PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Questions

stro52
07-28-2015, 06:39 PM
Hey guys I have a couple of questions that maybe some of you vets can answer. The first is regarding google earth, I have been scouring areas around boston bar, merrit, and princeton and after awhile I just end up getting cross eyed haha. On the screen it all starts kind of looking the same, so what do you guys look for on google earth when looking for new spots to try out? Oh I should indicate I am after deer. I know to look for open areas (cuts, fields etc.) and also for water sources but if there's anything else I'm all ears.

Second question is in regards to vehicle access. I am going to be limited this year to my 2wd car, not ideal I know but that's what I got. I have been on the government sites looking for some kind of directory maybe that could possibly have a list of fsr's that could be driven on with a 2wd car. My question is does something like that exist? Thanks for looking.

Wick
07-28-2015, 06:58 PM
2wd drive will be fine for many FSRs in the Princeton Merritt area early in this season. I know some of the main FSRs around Boston Bar would be fine too, but those may not get you into productive areas without going for hike.....and there's nothing wrong with that. If this weather ever begins to cool down and drop some precipitation, more of the secondary FSRs will become rutted with mud holes that will suck you in. If your plan was to stay in the car as much as possible to get to know the high country, you should plan a hunt earlier in the season. As far as areas to look for, it depends on how you want to hunt your deer. If you want to get out and sit on cut blocks, you are doing the right thing by looking at googlemaps for a general idea, but you will only know once you get there and look a few....and you will really really only know once your prized muley bounces out into the clear 100 yards from you. For your first hunt, you may be better served finding a couple of areas with lots of FSRs and checking them out for suitability to you car, then do a mix of road hunting and parking and walking areas.

Good luck,

Wick

.264winmag
07-28-2015, 07:05 PM
Backroads map book, they'll usually indicate if it's a 4x4 road. Be surprised where a front wheel drive will go on most forestry roads:). I like to get close to old burns and Christmas tree size overgrown cutblocks with old growth timber above. Cruise the edge of cutblocks for sign and find them bucks in the old growth. Old burns usually have good grub for ungulates. Also seems best if there's a creek draw a reasonable distance away. Early season google where a fsr might get you closest to the alpine, hike the rest of the way. You'll likely do better than guys with jacked up 4x4's and quads that just rip around on the roads...

Ferenc
07-28-2015, 07:26 PM
Look for islands of trees between cuts...especially Boston Bar when using google earth try to find a slope that has a cut above and below a section of uncut trees..they hold the deer. : )

M.Dean
07-28-2015, 07:52 PM
Where ever you go with your 2WD, know when to stop, then get out and walk up the road to see whats around that next bend. I used to get my car stuck lots, and mainly because of deep rut's in the road that I figgered I could straddle, but the farther I went, the worse it got! Then, when the wheels did fall into the 2 foot deep ruts, I either started digging the mud out, or walking out! Did that quite a few times until I finally got a 4 WD! A smart man would take a small "Metal" shovel, a decent tow rope, incase a truck shows up and he doesn't have one, a good Jack, water, food and a big can of mosquito spray! Doesn't hurt on your way into a area to check your Cell Phone every now and again to see there it works, this way if your good and stuck, you know where to head when you start hiking out in the dark! And take a good camera, we want pictures to go along with your big buck story! And good luck out there!

stro52
07-28-2015, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Plan was to hike more or equal to how far I could make it in the car but sounds like it will go farther than I thought! Guess its just time to get out there and scout around

kebes
07-28-2015, 08:05 PM
Don't forget a tarp for your trunk :D

albravo2
07-28-2015, 08:19 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Plan was to hike more or equal to how far I could make it in the car but sounds like it will go farther than I thought! Guess its just time to get out there and scout around

Exactly this! Just get out and get scouting. You'll be amazed how much great territory this province holds.

PM sent with another idea.

hunter1947
07-29-2015, 03:11 AM
First question... Google earth is my buddy I look all the time for possible shed hunting areas and places to hunt I look for water ponds ,creeks ,bluffs and open areas and timber that has lots of openings then hit the spot and look..

Second question...Yes there are many FSR that are passable in a car in the early fall months but don't travel on these roads latter on you might get a bad snow storm get into an area that you want to scout park the car and put leather on the hills,,good luck this fall :smile:.

FourOhs
07-29-2015, 08:40 AM
As another rookie hunter, I like everything about this thread: good questions, and good answers. Subscribed!

270ruger
07-29-2015, 04:52 PM
Get yourself a tirfor and about 100' of cable doesn't take up much room and you can pull yourself forward or back and if you upgrade to a 4x4 no need for a winch,I would also recommend good quality sleeping bag for those nights when you might get really stuck,lots of roads are good until around thanksgiving time.