PDA

View Full Version : Basic Target Question

loki
04-24-2007, 03:18 AM
I've noticed that a lot of bow people have two bows, one for hunting, one for target archery. I will be getting myself a hunting bow and practicing entirely with that, so I see no reason not to bring it to any target or 3d competitions I would enter.

So now I ask; are there limitations that make hunting bows not legal in competion?

Bigbear
04-24-2007, 05:52 AM
About the only thing I can think of is Broadheads, There is some Trad shoots that require Brheads.

bochunk2000
04-24-2007, 06:54 AM
I only have one bow. I take it to 3d's all the time. I the the majority do that. I like to practice with what I'm going to use.
Steve.

swamper
04-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Absolutely nothing wrong with shooting your hunting bow for 3-D. I know there are some restrictions as to speed and arrow weight. I think that you ar not allowed to go faster than 280 feet per second unless your arrows meet the minimum of 5 grains per pound of draw. I'm sure that Willy will be able to answer this question. He is up on all the regs.
As for having 2 different bows, some of us just can't resist buying a second bow and using 3-D as an excuse, just ask Willy. Thankfully he has a very understanding wife, not to mention that she suffers from the same affliction.

Bow Walker
04-24-2007, 08:52 AM
I've noticed that a lot of bow people have two bows, one for hunting, one for target archery. I will be getting myself a hunting bow and practicing entirely with that, so I see no reason not to bring it to any target or 3d competitions I would enter.

So now I ask; are there limitations that make hunting bows not legal in competion?
Basic answer - no. Like most on here, I have A bow. I take it hunting, I take it target practising, I take it to the 3D shoots. If you hunt with a bow it makes sense to practice with that very same bow.

http://www.ibo.net/ Here is the link to the IBO site. If it is sanctioned shoot or a qualifying shoot most likely they will enforce the rules. If it is just a Sunday club shoot they don't really pay a lot of attention to equipment. Just make sure you are in the right "class" and everything will be OK.

BowSitter
04-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Anything that will fling an arrow is just fine!! Just have fun!