PDA

View Full Version : pack in hunt meal ideas

luger
07-26-2015, 01:31 PM
Hey guys, my dad and my brothers and I and doing a 8 day pack in trip. We got jet boils and white gas stoves. We can get Milar bags. What are your meal ideas? I know mountain house makes some great stuff but it's pritty pricy. Weight isnt a huge deal caue we are hiking in and then hunting light from a spike camp. Looking for your hunting favorites?

KodiakHntr
07-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Weight is always an issue on a pack in hunt....

Mountain house all the way.

Mikey Rafiki
07-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Just got a big dehydrator so I'm gonna try making a few premade soups and stews. Home made Mountain Houses so to speak.

Taylor329
07-26-2015, 02:51 PM
Last year I did a pack in with my Dad we were in the bush 11 days, Mountain House meals all the way. Easy to pack, taste good, easy to make. I found that the milk used as an ingredient sparked my allergies a bit (I'm lactose intolerant), so I have to find a different pack food if anybody knows some without milk?

huckleberry
07-26-2015, 02:58 PM
Bear creek soup (vegetable) and a few chunks of of jerky boiled till rehydrated. Light weight, nutritious and cheap. Cup of tea with an ounce of overproof rum, sleep like a baby. 8 days, mickey each for the trip.p

Wentrot
07-26-2015, 03:19 PM
Just got a big dehydrator so I'm gonna try making a few premade soups and stews. Home made Mountain Houses so to speak.

Doing the same-chili!

604ksmith
07-26-2015, 03:46 PM
MountainHouse your meals. It's hard to beat the champ.

Snacks: jerky, nuts, peanut butter (in mini tupperware), apples (heavy, I know),
Add-ons: olive oil (in flask, high in kcal, add to mountain house), mini ketchup packets (in ziplock!), spices (chipotle mango, seasoning salt, hot sauce)

BRrooster
07-26-2015, 03:50 PM
I would say ," go off your regular diet " if you have to and get whatever nutrition into you that you can. I take liquid gel multi vitamins daily and would recommend them. Just bought a Bradley Smoker a couple of weeks ago and made up a batch of ground Black Bear jerky.......it was great. More like Pemmmican actually, added nuts and seeds and dried fruit to it. Trail Mix, homemade if you can. Is there lots of water where you are going to, boil it first before even putting it in your canteens. And about price......its just one trip , spend the dollars and go Rocky Mt House. Its time tested stuff. If your lactose intolerant or sesnsitve to other ingredients , like my daughter, then you pack your pills with you.

Clint_S
07-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Uncle Ben's fast and fancy rice.
Cheddar and Broccoli is awesome.

Downside it needs cooking for 15 min but if you bring a chafer heater or gel fuel canister it is perfect for simmering once the jetboil brings it to a boil.
Upside 99 cents a packet and rice has a few carbs to keep you going

.264winmag
07-26-2015, 04:27 PM
Olive oil trick is a good one, butter works too. Heavy but calorie for weight is way up there. Ichiban is nice for those damp days or just an extra lunch meal when needed. Don't mind the MH myself, for those that don't know though only the '2 serving' meals come close to filling you up. My partner was bragging about his lighter more compact meals last year, he was pretty hungry after a meal lol.

longstonec
07-26-2015, 04:41 PM
I like to take couple OZ of apple cider vinegar to get digestive system going before meals. also helps with heartburn. If your going to have lots of water around soup powders are great as well as VIA coffee or tea. (Hot Tang orange drink powder is deadly good too)
Butter or home made Ghee.
My uncle swore by his home made pemmican.
I have always liked premade wraps with cheese peanut butter and jam or honey. or that plus some chicken too. freeze dried idohan potato and slab of ham...
or pre baked small potatoes with cheese and salami in em. Too much processed food means I need more moss or toilet paper.

I dont do well when I get hungry... ever, so to me the extra couple pounds of weight is always worth it.

