill-two-grizzlies-in-self-defense/article_79f49580-20a2-5788-aaf0-eef917238a1e.html (http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/environment/hunters-kill-two-grizzlies-in-self-defense/article_79f49580-20a2-5788-aaf0-eef917238a1e.html)

okas
12-26-2015, 12:43 PM
when you drive the arrow in that gizz run right by as it is fixed in that direction with the blood coming out of it nose and mouth it can not smell you give in one behind the leg and then throw your shorts away :smile:

Sinperama
12-26-2015, 01:08 PM
where do you get a 10 rd mag for a semi auto in Canada? Perhaps a pistol mag for an xcr or something?

You've got that right. Plus I have 2 of them on MagWedge 😊

stoneramhunter
04-26-2024, 08:35 PM
When a bear winds you from that far away and chooses to begin a full out charge, I really doubt it is a bluff. Bears bluff when surprised...not when they wind you from over 200 or more yards. Easy to judge when you're not there. A mature boar grizzly bearing down on you is a life and death situation. Glad they were around to tell the story.

On a few occasions I've had grizzlies come charging full out from across a valley only to veer off when they got closer and spotted me or winded me so not a full out charge. I'm not sure that i would agree a grizz "bluffs when surprised" it depends on the scenario. You come around a corner and surprise a bear on a kill or a sow with cubs the outcome is more likely a charge and attack than a bluff and usually short in duration they are in defend mode and extremely dangerous at that time. Should you come across a lone bear on a trail just walking surprising them then i may agree that a bear more often will most likely turn and depart or bluff and leave. If there is ample escape for a sow and cubs they too will usually retreat.. In any event extra caution is required especially if you surprise them.

.330 Dakota
04-27-2024, 06:45 AM

Theres a little known statistic that says 99% of statistics are made up on the spot

bowhunter61
04-27-2024, 08:00 AM
Last August sheep hunting up the Muskwa I was charged by a sow and 3 two year old cubs.She saw me and charged immediately. I was using two hiking poles my gun on my pack, no bear spray. I would not have had time to get my rifle off my back ,she was about 35 yards.My partner ran up the trail yelling and waving his hiking pole and distracted her, I was on my back by this time,she left me and went for him .His son had bear spray and spayed tha cubs and got the sow in the face at close range and they left.All this happened in about 5 seconds.The bear spray worked. Spent the next 9 days with my rifle in my right hand . I pack a 45/70 when I am bowhunting and I will always have a can of bearspray on my bino harness.
I don’t know if she would have charged if she knew there were 3of us. I came out with out a scratch. Lucky

Redthies
04-27-2024, 09:40 AM
Last August sheep hunting up the Muskwa I was charged by a sow and 3 two year old cubs.She saw me and charged immediately. I was using two hiking poles my gun on my pack, no bear spray. I would not have had time to get my rifle off my back ,she was about 35 yards.My partner ran up the trail yelling and waving his hiking pole and distracted her, I was on my back by this time,she left me and went for him .His son had bear spray and spayed tha cubs and got the sow in the face at close range and they left.All this happened in about 5 seconds.The bear spray worked. Spent the next 9 days with my rifle in my right hand . I pack a 45/70 when I am bowhunting and I will always have a can of bearspray on my bino harness.
I don’t know if she would have charged if she knew there were 3of us. I came out with out a scratch. Lucky

Black or Grizz? I hunt in Grizz country and had a close encounter with two on a kill last fall. I have never strapped my rifle to my pack, and very seldom use a sling. It’s always in my hand if I’m in any kind of bear country. The experience last fall only confirmed my choice. I typically hunt with a lever action, and this year plan to carry my .44 magnum with 16” barrel, as 95% of my shots are 30-50 yards. That’s pretty good bear repellent. It is a Henry, so no manual safety to fuss with. I own bear spray, but seldom bother with carrying it. It’s great on a valley hike with the wife, but if I’m up the hill where the bears/cats are, it’s .44 for me.

decker9
04-27-2024, 01:37 PM
A good packdog, is the best side arm Iv ever had, saved my arse twice while sheep hunting.

A few years back, sitting in sheep camp glassing some rams with my lady, a 6.5 swede between the two of us. This guy/gal wondered into camp. A little to close to fire only a warning shot, swung the phone skope from the rams to the bear and got steady with the rifle. Any step forward it would have got one.

https://youtu.be/8JMZlpotV1s?si=1poOuONZnhbfWZFa

MOOSE MILK
04-27-2024, 03:52 PM
Three young guys take me along, mainly 'caus they know they are much faster.

