PDA

View Full Version : hunters hunting with their companion dog

dino
07-25-2015, 06:03 PM
Im wondering if anyone out their has almost shot what they believed to be a wolf or a coyote but was actually someone's dog.

604redneck
07-25-2015, 06:07 PM
Ive almost shot my own dog a few times........

BRvalley
07-25-2015, 06:31 PM
I read a story like that on one of the forums (can't remember which) involving a husky

I think it's a major **** up to shoot a dog, shooters responsibility to know....but if I had a breed that could be confused by an idiot to be a wolf/coyote I'd have an orange vest on him whenever in the woods

albravo2
07-25-2015, 06:53 PM
I've had the opposite happen, about 25kms from Squamish.

Was thinking, 'Geez, that's a really big dog'. Then I realized it was a wolf stalking MY dogs and got them into the truck. Then the pack started to howl all around us and I realized we were pretty lucky.

You don't usually get much time to point and shoot at a wolf. I probably would have missed the chance at a shot trying to make sure it wasn't a dog. I've been told a curled tail is definitely a dog, some straight tails require more examination.

604ksmith
07-25-2015, 06:57 PM
I know of someone who shot at a wolf and missed, only to find out it was a hikers dog. The hiker was not impressed and the shooter was pretty shook up as well.

If you have a Elkhound, Husky, German Shepard mix, ect... I would definitely put a hi-vis vest on him/her and hope that a hunter doesn't see a hind quarter or head and go for a shot through some bushes.

Very small chance, but if it was to happen it would really tug at the heart strings. Sometimes dogs are everything to a person (single guy, widower ect..)

Everett
07-25-2015, 07:05 PM
Someone shoots at my dog and I will shoot at them. I think that's fair.

Boner
07-25-2015, 07:12 PM
What kind of dog do you have? A wolf looking dog on its own with no collar seems fair game to me.

RiverRunner
07-25-2015, 07:41 PM
yup… take no chances when there's people about with rifles…..
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/rodflyrod/IMG_3383.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/rodflyrod/media/IMG_3383.jpg.html)

Sofa King
07-25-2015, 07:58 PM
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/rodflyrod/IMG_3383.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/rodflyrod/media/IMG_3383.jpg.html)

what he said.
people accidentally shoot other hunters, so dogs would be no surprise.
hi-vis vest is always a good idea.

.300WSMImpact!
07-25-2015, 08:01 PM
what if you saw a deer chaser dog, then what do you shoot or leave it let it kill some deer for fun? I have seen this miles and miles into nowhere I didn't shoot

ruger#1
07-25-2015, 08:08 PM

Where did you buy that vest?

Steelpulse
07-25-2015, 08:25 PM
Ya people mistake people for animals there are those people out there, any pet dog that has hair would look like a deer to some "hunters" in the woods the dogs will always wear orange

Sofa King
07-25-2015, 08:33 PM
what if you saw a deer chaser dog, then what do you shoot or leave it let it kill some deer for fun? I have seen this miles and miles into nowhere I didn't shoot

that's a tough one.
I think it would be illegal though.
but I sure wouldn't blame someone for shooting that dog in that situation.

Iron Glove
07-25-2015, 08:45 PM
that's a tough one.
I think it would be illegal though.
but I sure wouldn't blame someone for shooting that dog in that situation.

It is illegal so it would be your decision to make with the caveat that there might be consequences.

Salty
07-25-2015, 08:48 PM
Bought a few large red handkerchiefs, or flags if you're a hip hop gangstah lmao. Anyways got'm from the bargain store and the two big dogs wear one around their neck cowboy style when we're in the bush during hunting season. Cheap not in their way and visible from all directions.

Gateholio
07-25-2015, 09:16 PM
Im wondering if anyone out their has almost shot what they believed to be a wolf or a coyote but was actually someone's dog.

Never

That being said, nobody cares as much about your dog as you do, so take steps to keep them safe.

Gateholio
07-25-2015, 09:18 PM

Not legal. Only a Peace Officer can destroy a wildlife chasing dog. That's the law, anyway.

300rum700
07-25-2015, 10:05 PM
I'm always confused by these threads. You love your dog enough to go so far as to shoot at someone shooting at your dog but you don't love enough to keep it on a leash or put a vest on it? It's your dog and your problem. If you love it keep it safe and don't make it someone else's problem. That goes for any pet. It's no different than it getting run over by a vehicle, it's on the road because you let it get on the road. Not everyone loves fluffy like you do.

itsy bitsy xj
07-25-2015, 10:14 PM
I read a story like that on one of the forums (can't remember which) involving a husky

I think it's a major **** up to shoot a dog, shooters responsibility to know....but if I had a breed that could be confused by an idiot to be a wolf/coyote I'd have an orange vest on him whenever in the woods

I have an orange reflective safety vest for my dogs. It actually made for dogs. I got it from a company here in Langley "gear4dogs" Totally worth it if it saves one of my dogs from a dumbass who can't tell a dog from whatever

finngun
07-25-2015, 10:28 PM
Some dogs can be mistakenly mixt with wolf,,i have seen scraffy looking dog in bush on van island,,so it looks alike real wolf .. it was really hard to see a diff..van island wolves are diff breed than mainland wolves..

dino
07-26-2015, 06:56 AM
the consensus seems to be if your in the bush with a dog high viz is a must. it is the owners responsibility to be cautious . This sounds very reasonable, thanks everyone.

labguy
07-26-2015, 07:17 AM
I'm always confused by these threads. You love your dog enough to go so far as to shoot at someone shooting at your dog but you don't love enough to keep it on a leash or put a vest on it? It's your dog and your problem. If you love it keep it safe and don't make it someone else's problem. That goes for any pet. It's no different than it getting run over by a vehicle, it's on the road because you let it get on the road. Not everyone loves fluffy like you do.

This post nails it. Excellent!!!!

Iron Glove
07-26-2015, 08:48 AM
Our Tollers allegedly look like foxes - I guess to a half blind, semi drunk hunter?
Yes, take steps to avoid an accident, hi viz vests are cheap, easy insurance.

RiverRunner
07-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Where did you buy that vest?

Oly's in Mission.
I originally bought it for walking the hood at night Those reflecto strips light up!…. but soon started using it in the wilds too. Makes it so much easier to keep tabs on him as he's pretty darn fast!

Here's another option I use too…. No free loading slackers on my watch. Pull your own weight!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/rodflyrod/Mobile%20Uploads/image_11.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/rodflyrod/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_11.jpg.html)

ruger#1
07-26-2015, 09:08 AM
Oly's. I have a discount card. And live ten minutes away. I will go down and talk to the girls sometime this week. My GSP drives me crazy. This would be better for finding her. I like that packing vest also.

BigSlapper
07-26-2015, 07:59 PM
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/Tunkwa/DSC01188.jpg (http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/Tunkwa/media/DSC01188.jpg.html)
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/Tunkwa/DSC01158.jpg (http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/Tunkwa/media/DSC01158.jpg.html)
http://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w475/Tunkwa/FencelineChukars_zps97b2e6ed.jpg (http://s1077.photobucket.com/user/Tunkwa/media/FencelineChukars_zps97b2e6ed.jpg.html)

Cdn-Redneck
07-26-2015, 08:07 PM
I've had the opposite happen, about 25kms from Squamish.

Was thinking, 'Geez, that's a really big dog'. Then I realized it was a wolf stalking MY dogs and got them into the truck. Then the pack started to howl all around us and I realized we were pretty lucky.

You don't usually get much time to point and shoot at a wolf. I probably would have missed the chance at a shot trying to make sure it wasn't a dog. I've been told a curled tail is definitely a dog, some straight tails require more examination.

Thats funny same happened to me.

yamadirt 426
07-26-2015, 08:11 PM

No hunter should be shooting at an dog chasing wildlife for so many reasons.

argyle1
07-27-2015, 04:40 AM
No hunter should be shooting at an dog chasing wildlife for so many reasons.
wow, I can't believe you believe that. Of course a bird dog chasing birds is one thing, or chasing bears, but dogs that chase deer and moose are fair game around here. Packs come out from town on the ice sometimes, and they wear the game down in the winter. Once they get a taste for it they don't quit, then it's either a bullet or a 330 con.

ducktoller
07-27-2015, 11:26 AM
wow, I can't believe you believe that. Of course a bird dog chasing birds is one thing, or chasing bears, but dogs that chase deer and moose are fair game around here. Packs come out from town on the ice sometimes, and they wear the game down in the winter. Once they get a taste for it they don't quit, then it's either a bullet or a 330 con.

It would be illegal to shoot so Yama dirt is right.

Call the CO if you see a problem

ducktoller
07-27-2015, 11:27 AM

It would be illegal to shoot so Yama dirt is right.

Call the CO if you see a problem

Squire
07-27-2015, 11:53 AM
Not legal. Only a Peace Officer can destroy a wildlife chasing dog. That's the law, anyway.

I guess it betrays my age when I recall being taught in CORE that it was not only legal but every hunter's responsibility to destroy any dogs in groups of three or more that were chasing wildlife.

Barracuda
07-27-2015, 12:34 PM
that's never been in the CORE .

Iron Glove
07-27-2015, 12:40 PM

As many here have said, and will continue to say, It's illegal.
Do what you wish but be prepared to suffer the consequences if caught.
"Fair game" may well be a morally justifiable position depending upon the circumstances but morality and legality are often two different things.

BiG Boar
07-27-2015, 01:28 PM
One time I was driving a login road, and there was a black wolf looking dog running through a cut block. I got out and fired 4 shots. It was a wolf and I missed. The next day I saw another one on the road right near there. I sped up to see where it disappeared over a hill. There in the cut block in a depression was a guy cutting firewood. It was his dog this time. I would definitely have a high vis vest on him, his dog was part wolf I'm sure. It was spring bear season, so I bet he didn't think about hunters like in the fall. If the dog had been in the wrong place at the wrong time, he would have taken a bullet from my gun.

The very first wolf pack I shot into, I was sure were someones pet dogs. I couldn't believe they let us get to within 80 yards. They were just laying there. Took a while to convince myself that they were wolves.

finngun
07-27-2015, 02:08 PM
what about a 'dog' or wolf..somebody i know had a 'dog' wolf mix 75% wolf..if i accidentaly kill it in the bush..whose responsab. is that..? i dont think it is mine..:?: that dog looks like wolf..

ruger#1
07-27-2015, 02:59 PM
What about a dog chasing farm animals on private property? I am sure you know what the out come would be.

Iron Glove
07-27-2015, 03:03 PM
What about a dog chasing farm animals on private property? I am sure you know what the out come would be.

Yup but that's a whole different scenario.

ruger#1
07-27-2015, 03:09 PM
Yup but that's a whole different scenario.

Yes we have had that problem a few times already. Talked to the person that owns the dogs. They told us to Fawk Off. We told them if we see your dogs on the property, Then they will be shot. The problem hasn't happened for a while.

wideopenthrottle
07-27-2015, 03:12 PM
I guess it betrays my age when I recall being taught in CORE that it was not only legal but every hunter's responsibility to destroy any dogs in groups of three or more that were chasing wildlife.
man.... I would swear under oath that I was taught the same thing about dogs chasing big game ...not sure I would have ever shot a dog for it but I would have sworn it was legal and that we were encouraged to do it....I did my hunters safety course in 1978 at 12 (almost 13) years old in Ontario though...

ruger#1
07-27-2015, 03:21 PM
man.... I would swear under oath that I was taught the same thing about dogs chasing big game ...not sure I would have ever shot a dog for it but I would have sworn it was legal and that we were encouraged to do it....I did my hunters safety course in 1978 at 12 (almost 13) years old in Ontario though... I gotten mine in that same time frame. And that is the advice the instructor gave us. Back then you didn't have people riding mountain bikes with their dogs, Or much hiking.

ruger#1
07-27-2015, 03:31 PM
Dogs causing injury or damage

11.1 (1) For the purposes of this section, "running at large" does not apply to a dog that is under control by being

(a) on the property of its owner or of another person who has the care and control of the dog,

(b) in direct and continuous charge of a person who is competent to control it,

(c) securely confined within an enclosure, or

(d) securely fastened so that it is unable to roam.

(2) A person may kill a dog if the person finds the dog

(a) running at large, and

(b) attacking or viciously pursuing livestock.

Squire
07-27-2015, 03:39 PM
that's never been in the CORE .

Thanks for your contribution but I am probably better suited to relate my actual experience in the CORE course circa 1977 than you are. It may not have been in the manual but our instructor was very explicit that it was indeed our responsibility as hunters to deal with packs of dogs harassing game. I have never shot at a dog/dogs nor do I disagree that the appropriate course of action is to inform a CO; I am just pointing out a change in attitude over time.

M.Dean
07-27-2015, 03:52 PM
If I could fire safely, I'd shoot your stupid ugly dog in a New York minute if I seen it chasing Deer or Moose around here! If you were within yelling distance, I'd tell you to call your stupid ugly dog,and if you didn't, or it kept after the animals I hunt, by all means I'd do my best to kill it! If you really love your dog and do your best to keep it healthy, then don't let it chase Wildlife or trucks or car's, like I do with my dog! I've lost count of the dog's that have been shot around here because of chasing the ranchers cattle, coming into peoples yards and crapping all over the lawns, tearing the garbage cans apart, killing chickens, tame ducks and geese, much like the dog my neighbor shot of my brothers when I first moved up here!I was looking after it cuz it kept biting his Mailman. We cured the dog of that! And Please, don't tell me you'd take a shot at me after I shot your dog for chasing down wildlife! That Sir, would be the biggest, and last mistake you ever made.

:mad:

M.Dean
07-27-2015, 03:54 PM
Thanks for your contribution but I am probably better suited to relate my actual experience in the CORE course circa 1977 than you are. It may not have been in the manual but our instructor was very explicit that it was indeed our responsibility as hunters to deal with packs of dogs harassing game. I have never shot at a dog/dogs nor do I disagree that the appropriate course of action is to inform a CO; I am just pointing out a change in attitude over time. I was told the same thing by a Firearms Instructor!

07-27-2015, 04:01 PM
If I could fire safely, I'd shoot your stupid ugly dog in a New York minute if I seen it chasing Deer or Moose around here! If you were within yelling distance, I'd tell you to call your stupid ugly dog,and if you didn't, or it kept after the animals I hunt, by all means I'd do my best to kill it! If you really love your dog and do your best to keep it healthy, then don't let it chase Wildlife or trucks or car's, like I do with my dog! I've lost count of the dog's that have been shot around here because of chasing the ranchers cattle, coming into peoples yards and crapping all over the lawns, tearing the garbage cans apart, killing chickens, tame ducks and geese, much like the dog my neighbor shot of my brothers when I first moved up here!I was looking after it cuz it kept biting his Mailman. We cured the dog of that! And Please, don't tell me you'd take a shot at me after I shot your dog for chasing down wildlife! That Sir, would be the biggest, and last mistake you ever made.

lol....
M.Dean, you sir are always a great read!

paw325
07-27-2015, 04:40 PM

What he said x 2 !!!!!

300rum700
07-27-2015, 04:48 PM

Life sure is different past Hope, isn't it? I'm with you and the CO would probably thank you for not wasting their time.

ducktoller
07-27-2015, 05:17 PM
what about a 'dog' or wolf..somebody i know had a 'dog' wolf mix 75% wolf..if i accidentaly kill it in the bush..whose responsab. is that..? i dont think it is mine..:?: that dog looks like wolf..

Are you kidding?? Do you think if you shot a whitetail illegally because it looked like a mule deer that it wouldn't be your fault

300rum700
07-27-2015, 06:04 PM
Are you kidding?? Do you think if you shot a whitetail illegally because it looked like a mule deer that it wouldn't be your fault

There's lots of hybrid mule/whitetail out there. Shit happens.

Big Lew
07-27-2015, 06:50 PM
During the sixty's I was friends with the local Game Warden and he said to me
and many others in our community that he wanted us to shoot any and all dogs
chasing deer because it was a big problem throughout the whole area at the time.
Apparently a few families of Indigenous people had packs of dogs that they let run
free, and as they seldom ever fed them, the dogs would chase down any and all
birds and animals they could, including deer and some domestic stock. They didn't
have any control over them and never had them neutered so they multiplied at will.

ruger#1
07-27-2015, 07:35 PM
During the sixty's I was friends with the local Game Warden and he said to me
and many others in our community that he wanted us to shoot any and all dogs
chasing deer because it was a big problem throughout the whole area at the time.
Apparently a few families of Indigenous people had packs of dogs that they let run
free, and as they seldom ever fed them, the dogs would chase down any and all
birds and animals they could, including deer and some domestic stock. They didn't
have any control over them and never had them neutered so they multiplied at will.

Sumas Mountain was one of those places.

ruger#1
07-27-2015, 07:37 PM

Wolves are closer then you think. I know of three that were shot. Two in Dewdney and one in Deroche. If there is a wolf season. Then it would be a good idea of leaving your wolf hybrid home.

Squire
07-27-2015, 08:12 PM

DT, you wouldn't be so sure of yourself if you had much experience with wolves. They aren't all grey like the ones you see on TV and can be found in colour phases that you wouldn't expect. I have seen wolves in a pack of several that included black, white, grey and mottled brown individuals. I ran over a juvenile in the Elaho Valley with my pick-up when it darted out of the ditch and I thought it was someone's German Shepherd until I had a closer inspection. I crossed tracks with a large, lone white wolf with a kidney-shaped black patch on one haunch while hunting deer and again near the same area the following spring. I saw two buckskin coloured wolves just last summer. In the alpine once I had a buddy say, "Hey there's a goat chasing a bear". I brought up my binos to see a white and a black wolf - the contrast was that stark (and he still hasn't lived that down:)). I have seen them scruffy and I have seen them with beautiful coats. What I am getting at here is that the more wolves I see in the field the more it makes discerning a wolf-like dog from a wolf difficult, not the other way around.

I know an experienced alpine hunter who has taken a few wolves over the years and he told me an unsettling story. He was hunting in the alpine one September and spotted a 'wolf' about 300 yards away as it came out from behind a ridge. He got prone to line up the shot and just as he put his finger on the trigger two hikers came around the corner into his field of view. It was some kind of Husky-mutt with no collar. He was really shook up about it and just exited the area without engaging the hikers.

ducktoller
07-27-2015, 08:28 PM
Wolves are closer then you think. I know of three that were shot. Two in Dewdney and one in Deroche. If there is a wolf season. Then it would be a good idea of leaving your wolf hybrid home.

I agree it's a good idea to leave them at home. I deck my dog out in a lot of orange (or leave her home) anywhere near an open season that involves coyotes or fox as she could be mistaken for both. It's still a hunter's fault if they misidentify wildlife.

DT, you wouldn't be so sure of yourself if you had much experience with wolves. They aren't all grey like the ones you see on TV and can be found in colour phases that you wouldn't expect. I have seen wolves in a pack of several that included black, white, grey and mottled brown individuals. I ran over a juvenile in the Elaho Valley with my pick-up when it darted out of the ditch and I thought it was someone's German Shepherd until I had a closer inspection. I crossed tracks with a large, lone white wolf with a kidney-shaped black patch on one haunch while hunting deer and again near the same area the following spring. I saw two buckskin coloured wolves just last summer. In the alpine once I had a buddy say, "Hey there's a goat chasing a bear". I brought up my binos to see a white and a black wolf - the contrast was that stark (and he still hasn't lived that down:)). I have seen them scruffy and I have seen them with beautiful coats. What I am getting at here is that the more wolves I see in the field the more it makes discerning a wolf-like dog from a wolf difficult, not the other way around.