BromBones
07-26-2015, 05:05 PM
Mtn House is the staple. Lots of calories, carbs, and sodium. On days if we've been glassing mostly and not moving much, I'll eat some Mr Noodles with jerky tossed in for supper.

Breakfast is usually granola or oatmeal with dried blueberries, sliced almonds, milk powder and protein powder. Pre-mix each day in a Ziploc bag and dump some hot water in when you're ready to eat.

Coconut oil is really good for extra fat. Tastes good and is pretty good for you. You can eat by the spoonful, or melt it in your tea or whatever and drink it.

For supplements, a good multi-vitamin and fish oil every morning.

One thing some guys forget to do is load up on all the calories you can fit in the couple days before the hunt. If you are making a hard push your first day or two on the hunt to get into your area, loading up on calories before the hunt will help with keeping your energy up.

dbergen69
07-26-2015, 06:51 PM
We use a dehydrator to make our own camp meals. I wish I could find the foil bags like mountain house comes in.

BgBlkDg
07-26-2015, 07:18 PM
I like the Canadian "Harvest Foodworks" meals, tend to use granola bars with tea for breakfasts and nuts, jerky and chocolate squares for snacks.

I carry about 1.75 lbs. roughly per day in total food, also have used olive oil and some spices to "customize" my evening meal and gum to assist with a clean mouth.

I also like a few mints per lunch and dinner but never carry-use alcohol in the bush.

Too many chemicals in most cold drink mixes for me and am always looking for light alternative foods.

07-26-2015, 07:24 PM
Dried sockeye in my pack ........ Brined , lightly smoked, and dried ....... Never lasts the trip and is very light, it's a treat.

G bears like the smell too apparently ......

digger dogger
07-26-2015, 10:50 PM
Uncle Ben's fast and fancy rice.
Cheddar and Broccoli is awesome.

Downside it needs cooking for 15 min but if you bring a chafer heater or gel fuel canister it is perfect for simmering once the jetboil brings it to a boil.
Upside 99 cents a packet and rice has a few carbs to keep you going

Try Uncle bens bistro, mexican is the best one. imo.
100ml water, and 3-4 mins,(let it sit for another 5ish mins) a ptarmigan or two is awesome.
I can only do so many MH, on a backpack hunt.
Sardines/kippered herring, fruit cup, cacciatore sausage, chocolate bar, for lunch.
Oatmeal for breakfast.

Ohwildwon
07-26-2015, 11:09 PM
Check this out...

http://www.journalofmountainhunting.com/blazing-trail---heathers-choice-adventure-meals.html

Her meals are twice the price MH, but also twice the calories..

MH is freeze dried, apossed to Her meals being dehydrated, they taste awesome!

Stainless
07-27-2015, 09:22 AM
I made some of my own. Took a bag of powdered potatoes and threw in some jerky chunks and a pouch of gravy powder. Add boiled water and you have mashed potatoes with overcooked steak and gravy ;) Tasted pretty decent.

Upearly
07-27-2015, 11:21 AM
You might want to check out these ideas; www.goodshomedesign.com/6-instant-meals-for-backpacking-just-add-boiling-water/ (http://www.goodshomedesign.com/6-instant-meals-for-backpacking-just-add-boiling-water/)

bassplayer
07-27-2015, 11:29 AM
Another cheap idea is go to Walmart and get those Sidekicks. They are like a dollar something but you can get pasta, rice etc. Just add water. Not so much as a main course but as an extra side dish. They are really filling.

island_dmax
07-27-2015, 04:38 PM
Look up "Hawk Vittles" they are more money then MH but a far superior product. Less sodium yet still tasty. They are dehydrated so they take longer to soften up. Check the nutritional info of each meal prior to ordering as some are better suited for the high calorie demand of a mountain hunt.
There is also other freeze dried options like Backpacker's Pantry and Alpineaire.
Cheaper is not the way to go on a Backpack hunt.