The jokes on them 'caus they'ed be a slippin' 'n slidden' in my shit.
MM

digger dogger
04-27-2024, 03:55 PM
On a few occasions I've had grizzlies come charging full out from across a valley only to veer off when they got closer and spotted me or winded me so not a full out charge. I'm not sure that i would agree a grizz "bluffs when surprised" it depends on the scenario. You come around a corner and surprise a bear on a kill or a sow with cubs the outcome is more likely a charge and attack than a bluff and usually short in duration they are in defend mode and extremely dangerous at that time. Should you come across a lone bear on a trail just walking surprising them then i may agree that a bear more often will most likely turn and depart or bluff and leave. If there is ample escape for a sow and cubs they too will usually retreat.. In any event extra caution is required especially if you surprise them.

Holy shit, I think srh is Kyle klassen, the king of resurrecting threads 8 yrs and older!
Haha ;-)

stoneramhunter
04-27-2024, 03:57 PM
Holy shit, I think srh is Kyle klassen, the king of resurrecting threads 8 yrs and older!
Haha ;-)

Hey digger brown nosing seems to be contagious

Spy
04-27-2024, 07:54 PM
A good packdog, is the best side arm Iv ever had, saved my arse twice while sheep hunting.

A few years back, sitting in sheep camp glassing some rams with my lady, a 6.5 swede between the two of us. This guy/gal wondered into camp. A little to close to fire only a warning shot, swung the phone skope from the rams to the bear and got steady with the rifle. Any step forward it would have got one.

https://youtu.be/8JMZlpotV1s?si=1poOuONZnhbfWZFa
That’s unnerving glad he got the message, yikes!

RackStar
04-27-2024, 09:01 PM
Excellent footage. That wolf at 450 has to be the best wolf kill recorded

dirtymax
04-28-2024, 08:02 AM
Moose hunting this past season . First 3 days - 3 grizz coming into calls hot - one at 15 yards.. day 4 moose down at dusk and still had to quarter and pack out in the dark. Won’t forget that trip.

decker9
04-28-2024, 08:08 AM
Excellent footage. That wolf at 450 has to be the best wolf kill recorded

My lady tends to be a bit of a sharpshooter…. That was an expensive shot, and a big chunk of wall space in the living room lol.

stoneramhunter
04-28-2024, 08:14 AM
I posted my tip a few years ago thought it might be good to refresh it.

A TIP HUNTING IN GRIZZLY COUNTRY

My first tip has saved me trouble with grizzlies on several occasions over the 50 years I've been hunting in the back country especially where the kill was not readily visible from a distance.

After the kill and if its necessary to go back and get my pack horses or carry out a load of meat backpacking I would always cut a tall branch 8 ft plus the higher the better or I use my walking sticks put together with ribbon or plastic bag on it and stick it upright in the meat . When I return i'm cautious and look for the stick and if its moving or down which you can see from a distance be aware it's very likely a bear is on the kill. I have come back on kills that had a grizzly on the meat and it saved me from a unnecessary encounter. One of my hunting partners 25years ago could of used that advice .He had shot a moose at kluchesi lake and while dressing it out he heard a elk bugle went after it with no luck when he returned to his moose he surprised a grizzly on it . He managed to get a shot into the charging bear hitting it. The bear stumbled but carried on with the attack. He unfortunately didn't pull the bolt all the way back and loaded the empty shell back in the chamber. He waited the bear circled him and charged again . When the bear was a few feet away he pulled the trigger click nothing. The bear severely mauled him and he lost consciousness . When he awoke the bear was dead on top of him bled out from the first shot. His buddy found him shortly thereafter and packed him back to Kluchesis lake and fortunate for him a doctor was at the lake about to go out on a guided hunt.He basically saved his life as he had lost a lot of blood. They transported him to the hospital by helicopter.
So back to my Tip what happened to my friend happened in seconds if he had a stick and ribbon in the moose he would of seen it swaying or down and he could of avoided being mauled. Next time you approach and you may or may not have limited visibility to your kill this tip might help. .

MRP
04-28-2024, 08:15 AM
Moose hunting this past season . First 3 days - 3 grizz coming into calls hot - one at 15 yards.. day 4 moose down at dusk and still had to quarter and pack out in the dark. Won’t forget that trip.

I've had lots of things come and check out my calling, last year was the first grizzly (that I've seen?) he was in sad shape for a fall bear.