PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to deflate the tires on FSR?

alexboyprin
07-26-2015, 04:30 AM
...my tires are inflated at 50psi all the time. this is for a F-150. when I am on FSR with lots of sharp rocks I am afraid of bursting a tire. Also, It make the ride a bit rough. I wonder if it would be a good thing to deflate the tires once in the forest and if so, how low the pressure should be?

Thanks for all positive comments!

Alexboy

jtred
07-26-2015, 06:21 AM
I've never bothered and so far it hasn't been a problem. The only time I've had a flat due to sharp rocks was on the Dempster highway, the flint sticking up out of the road could be as sharp as a knife. I spent a year in Australia working my way around the country and I often let some air out of my tires for more flotation and traction in sand, it was kind of a pain since you need to carry a portable compressor that plugs into your cigarette lighter or attaches to the battery. I've now been hunting and exploring the Kootenays for over eight years now and every flat I've had was caused by nails on our construction sites.

Wentrot
07-26-2015, 06:39 AM
I wouldnt bother for the most part. No issues yet. Like he said^^^nails and other crap will be the main culprit

Big Lew
07-26-2015, 07:14 AM
You don't say if you're carrying much weight in your truck or not.
You also don't say what type of tires you're running.
I do a lot of gravel and dirt road traveling, including up north,
and have run the Demptster.
I have a 2005 Nissan with heavy duty 6 ply tires. When carrying
quite a bit of weight I have the tires at 45-50 lbs....when running
light I reduce them to 36-38 lbs. otherwise the rough roads pound
the heck out of the truck. Never have much problem with sharp shale
etc....only with the occasional nail or metal shrapnel from construction
or logging trucks.

604ksmith
07-26-2015, 07:40 AM
I have a Nissan Frontier with Load E tires. It's overkill for such a small truck, but I wanted bombproof tires.

I run at 30psi on bad FSR's, 35psi when on good FSR's, 45psi on the street. I think it makes a noticeable difference and it's worth the hassle of airing up or down for me. Also, if you're only going from 50 down to 40, you could drive home like that with no adverse affects, then airing up at the gas station when it's most convienent.

250 sav
07-26-2015, 07:53 AM
my experience is underinflation equals cut sidewalls

nature girl
07-26-2015, 08:04 AM
In all the years going on fsr we have only cut our tires once. And we go on some nasty stuff at times. Just make sure you have a spare tire and your good to go.

keoke
07-26-2015, 08:18 AM
to really have any benefit from airing down your tires for traction purposes you would have to drop them below 20lbs and would only recommend this with a true off road tire with side wall protection. Personally I think you run too much air in your tires in general and should go by what is recommended in the sticker of your door jam.

HarryToolips
07-26-2015, 08:28 AM
my experience is underinflation equals cut sidewalls
Exactly...

.330 Dakota
07-26-2015, 08:31 AM
E rated tires are good enough for a 1 ton, so I think your Nissan is just fine at 50psi although if you drop to 40psi it might ride like a Nissan and not like a mid eighty's Dodge Cummins...lol....I run my 04 Cummins at 40psi with E rated tires,,no prb at all.
I think the OP said he had 6ply, which IMO is fine for that truck,,,35-45 should be lots for a decent ride and handling as well as loads that it would carry

Big Lew
07-26-2015, 08:59 AM
E rated tires are good enough for a 1 ton, so I think your Nissan is just fine at 50psi although if you drop to 40psi it might ride like a Nissan and not like a mid eighty's Dodge Cummins...lol....I run my 04 Cummins at 40psi with E rated tires,,no prb at all.
I think the OP said he had 6ply, which IMO is fine for that truck,,,35-45 should be lots for a decent ride and handling as well as loads that it would carry

Might want to re-read the OP's post...he has a Ford 150 and he hasn't stated what tires he's
running yet. It was me that has the Nissan (Frontier Nismo) with 6 ply tires, but you're right
that running at 35-45 is fine for that truck.

Squamch
07-26-2015, 09:04 AM
Lowering your psi by 10-15 will help a ton with ride and traction. I've never cut a sidewall due to low tire pressure. I run around 20 in my DD tires off-road, 45 on road. '89 toyota with 235/85r16 load range E tires.

CHEAM
07-26-2015, 09:32 AM
I think it makes a difference in the ride and also your ball joints will benefit from it. Your tire is the only shock absorption for your ball joints. I drive a f350 crew cab and a run up to north end of Harrison empty can be painful. This is only based on my opinion though. Is it worth the effort?

