PDA

View Full Version : CO questions

blackford
07-30-2015, 10:13 AM
So here is the deal. A buddy of mine just started hunting and got a leh. He has questions about where the area starts and stops as some of it is bow only. we have called the CO line asking for help and maps and have now waited 2 weeks. no answer...

so my question is .... given that these people are funded by yours and my money... how the hell do we get a hold of them.

I find it weird that we have these regulations that we must abide by but when you need to ask a question they are nowhere to be found....

simply put ... I am frusterated

Stinger 83
07-30-2015, 10:16 AM
Did you try loading layers on Google earth from iMapBC Layers

http://www.data.gov.bc.ca/dbc/geographic/view_and_analyze/imapbc/index.page

Let me know if you need help; send private message of area in question and I can send a screenshot of what I can find from available info. Service BC office locations should be able to help in person as well.

Cheers

Gateholio
07-30-2015, 10:21 AM
CO's local to the area can often offer advice but they are not tour guides or map dealers, do no surprise you aren't getting a good response :)

Stinger83 seems to have a good idea.

russm
07-30-2015, 10:49 AM
It's probably better that they're not sitting in an office holding down a chair anyway....

GotaGun
07-30-2015, 11:00 AM
It will all be in your regs / synopsis. ☺

wideopenthrottle
07-30-2015, 11:06 AM
I am glad you DID NOT say "clearly spelled out" in your regs/synopsis...heheheh

Steve W
07-30-2015, 11:08 AM
So here is the deal. A buddy of mine just started hunting and got a leh. He has questions about where the area starts and stops as some of it is bow only. we have called the CO line asking for help and maps and have now waited 2 weeks. no answer...

so my question is .... given that these people are funded by yours and my money... how the hell do we get a hold of them.

I find it weird that we have these regulations that we must abide by but when you need to ask a question they are nowhere to be found....

simply put ... I am frusterated

Try calling you FLNR office and ask to speak to the biologist/wildlife technician in the area where the LEH is. They generally field most of these questions as they are the ones who set the seasons and the boundaries. No guarantee you still won't frustrated, but at least it's another avenue to pursue.

GotaGun
07-30-2015, 11:21 AM
I am glad you DID NOT say "clearly spelled out" in your regs/synopsis...heheheh
It has days/region/animal/any restrictions
and a map of the regions.
so Ya not clearly spelled out

wideopenthrottle
07-30-2015, 11:24 AM
It has days/region/animal/any restrictions
and a map of the regions.
so Ya not clearly spelled out

touché....heheheh

07-30-2015, 11:35 AM
black ford,
if you go online to BC LEH there is a place where you can get a more accurate map of the specific region
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/leh.html

"View limited entry hunting zone maps"
click on this link and you'll be one step closer
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/leh_maps.html

Andrewh
07-30-2015, 11:35 AM
have you looked at your LEH area map online?

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/leh_maps.html

07-30-2015, 11:36 AM
beat ya in seconds!

MichelD
07-30-2015, 11:39 AM
Our advice will obviously not be the complete legal answer, but ask here, somebody might have been there before.

I know we had a heckuva time staying in my buddy's LEH zone on the Island last year because the location of the edge of the zone was difficult to discern. One thing we noticed though; and that was that the elk were clearly outside the LEH zone.

07-30-2015, 11:50 AM
Sometimes you can used the maps from the link Andrew and myself provided, bring up Google earth in a seporate window and follow the line.... it can be hard but i do it for Elk Zones here on the island... im very sure there is a way faster way using one of them layering programs but i just have never had the luck running them

itsy bitsy xj
07-30-2015, 01:01 PM

BAD attitude have you tried that line on a cop too?

HarryToolips
07-30-2015, 01:13 PM
What he said...

wideopenthrottle
07-30-2015, 01:24 PM
back when WT was leh, I used to really like white tail hunting in between the two kettle rivers cuz there is a mu zone line in there that was hard to determine so peeps seemed to avoid it for their leh..often if it is not a river/lake, power line or road, the border will be the height of land.... so when you walk the ridge top you are on the border line... in the kettle area you had to access the one mu by driving through the other so it was often skipped over for an area where the zones are/were clearer to all...

blackford
07-30-2015, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all the help guys.

I was not looking for a tour guide... what I was looking for was some help. Thanks to those who helped. I had no idea where to find those maps. they will work.

07-30-2015, 02:21 PM
Black ford,, my link is the most "easy" way to get a defined boundary....
did ya look?

bandit
07-30-2015, 06:39 PM
If you leave a message with the CO asking for hunting tips then they probably won't call back.

If You leave a more ambiguous message they may return your call.

Sofa King
07-30-2015, 06:46 PM
BAD attitude have you tried that line on a cop too?

how's that a "bad attitude"?
it was a perfectly legit question.

and it's frustrating when you see infractions happening out there and can never contact a CO.
how are the baddies supposed to be caught when nobody is available to react?
it can get frustrating to where one doesn't even want to call anymore.

Gateholio
07-30-2015, 06:57 PM
how's that a "bad attitude"?
it was a perfectly legit question.

and it's frustrating when you see infractions happening out there and can never contact a CO.
how are the baddies supposed to be caught when nobody is available to react?
it can get frustrating to where one doesn't even want to call anymore.

This thread isn't about reporting offenders.

Sofa King
07-30-2015, 07:04 PM
This thread isn't about reporting offenders.

agree.
it was about frustration at being unable to contact CO's.
I simply added my similar experiences with difficulty contacting them.

blackford
08-03-2015, 10:34 PM
ok honestly I am stumped.

we are looking at area 2-12 a. one part of it has a bow only and shot only and the other one is rifle. I for the life of me cant find anything that shows where this will. will the hunt buddy app show it

moosecamp
08-03-2015, 10:38 PM
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/leh_maps/elk_2-12_a.pdf

IslandBC
08-03-2015, 10:52 PM
Wouldn't that map be in the LEH draw paper?

blackford
08-03-2015, 11:22 PM
It is but not 100 percent clear and dosent show bow only

hunter1947
08-04-2015, 05:03 AM
The Co don't fit into this category you will have to get ahold of a biologist for your needs..

hunter1947
08-04-2015, 05:06 AM
The area zone your son got picked for its easy to see where your boundary is if you get some good land maps of the area and compare them to to LEH maps for your zone..

ruger#1
08-04-2015, 05:24 AM
BC map books will show the zones better. See if you can find one at the library to look at.