PDA

View Full Version : "Big" Bear

MB_Boy
04-23-2007, 12:41 PM
I was just going through some pics and I know there was talk of this bear some time back. This was hit by a small car not too far north of Winnipeg a few years ago. Not the greatest picture but it is a "pic of a pic". Not sure who did it up for my Dad but just thought I would share it. Just as a reference my Dad is almost 6'6".

Ignore the "graphics added to the pic"....:smile:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_0496.JPG

Elkhound
04-23-2007, 12:52 PM
very cool Scott thanks. Is that the correct weight though?

MB_Boy
04-23-2007, 12:56 PM
It was an "estimated" weight as it wasn't weighed until a few days after it had been hit. Nothing "official" about that weight but I think that had to take a few things into consideration in the time it took them to weigh it from it's live weight to it's "plowed into by a sub-compact car" weight. (blood loss etc) Plus I believe it was weighed on the trailer at a weigh station but don't quote me on that one.

My Dad is the biologist :wink: .....but that is basically the esitmated live weight.

Mattimoose
04-23-2007, 01:05 PM
They hit one in Kapuskasing Ont. a few years back that was 711lbs. by the MNR's scales. He is a fat bugger though, but I saw a 500lb Polar Bear shot in James bay that was 10' 2" long from toenail to toenail by my tape. This guy looks pretty chubby but I don't know. Looks like 588 to me.

000buck
04-23-2007, 01:34 PM
wieght is correct at least as far as the records show it was hit in manitoba and was very fat.

Dale
04-23-2007, 01:41 PM
that is my home town. Lac du Bonnet, MB. I seen that bear with my own eyes. that picture was taken just outside the Manitoba Conservation Eastern Regional Office. he was obese. after they performed a necropsy on him his skull was that of a average to large boar but his body fat percentage was over the top. he was a nasty garbage bear. the weight is real and trust me up close that thing was like three 45 gallon drums around. huge and stunk like *$%t!! it was hit just outside of Pinefalls, MB. pretty cool to see. funny thing to is that tree behind the bear is no longer there, one of the CO's hit it with his truck and it died and we cut it down.

LeverActionJunkie
04-23-2007, 07:42 PM
official or not that is a damn big Yogi:)

houndogger
04-23-2007, 08:20 PM
I remember that one. Did anyone ever get a skull measurement on it?

doubled
09-12-2008, 05:43 AM
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/doubled66/Copyofgoodone.jpg

Here is a "Big" Bear from a couple years back in the Okanagan.