PDA

View Full Version : Road deactivation region8-9

270ruger
07-25-2015, 06:07 PM
Does anyone one know why certain roads in region8-9 are being deactivated,not just a little ditch but many ditches and boulders with no proper posting of said deactivation.I will post pics once I get a photo bucket account set up.Seems like public restriction to public roads.(First time poster joke;what's the difference between an oral and a rectal thermometer?The taste!)

huntingfamily
07-25-2015, 06:19 PM
Are you talking about Greyback (Reservoir) road by chance?

Mikey Rafiki
07-25-2015, 06:23 PM
How are they determined to be public roads?

Whonnock Boy
07-25-2015, 06:41 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it is a collaborative effort of many groups to help curtail both regulated, and unregulated harvest. Moose numbers are on the decline in many parts of region 8, and I assume region 8-9 is no exception. Expect to see it more often as roads become of no use to the industry sector.

Doostien
07-25-2015, 06:48 PM
The thing about most roads in the backwoods, is that the Forest Service can close them pretty easily. Even if it is designated an FSR if the Forest Service deems in a danger to the general public they will close it. No public consultation necessary if its done for safety.

Even when it's not about safety, public consultation is likely a small ad in a newspaper for an open house at 9:00AM on a tuesday. Usually the Forest Service doesn't even do it themselves. They tell whoever had the road permit to do it.

Sofa King
07-25-2015, 07:53 PM
because they can.
and they don't need to explain why or post them.

.300WSMImpact!
07-25-2015, 07:56 PM
I would love to see more removed

zippermouth
07-25-2015, 07:56 PM
are the roads completely deactivated so you cant drive on them or just enough to make a bumpy ride? awesome if they are finally doing some complete deactivation.

.300WSMImpact!
07-25-2015, 08:03 PM
most I have seen are complete deactivation, to the point that if you haven't been on the road before you would not know where it was or went to

358mag
07-25-2015, 08:04 PM
I would love to see more removed
Bingo we have a winner bring it on . It call a hunting not a Macdonald's drive thru shooting season .
"In spite of what some members of this site choose to BELIEVE, None of our opinions are any more important than Dog Shit"!

Muliechaser
07-25-2015, 09:11 PM
I would also like to seemore roads "deactivated
" properly ... they say they are deactivated yet you can get into most with a honda civic lol ..
Access is way to easy and is hurting animal populations .. close em down !

Mikey Rafiki
07-25-2015, 09:16 PM
I agree with more full deactivations. May not create more animals but it creates a better hunting experience and less out of shape road hunters :)

HarryToolips
07-25-2015, 09:47 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it is a collaborative effort of many groups to help curtail both regulated, and unregulated harvest. Moose numbers are on the decline in many parts of region 8, and I assume region 8-9 is no exception. Expect to see it more often as roads become of no use to the industry sector.
I hope your right in that more, hopefully many more, will be deactivated..I will say however that from what I have heard it is not our moose population in decline yet but our bull:cow ratio in some MU's of region 8 is low...
Hunters need to realize that with less Forest service road access will come better hunting, I have written my concerns to the government and asked for this, I hope many others do the same. Wouldn't it be awesome if we could have a Sept 20 - Oct 31st Spike Fork bull moose season again folks?? Or maybe something even better.. Is our Oct 'any buck' season along with our generous youth/bow seasons sustainable for years and years to come if we don't do any more de-activation?? I'm just talking a certain percentage of spur roads, not roads going to main lakes etc..Lets push to make hunting better..

itsy bitsy xj
07-25-2015, 10:27 PM
Its actually for the secret gov. bases where they are keeping the survivors of the crashed spaceships. "They" have underground bases all over our province. If you watch the night skies you will see satelites traveling in groups of three. Thats how they find a spot for a new base

Whonnock Boy
07-25-2015, 11:10 PM
Thanks for correcting me. I do remember reading that now.

I will say however that from what I have heard it is not our moose population in decline yet but our bull:cow ratio in some MU's of region 8 is low...

Wrayzer
07-26-2015, 05:48 AM
8-09 was one of the very few MUs they increased LEH Bull Moose draws this year.
I'm all for deactivation, and not just ditches but like some roads where they've pulled all the fallen and left behind logs as well as boulders, dirt etc through the roads. Makes some of them even hard to walk.

tracker
07-26-2015, 07:20 AM
All for the deactivations, keeps the 24/7 fellas out!!

HarryToolips
07-26-2015, 09:03 AM
All for the deactivations, keeps the 24/7 fellas out!!
You got it! That's the only way unfortunately to limit their harvest..