I know an experienced alpine hunter who has taken a few wolves over the years and he told me an unsettling story. He was hunting in the alpine one September and spotted a 'wolf' about 300 yards away as it came out from behind a ridge. He got prone to line up the shot and just as he put his finger on the trigger two hikers came around the corner into his field of view. It was some kind of Husky-mutt with no collar. He was really shook up about it and just exited the area without engaging the hikers.

How is that relevant to it still being the hunter's responsibility to identify their game accurately. If you can't identify your target 100% you should not be taking the shot.

Squire
07-27-2015, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=

How is that relevant to it still being the hunter's responsibility to identify their game accurately. If you can't identify your target 100% you should not be taking the shot.[/QUOTE]

You don't think the difficulty in discerning the two because wolves don't all look the same is relevant? If during wolf season a hunter shoots a wolf-like dog unattended in the wild while wearing neither a collar nor high-vis, I believe the owner is at least as culpable as the hunter.

After observing more than a hundred of them while hiking/hunting/working I find that there are some wolves that simply aren't that distinct from dogs while others are more obvious. Like you I believe that a hunter is ultimately responsible for identifying his target. My experience allows me to understand how even a veteran hunter could make this particular mistake.

finngun
07-27-2015, 09:55 PM
S.S.S. works with dogs chasing a deer ..etc....by the way indians have very smart idea getting rid of unwanted dogs..just heavy duty rag tighten of the truck wheel nuts ..and trolling thrugh village.. snaps-snaps..dogs are attacing the rag..and end of the doggis life..smart..:mrgreen:

tackdriver
07-28-2015, 04:54 AM
Ive almost shot my own dog a few times........
Lol I can relate...

caddisguy
07-28-2015, 07:58 AM

Last fall we were still hunting some old growth timber where we had seen a limping cougar on cam. Also the morning prior, we had a little bit of a confrontation with (dont laugh) a large bobcat that managed to stalk in within a few yards... a little on edge.

Well we heard some commotion and caught glimpses (brush around the tree line about 30 yards of timber) of multiple fairly big critters darting about the brush along the treeline, occasionally into the timber. It didn't make sense. They seemed to be "hunting in a pack". I doubted a cougar with youngins and wolves are very rarely reported in the region particularly outside of winter spring. Too big to be coyotes. Had bear spray, a 10/22 with 25 rounds and gf has her 30-06 so I wasn't particulary worried. Hunting dogs crossed my mind and shortly after we heard whistling which confirmed it. Wouldn't say we "almost" shot anything... not even close to chambering a round but we did get a dose of adreneline in this case of mistaken identity.

We caught up with them (3 hunters, 3 dogs) a short while later and asked if it was them. Confirmed. I think they felt bad for giving us a scare but totally unwarranted as we have a good sense of humor and it was the most excitment we had all day!! lol bs'd for a few and tipped them off to where we'd last seen birds. One of the reasons I love hunting is that something exciting an out of the orindary happens more trips than not.

Seems like dogs get shot every year. I can't imagine pulling the trigger let alone pointing a rifle at something without being sure. That said, if I had a husky I wouldn't let it run around the bush in season without some kind of reflective vest.

Glenny
07-28-2015, 08:17 AM
Was out at Brunswick point and someone still took a shot at my dog. Trust me...High viz doesn't work.

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p567/g-rock2/a8d71bcc3e39872907ef7776c93e7bbc_zpsxot6jvca.jpg

wideopenthrottle
07-28-2015, 08:19 AM
Was out at Brunswick point and someone still took a shot at my dog. Trust me...High viz doesn't work.

http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p567/g-rock2/a8d71bcc3e39872907ef7776c93e7bbc_zpsxot6jvca.jpg

I think most of would shoot your dog if it looked like that...heheheh...then look to shoot the owner too...heheheh

Glenny
07-28-2015, 08:23 AM
But but...waddaya mean man. No yer right..lemme have it, if the dog doesn't get me first.