PDA

View Full Version : When is the mule deer rut

rides bike to work
07-27-2015, 12:41 PM
When is the peak of the mule deer rut. When are the big boys mounting up. Last week of October nov 13. Would like to here everyone's experience with the rut.

Fred1
07-27-2015, 12:49 PM
Mid November...

Seeker
07-27-2015, 12:53 PM
^^^ what he said, bucks will begin swelling up and moving end of Oct, but full swing in Mid Nov in the interior, winds down early Dec.

bassplayer
07-27-2015, 12:54 PM
I've taken most of my big muley rut bucks in the first week of November and they had their does with them. Got my 2013 big muley buck on Oct 30th. He had 4 does with him. My big muley buck in 2014 i got on November 7th. He had about 6 does with him.

Oct 30th 2013

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr171/bassplayer1972/DSC06705_zpswmiunomp.jpg

November 7th 2014

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr171/bassplayer1972/1499487_10152798793935446_8749944576641575906_n_zp sna5wrypt.jpg

Brian011
07-27-2015, 01:10 PM
Anywhere from the end of October into the first week of December. Every buck may vary, some may start earlier than others. Mid November to the end of November has always been good to me

sarg
07-27-2015, 01:11 PM
Nov 11-31 :)

bassplayer
07-27-2015, 01:17 PM
Rifle season for muley in region 8 ends on Nov 10th and remains closed till Nov 25th when it opens for bow.

curt
07-27-2015, 07:17 PM
Yup good reason for that closeure thats for sure!!

TARCHER
07-27-2015, 07:21 PM
Up here in PG mid to Nov 20th is a good bet

Boner
07-27-2015, 07:34 PM
I got my region 3 buck last year on October 27. Still had a skinny neck on him, but he was a shooter. He's at the taxidermist right now. Hopefully that plays out without a hiccup...

Gr8 white hunter
07-27-2015, 07:39 PM
Mmmmm rut Buck :sad:.

358mag
07-27-2015, 07:40 PM
Ask Dana ....:???:

moosinaround
07-27-2015, 07:44 PM
I shot my buck last year on October 30, he was with 7 does. His neck wasn't overly swollen and he was t "scented". The buck my buddy shot the next day was with over 10 does, he was "heavily scented" and had a huge neck! Moosin

aggiehunter
07-27-2015, 10:17 PM
Curt...yup..bio figured there wasn't enough mulie bucks to go around for the bowhunters during the rut...

.300WSMImpact!
07-27-2015, 10:57 PM
when the does are ready, not up to the bucks, if a doe goes into heat then a buck will bread her, the majority of does go into estrous within 7 days of each other, my guess or presumption is november 15-22 that would be peak rut, but there will be does to bread before and after

jacksondog
07-28-2015, 05:56 AM
Watched a Mule Deer doe give birth this year on June-12th. Internet net has a wide variety of gestation dates from 195 to 212 days, splitting the difference puts her breeding date around Nov-22nd.

curt
07-28-2015, 06:02 AM
Nov 26th I see the most insane rutting in princeton ever!

M.Dean
07-28-2015, 07:44 AM
Take a look in the B.C. record book, I think you'll find around November 11th seems to be the time when more big bucks hit the ground. But everyone's different, as we can see, some guys have shot big bucks in mid October, and some in the first week of December. So, if I had to book holidays, if I had a job, I'd go for the last week of October or the first week of November, but being's I don't got no job, I start hunting September 10th and don't shut it down until first week of December! I seen a deer rack at this guys place up here years ago, it was second or third day of hunting season, Sept. 12 or close to it, it was hotter than hell out, and this guy that's only hunted a few times in his life hammered one of the biggest bucks I've seen! He'd taken the buck to his Dad's place to hang it, and when I talked to the Dad about a week later, I asked what the kid did with the horn's, his reply to me was, I took them out back and threw them over the big bank cuz they smelled real bad! That kid should have been beat'in with a fence post for that one!!!

Bugle M In
07-28-2015, 01:39 PM
This is always a thread that starts great debate.
I agree, that any where from very early Nov, to late Nov is when most bucks hit the ground.
And many will say this week or that week.......
It varies, and many here are stating what their experiences are....as it should be.
For me, where I hunt in Reg 3, its seems that the peak is somewhere in the 3rd to 4th week of Nov, the height of it anyways.
But, I also know that the bucks higher up seem to be dropping quite often in the 1st week of Nov, or very late Oct.
Also, just because 1 year you might see a lot of deer during the rut, the next year they may have move elsewhere....not far, but still somewhere else than you thought.
Each region and units can vary, especially when you read all the posts, but for the most part, it only varies by a week or 2 in general.
Just try to leave your calendar open for the month of November.
Cheers

aggiehunter
07-28-2015, 09:38 PM
I sincerely hope the rifle hunters enjoy and cherish what they have here in BC as far as extended and super long rifle seasons....especially during the rut...

180grainer
07-28-2015, 10:13 PM
When is the peak of the mule deer rut. When are the big boys mounting up. Last week of October nov 13. Would like to here everyone's experience with the rut.
I think its around June the 3rd. But others will know better than me.

hunter1947
07-29-2015, 03:03 AM
Mid Nov is when it gets going..

Foxton Gundogs
07-31-2015, 08:16 AM
Mid Nov is when it gets going..

I agree for the most part but other factors will enter in such as weather, location, moon phase etc. The biggest buck I have ever shot a huge non typical, I took the last week of Oct. and he was chasing does so maybe only the deer really know lol.

M.Dean
07-31-2015, 08:33 AM
I'm pretty sure animals go into rut darn near the same time every year, what start's the rut is the amount of light in each day, it's called "Photosynthesis". Thank God for "spell check" for that word!!! The amount of light in each day affects everything on earth, it's kind'a like natures "Clock", so to speak. And the reason the rut happens the same time every year is so the new Born's aren't getting dropped in 4 feet of snow or minus 20 type weather. Ask any farmer, rancher with a alpha field what happens when there bailing hay the first week or so of June, if there not real careful there broke down baler has a fawn stuck inside! Up here my friend has taken lots and lots of fawns that are hiding in the fields and put's them in the brush on the side of the field, being real careful not to get any human scent on the fawn. That's what protects them from coyotes, they don't smell at all for the first week or two when there born, so a coyote has to dam near trip over the fawn before it see's it. Anyways, that's the way I heard about the rut, so it got's too be true!!!

wideopenthrottle
07-31-2015, 08:39 AM
I'm pretty sure animals go into rut darn near the same time every year, what start's the rut is the amount of light in each day, it's called "Photosynthesis". Thank God for "spell check" for that word!!! The amount of light in each day affects everything on earth, it's kind'a like natures "Clock", so to speak. And the reason the rut happens the same time every year is so the new Born's aren't getting dropped in 4 feet of snow or minus 20 type weather. Ask any farmer, rancher with a alpha field what happens when there bailing hay the first week or so of June, if there not real careful there broke down baler has a fawn stuck inside! Up here my friend has taken lots and lots of fawns that are hiding in the fields and put's them in the brush on the side of the field, being real careful not to get any human scent on the fawn. That's what protects them from coyotes, they don't smell at all for the first week or two when there born, so a coyote has to dam near trip over the fawn before it see's it. Anyways, that's the way I heard about the rut, so it got's too be true!!!

sorry to be picky but photosynthesis is what green plants do with sunlight to produce food...photoperiod is the word you were looking for :)

M.Dean
08-01-2015, 03:58 PM
sorry to be picky but photosynthesis is what green plants do with sunlight to produce food...photoperiod is the word you were looking for :) It took me about 5 try's to get "Spell Check" to finally pick the word I wanted, and it was the wrong one? Well, there go's my 15 minutes of Fame,all because of one darn Word!!! Well, thanks for lett'in me know I was wrong, again, I guess!

:razz: