PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get boat insurace?

justachip
07-26-2015, 10:31 AM
Hey Im looking to insure my jet boat and wondering what you guys have experienced? Where the best place to buy it, things to look out for etc. I am in Kamloops if that makes a difference.
Thanks in advance

ryanb
07-26-2015, 11:41 AM
I have my boat insurance through Johnston Meier. It's underwritten by Royal Sun Alliance. Can't speak to claims performance as I've had none. Usually runs about 1% of boat value give or take. Cheap insurance for a jet boat especially. Make sure you read the fine print on any insurance policy and make sure it meets your needs.

Iron Glove
07-26-2015, 02:44 PM
Find an Insurance Broker who specializes in marine / boat insurance - it's a whole different thing than cars and houses.
Buy the broadest coverage, not the cheapest.
Ask about latent defects, resultant damage, machinery damage, actual cash value vs. "new for old".
Review the exclusions.
Get at last $2M liability coverage a.k.a. Protection & Indemnity.
Generally policies from Marine Insurers are broader than from non-marine ones.
Navis, Mardon Insurance, Johnston Meier in Po Co, HUB Burnaby all have some knowledgeable staff.
Made my living in Marine Insurance for over 40 years, I know a bit. ;)

Jagermeister
07-26-2015, 03:56 PM
Get a quote from each, then go to Interior Savings CU in Valleyview. You will have to wait until Tuesday, closed mondays. Much cheaper than Hub and the others.
Anyway you look at it though, your type of boat is probably at the high end of the risk scale and therefore at the high end of the premium scale.