Sofa King
07-26-2015, 10:39 AM
you are running your tires at 50psi.
why so high???

Sofa King
07-26-2015, 10:41 AM
http://roadsafety.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/over-inflation.jpg (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCNTS0vOr-cYCFY-kiAod5FMN_A&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsites.google.com%2Fsite%2Fstrict lyboosted%2Ftire-wear&ei=vBu1VdSEDY_JogTkp7XgDw&bvm=bv.98717601,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNGS7O4pmEAk-04lpLxlhSCDw2cUTg&ust=1438018787024552)

mikeboehm
07-26-2015, 11:21 AM
I run 40psi in my toyo m55 E range no problems. If fact i haven't had a flat tire since i switched all my tires from POS BF Goodrich. I had flat after flat with them all terrains and KM2

.330 Dakota
07-26-2015, 11:28 AM
I run 40psi in my toyo m55 E range no problems. If fact i haven't had a flat tire since i switched all my tires from POS BF Goodrich. I had flat after flat with them all terrains and KM2

I wore out a set of 37" BFG'S on my Cummins in under 20k,,,went to Toyo 35's, never looked back

.330 Dakota
07-26-2015, 11:29 AM
Might want to re-read the OP's post...he has a Ford 150 and he hasn't stated what tires he's
running yet. It was me that has the Nissan (Frontier Nismo) with 6 ply tires, but you're right
that running at 35-45 is fine for that truck.

Hhhmm,,,,guess I wasnt awake yet,,lol

hunteryad
07-26-2015, 12:32 PM
I think if you have good tires and don't drive fast on the fsr roads, you have a much better chance of not getting a flat than if your driving fast on them......I think...?

ACE
07-26-2015, 12:36 PM
There's an inflation formula that some folks subscribe to .... using my truck as an example here. Dodge/Cummins RC 4x4
Weight of front axle .... 3938 lbs. divided by 2 = load weight per front tire ..... 1969 lbs.
Maximum listed load of front tires is 3750 lbs. @ 80 lbs. tire pressure.
1969 lbs. is 53% of the maximum tire load.
53% of the maximum front tire pressure is 43 lbs.

Do the same for the rear axle, making adjustments for load, etc.
I've tried this with both my Dodge/Cummins 4x4's ..... gravel and pavement.
Didn't get heat or mileage issues ...... truck rode noticeably better.

ACE
07-26-2015, 12:44 PM
http://roadsafety.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/over-inflation.jpg (https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCNTS0vOr-cYCFY-kiAod5FMN_A&url=https%3A%2F%2Fsites.google.com%2Fsite%2Fstrict lyboosted%2Ftire-wear&ei=vBu1VdSEDY_JogTkp7XgDw&bvm=bv.98717601,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNGS7O4pmEAk-04lpLxlhSCDw2cUTg&ust=1438018787024552)Those tires have been over inflated.

B.C.Boy(100%)
07-26-2015, 12:56 PM
That and/or could have been mounted on narrower rims than specified causing unnecessary crowning.

toad
07-26-2015, 03:52 PM
I run my duratracs at 70+ psi... the ride is way smoother and don't find they wander like they do at 45psi in the bush or on the hwy. they are on a 1500 ext cab silverado

Salty
07-26-2015, 08:45 PM
Yes if you're running near max pressure like so many do. Taking advice from a guy that's been in the tire biz for a long time up here serving mainly loggers, being that I run a lot of bush roads I run at 35 lbs all the time in my half ton. If I was packing a big load for a long ways on the hwy I'd air them up to 40 or 45.

elch jager
07-26-2015, 09:12 PM
Yes if you're running near max pressure like so many do. Taking advice from a guy that's been in the tire biz for a long time up here serving mainly loggers, being that I run a lot of bush roads I run at 35 lbs all the time in my half ton. If I was packing a big load for a long ways on the hwy I'd air them up to 40 or 45.

+1

At 50 psi your f150 is harsh. I run my f150 at 35 front and rear with the Nokian Rotiiva AT. Every truck I buy goes through a very careful +/- eval of inflation. With a couple of exceptions the door sticker is pretty close to what you should run. I wouldn't dream of 50 psi for a half ton. Maybe with a full load and trailer for a short haul... maybe.

Robin
07-26-2015, 09:27 PM
I don't drive a pickup but my Jeep is very heavy with the bumpers, armor, winch etc. I'm running 35" Good Year MTR's, on the pavement I run at 35lbs, on the FSR's anywhere from 15-25lbs and in the bush usually 4-10lbs, sometimes I'm at 0 but I have internal bead locks so I can do that. For me it's about comfort and traction when I hit the FSR's and or the bush. I'd say experiment with the pressure but make sure you carry a compressor with you cause it ain't fun doing highway speeds at 6psi.

604ksmith
07-26-2015, 09:32 PM
I don't drive a pickup but my Jeep is very heavy with the bumpers, armor, winch etc. I'm running 35" Good Year MTR's, on the pavement I run at 35lbs, on the FSR's anywhere from 15-25lbs and in the bush usually 4-10lbs, sometimes I'm at 0 but I have internal bead locks so I can do that. For me it's about comfort and traction when I hit the FSR's and or the bush. I'd say experiment with the pressure but make sure you carry a compressor with you cause it ain't fun doing highway speeds at 6psi.

Hey Robin,

What kind of compressor do you have? Do you run a full-time mounted compressor for air and lockers, or some sort of cigarette or battery plug-in version? Any suggestions on something to buy for casual pump ups for exactly this FSR thread question would be appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

Sofa King
07-26-2015, 11:21 PM
Those tires have been over inflated.

you are correct sir.
wouldn't 50psi be overinflating tires?
most I've ever had always recommend about 35psi.

crownandanchor
07-26-2015, 11:26 PM
I drive an older Tacoma with Duratracs - definitely lower the psi from about 40 to about 30 or less if it's nasty. I found running at 45psi+ caused the tires to wear a bit faster in the centre of the tread. When on the fsr the ride is way more comfortable and with better traction at a lower psi.

REMINGTON JIM
07-28-2015, 09:50 PM
you are correct sir.
wouldn't 50psi be overinflating tires?
most I've ever had always recommend about 35psi.

NO ! it Depends on the tire and the weight load on it ! :wink: RJ

Squamch
07-29-2015, 02:12 PM
Hey Robin,

What kind of compressor do you have? Do you run a full-time mounted compressor for air and lockers, or some sort of cigarette or battery plug-in version? Any suggestions on something to buy for casual pump ups for exactly this FSR thread question would be appreciated. Thanks, Kevin

I have a viair 300p that I keep in a "fat .50" ammo can, along with my plug kit. I've used it to fill quad tires, up to 36" TSLs. Clips straight to the battery. It gets warm after filling 4 36" tires from 5 psi up to 25-30, but it does the trick. A friend of mine has had great luck with the "slime" brand units from Walmart, but like everything else I use in the bush, buy the best and it won't let you down.
If I didn't swap it between vehicles, I would had mount it, plumbed to a tank, or simply convert an A/C compressor and plumb that to a tank. Since it may spend time in my DD, my wheeler, and in dad's f350 in a month...I just keep it in the ammo can.

BRrooster
07-29-2015, 05:05 PM
Good thread! I don't change my tire pressures when in the woods , just adjust for the load if I have too.
I have a Canadian Tire Booster pack with air compressor on it. It saved the day last year. Just a note to everyone......Check the pressure in your
spare once in a while!

hunter1947
07-29-2015, 05:26 PM
I deflate all 4 of my tires on my 250 ford 4x4 its a 1994 I have 10ply tires on it and if I was to run the tires with the recommended tire pressure It would ride like a bucking bronco I lower my tires to 25psi all four tire and it makes the hell of a difference ,,mind you I carry a well made electric air pump with me behind the seat just incase I want to load up the box with wood or other make sure you get a well made tire pump there handy to have for all reasons,,I got my tire pump from lordco on sale for 160.00 good stuff not like the shit you get from CT,,LOL

Robin
07-29-2015, 08:04 PM
Kevin, I run a small Viair it's fast and portable. I drive a 2006 Rubicon so I don't worry about air for my lockers which is the reason I like the Viair, it can go from truck to truck. It clamps to the batteries(I run 2) so there's no worry about blowing a fuse like the cheap cigarette plug ins. I think the price was around $400 from North Shore Off Road, 5 years later it's still filling tires without a hiccup.

Hey Robin,

Ohwildwon
07-29-2015, 11:10 PM
I run 150% of max pressure.. To do this buy rims that are 1" oversize recommended! This is all in the name of fuel mileage of course.. Went from 15l per 100k down to 10!..

You have to use a mouth guard and have your chiropractor on speed dial though..:razz: