PDA

View Full Version : cape caution

charlie_horse
07-26-2015, 06:23 PM
Been in hardy for the last couple days fishing out of sutil and past there. Springs seem slower than normal right now and was wondering if it's worth burning the extra fuel to get up to cape caution and slingsby area.

We've been running chovies, was going to send down some of iron noggin needle fish tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone has luck with tomic plugs and how they run them...I put them down for a bit lose confidence and take em off.

srupp
07-26-2015, 07:00 PM
Good luck..
Steven

charlie_horse
07-26-2015, 07:15 PM
Thanks Steven

bang flop
07-27-2015, 10:44 PM
PM me. I live there.

Can't go wrong with chovie. The bar/bird land should produce a few fish. Fishing has been good locally at Duval, Daphnie, Gordon and Castle. Lots of guides staying close to home to save fuel.

Slingsby will produce big fish. Seals are a bugger there though.

bang flop
07-27-2015, 10:48 PM
And it's further to the bar than it is to slingsby

charlie_horse
07-28-2015, 05:04 AM
We killed it at cape caution yesterday, no guides made it that far but we're with the duncanby boys. A lot of air highfives. hardy guides stayed at slingsby. Anchovies and water melon spoons. Even the fish out there were still pretty small out there. 10-20lbs but the fights are a lot of fun. Fuel coat was definitely worth it yesterday, now we're just hoping a run of some bigger fish come down.

We suck at halibut fishing so I think the plan today is to send a pink to the bottom and go for a nap haha

Sitkaspruce
07-28-2015, 09:28 PM
We just came back from Hardy. Limits of coho, springs, hali and ling for 4 guys. Coho were to 11 lbs, spring were smaller than usual, biggest was 26, but lots of good eaters between 15-20 lb. Ling was crazy, 4 over 30, including my second biggest at 38.5 and lots over 20. Hali was good, biggest was 131 cm 70 lb, another at 40 and the rest chickens at 20. Could not get limits of snapper though......came back with 5.

It always reminds me that I should never have moved from McNeill.......

Cheers

SS

bang flop
07-28-2015, 09:51 PM
Wow... stackin it up!

SS, out producing most guides! Tides were pretty optimal this past weekend.

There are a ton of small springs around. Most fish I have caught/seen are just legal size to about 70 cm, so about 8-14 lbs. I'm glad to hear you got the odd bigger ones.

Heard of a couple 36ers being caught, and one that tipped the scales at 51 lbs.

It is a trade off SS, moving from great fishing to great hunting!

Nex time you are here send me a message!

Sitkaspruce
07-29-2015, 07:15 PM
The best part of the trip was we never had competition, twice we had one other boat fish beside us, the rest we were all alone. Never been a sheeple, go where we know there are fish and fish those spots. Most go to the usual spots, we fish the unusual between the usual spots. Been doing it for years. Only usual place we fished was Edmond Rock one day, we hit 11 salmon in an hour and a half at high slack.....nobody around.

Once I get the picts downloaded, I will post some up.

Cheers

SS

srupp
07-29-2015, 07:18 PM
Sounds awesome ss..congrads..
Steven

charlie_horse
07-29-2015, 07:36 PM
We've limited on springs, except for two which were searching for the real monster. Got myself a personal best 45lb ling cod. The bigger fish seem to be coming down up north as most of ours the last couple days have been in the 20-22 lb range and one at 26.