SPEYMAN
07-26-2015, 01:49 PM
What about those that have no interest in harvesting animals? There are others that use those roads for their pleasure. There are rules and laws that can solve these problems, this Government has no desire to do so. The easy way is to destroy access. Enforcement of the laws solves the issue. We all know that won't happen. There are only a few that break the laws and we all pay the price.

zippermouth
07-26-2015, 03:36 PM
What about those that have no interest in harvesting animals? There are others that use those roads for their pleasure. There are rules and laws that can solve these problems, this Government has no desire to do so. The easy way is to destroy access. Enforcement of the laws solves the issue. We all know that won't happen. There are only a few that break the laws and we all pay the price.

go on one of the thousand other roads that are in the direct vicinity. region 8 has some of the highest road densities in bc and more roads being cut in every year. and guys still want more access. just shake my head at some peoples thinking process.

270ruger
07-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Hunting Family you are correct,it is just a couple of roads that are bermed and bouldered up, completely impassible,not against deactivation as I hunt from a mountain bike and rode around it quite easily for my weekend bike ride.Just seems that someone wants to keep people out of there own hunting reserve is my impression and whenever I see that a road has been deactivated it's usually posted.I have pics but still having phone issues.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-26-2015, 04:42 PM
Region 8 has the Highest FSR density in the province.

Hopefully they hey will continue to decommission more roads....but completely and properly.

358mag
07-26-2015, 05:42 PM
Region 8 has the Highest FSR density in the province.

Hopefully they hey will continue to decommission more roads....but completely and properly.
Along with the highest hunter ## and highest harvest ## .

Muliechaser
07-26-2015, 05:50 PM

When they make a cut ,they in all reality are supposed to decomision the road when operations are done right up to the main fsr they cut in off of .. people that arent there to hunt or w.h.y can use the allready existing roads and trails to lakes parks etc .....

Muliechaser
07-26-2015, 05:58 PM

The main fsrs will still remain for the most part . For logging lakes parks forestry etc .. how do we all pay the price for deactivating roads "properly " like they all should have been in the first place ? This is not a " the minorty ruins it for the rest of us deal . It is supposed to be done regardless after operations finish . Roads that were punched in specificly to log an area arent meant for people to enjoy the out doors . thats what fsrs are for not logging roads that should have been deactivated correctly in the first place .

Mc

yamadirt 426
07-26-2015, 06:03 PM
sounds like a good defense against the 24/7 poachers.

M.Dean
07-26-2015, 06:27 PM
In some cases the logging company's will put in "Water Bar's" or some call them "Rain Bar's". They vary in depth but are usually on a angle so the melting snow or rain won't make big ruts in the dirt roads, the water runs into the ditches instead, reason being there going to log there again. Around here the MOE and who ever else I guess, don't want a "Round about Road", and the reason for this as told to me is "Road Hunters", yep them dirty rotten "Road Hunters"! Big fat stinky RH's just love a road where they can go in one way and come out a different way, that way they don't see the burger wrapper's and Tim cups, donut box's, pizza box's and beer can's they just throw out there window's so they don't look like a fat drunk'in pig when they get home! And, as also told to me by a logger, and the guy running that real big Excavator ripp'in my hunting road to shreds, the MOE Doesn't want, yep same guys here, "Road Hunters" to drive all over the place and shoot everything that moves, or there's a lake or two in there that they want "Walk in Only", keeping me out cuz I can't walk??? So yaaa, even I have to admit making the roads Impassable to "Road Hunters" is a good idea, so I'd never even think of taking my truck in there! But let me tell ya, once I click that "Diff Lock" in my quad, that 450 will drive over anything they can throw at me!!!

Liveforthehunt
07-26-2015, 07:09 PM
In some cases the logging company's will put in "Water Bar's" or some call them "Rain Bar's". They vary in depth but are usually on a angle so the melting snow or rain won't make big ruts in the dirt roads, the water runs into the ditches instead, reason being there going to log there again. Around here the MOE and who ever else I guess, don't want a "Round about Road", and the reason for this as told to me is "Road Hunters", yep them dirty rotten "Road Hunters"! Big fat stinky RH's just love a road where they can go in one way and come out a different way, that way they don't see the burger wrapper's and Tim cups, donut box's, pizza box's and beer can's they just throw out there window's so they don't look like a fat drunk'in pig when they get home! And, as also told to me by a logger, and the guy running that real big Excavator ripp'in my hunting road to shreds, the MOE Doesn't want, yep same guys here, "Road Hunters" to drive all over the place and shoot everything that moves, or there's a lake or two in there that they want "Walk in Only", keeping me out cuz I can't walk??? So yaaa, even I have to admit making the roads Impassable to "Road Hunters" is a good idea, so I'd never even think of taking my truck in there! But let me tell ya, once I click that "Diff Lock" in my quad, that 450 will drive over anything they can throw at me!!!

I beg to differ on the last comment ... when they chew the road up for a couple kms soo bad it's not even fun to walk into this will even keep the gnarliest quads out ... 4 foot dirt piles side by side lol... this isn't a bad thing and I can personally say littering in the bush is just plain ignorant. Don't mind the beer cans as long as they keep em on the road so I can pick em up :). Keep chopping the roads up for great reasons. And no I don't have any issues with road hunters.