PDA

View Full Version : Moose hunt in Ft St James area

New Bow Hunter
07-31-2015, 08:44 PM
Life has finally come to fruition. I am eligible for a Calf Moose hunt as a senior in the Ft. St. James area this year. the plan is to head up a couple of days before opening day and scope out some areas. If I/we are lucky enough we may bag a Spike-fork bull.

I am interested in any further info any one in the area would like to pass on.

tikkatac
07-31-2015, 11:09 PM
I really don't think the OP was asking if anyone thought it was right or not. He was asking if anyone could help him out with information on the area. 3 posts and none have anything to do with what he needs.??? perplexing to me....

As for the OP, fire me a PM and I can likely point you in the right direction.

rgn5hunt
08-01-2015, 01:11 AM
Life has finally come to fruition. I am eligible for a Calf Moose hunt as a senior in the Ft. St. James area this year. the plan is to head up a couple of days before opening day and scope out some areas. If I/we are lucky enough we may bag a Spike-fork bull.

I am interested in any further info any one in the area would like to pass on.
I hope you find a tender spike or calf. The young ones suffer high mortality to predator s.

Sitkaspruce
08-01-2015, 07:52 PM
Such typical HBC responses......not answering what the OP was asking, but a chance to get up their soap box and scream about what they don't agree with in BC.......

Typical arm chair Biologists......

NBH, give me a PM and I will give you some info, lived there for 15 years.

Cheers

SS

butcher
08-01-2015, 07:54 PM
I knew you'd step up Ken

BTF
08-01-2015, 08:00 PM
I have hunted that region and agree it seems to be on decline with moose populations and wolf populations on the rise.

I remember at a wild life meeting over mule deer populations in the 90's a speaker said if they get rid of doe draws/hunts they are very hard to reinstate, so they like to keep them even at a minimum as they are valuable for management when needed.

To answer butchers question, my advice is to go where there is no wolf activity, ie if you see or hear wolves move on or wait till they do. the game will come out of the wood work once the wolves move on. other than that I don't know the area good enough to pin point any hot spots.

good luck with your hunt, it is beautiful country. Get out there and enjoy it!

BTF
08-01-2015, 08:02 PM
Oops I ment to that was to answer new bow hunters question.

takla1
08-02-2015, 04:56 PM
I know 7-27 /7-28 well.In 20 yrs off hunting that area with bull draws and having success most yrs we never realy see many cows and even less cow/calf pairs.They stay in the thick stuff until later in the season,when is your draw for?

two-feet
08-03-2015, 07:33 AM
Wolves in an area does not imply no moose. One of the areas that I frequent has plenty of both, all year. And it has been like this for the last 25 years

takla1
08-03-2015, 12:12 PM
Wolves in an area does not imply no moose. One of the areas that I frequent has plenty of both, all year. And it has been like this for the last 25 years

Agreed,many times we have strung up our quarters on the meat pole to have wolves come in at night leaving their tracks in the snow to pull the hide and trimmings off into the bush.

604ksmith
08-03-2015, 05:01 PM
All I know is that I've consistently seen both Moose and Wolves in nearly every part of 7A and 7B in the last year and a bit that I've lived in the PG area.

I'm not a biologist, nor do I know what the "good old days" we're like, but I consider it a bad day if I don't see at least one Moose everytime I go into the bush. This makes me believe they're still around and in decent numbers. Maybe not hunter preferred numbers, but maybe biologist exceptable numbers. Even with a 50% decline.

I drew a cow/calve tag for 7-16B, an area I consistently see both Moose and Wolves. If I have the chance I fully intend to harvest a calf and feel completely fine about doing so.

That being said, I appreciate the posters above taking a conservative approach and voicing their concerns. I personally just don't see it being that way.

To the OP: I've heard good things about the overall area, but in particularChuchi Lake, however I'm not sure what roads you need to get there.

Gateholio
08-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Thanks to te members that have offered advice. To the ones that want to debate hunting seasons in BC, please start your own thread, don't post on this one. ......Unless you want a HBC vacation, that is.

BChunter
08-03-2015, 09:32 PM
I have been west of Ft St James since May on Cunningham Road regularily. Road is 70 Km's of good moose country out to the Yakoochi First Nations settlement. Road is two wheel drive until snow flies or bring chains for off road mud or better, a quad.
Moose scene regularly and lots of partially grown logged areas still with good vis. End of Sept and learn to cow call. Nice camp sites, some lakes, fishing, etc. Just start by looking for tracks, you will be in luck eventually if you find hoof prints. Good hunting bro! Or send me a PM.

wsm
08-04-2015, 09:38 PM
I don't know what region your looking into but there are a number of moose around great beaver lake . I would start there

hunter fisher
08-05-2015, 10:53 AM
Had a 7-26 draw last year for any bull. went there with a couple buddies. pretty slow. camped at Kloch Lake. we were there for 7 days, saw a couple cows, saw a spike fork after legal light. never heard any wolves or saw any calves. saw a few black bears as well. pretty busy from sept.27 on. good luck!

oh yea, and got hassled by FN whom accused me of hunting grouse with my 300wsm.... dont pay them any mind, they are most likely losers

08-05-2015, 12:06 PM
you are aloud to shoot grouse with your WSM.......

wideopenthrottle
08-05-2015, 12:15 PM
Had a 7-26 draw last year for any bull. went there with a couple buddies. pretty slow. camped at Kloch Lake. we were there for 7 days, saw a couple cows, saw a spike fork after legal light. never heard any wolves or saw any calves. saw a few black bears as well. pretty busy from sept.27 on. good luck!

oh yea, and got hassled by FN whom accused me of hunting grouse with my 300wsm.... dont pay them any mind, they are most likely losers

huh...why would they care about grouse when you are obviously hunting bigger game?

hunter fisher
08-06-2015, 09:27 AM
i dont know man, just idiots trying to hassle me because im a white guy hunting on there territory. its the only negative encounter ive had!

BRvalley
08-06-2015, 11:21 AM

I've shot a grouse with my 300wsm, the last thing you want is an injured grouse charging you in thick bush,I like to anchor them through the breasts and then follow up with a head shot

hunter fisher
08-07-2015, 10:20 AM
you can never be to careful. i like to carry grouse pepper spray on my belt too, god forbid my gun jams

popeye
08-07-2015, 12:29 PM
Whenever I went camping with my dad as a kid, he always had a black bear licence. Always had a rifle when in the bush.