PDA

View Full Version : Stoves and cots

zpruden
07-25-2015, 11:13 AM
So a while back I posted about tents I was looking to buy. I ended up going with the big horn 3 with the vestibule, all in all I'm pretty happy with my buy. I have set it up and used it a few times this summer with the family and have figured out a few tricks to setting it up. Know I am looking at getting a stove and some cots for the tent, and am wondering what other people use?

So I am looking for info on a good stove to put in there, and if anyone out there has any experience with the disc-o-bunk bed cots

Zach

srupp
07-25-2015, 01:40 PM
Hmm Cabelas..their top line cot very comfortable! Built to hold 1200 pounds sturdy..
Steven

longwalk
07-25-2015, 01:49 PM
Had the Cabelas Alaskan Guide cots. They were nice, fairly heavy but sturdy. Sold them this year and bought the disc o bed bunk set. Have not used them yet in camp, but I set the tent up and put all my gear in. The extra room the bunk system gives you is very nice. I find them to be more comfortable than the cots.

longwalk
07-25-2015, 01:56 PM
I use the Outfitter model of the Cylinder stove with the five gallon water jacket. Load it up with dry Larch and it will keep a slow burn for most of the night with a good bed of coals left in the morning. Previously had a Riley stove, nice and light but not particularly airtight. Never held heat for more than a few hours at night. Usually was up a couple of times to stoke it.

nelsonob1
07-25-2015, 02:31 PM
I have the Cabelas guide cots and the disco cots. both are comfortable, especially with foam mattress (also cabelas). the disco is a big space saver. we have four sleeping in a 12*12 alaknak tent (yes I am a walking cabelas advert).

BromBones
07-25-2015, 02:38 PM
If you don't do much cooking on the stovetop then the home hardware tin stoves work fine (Great West metal). A layer of sand/gravel in the bottom keeps them from burning out and a coat of wd-40 for storage and they'll last a long time. They're fairly cheap and work fine.

mikeboehm
07-25-2015, 02:42 PM
Outbound xl cots for me great cot

REMINGTON JIM
07-25-2015, 02:49 PM
Hmm Cabelas..their top line cot very comfortable! Built to hold 1200 pounds sturdy..
Steven

You get any bigger they will have to reinforce yours ! :wink: LOL RJ

eatmeathuntmoose
07-25-2015, 05:21 PM
found a post on craigslist under RVs and Camp. A guy out in Chilliwack has some pretty cool looking brand new stoves for $300. Haven't checked it out as I'm already in the process of building my own, but they look nice...

tomahawk
07-25-2015, 05:21 PM
lots of capacity and burns all night on those - 15 hunts with everyone adding would when they take a leak. Unless your space restricted or physically not average a normal $100 cot is all you need.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/SAM_2604_zps3cdabc74.jpg

250 sav
07-25-2015, 06:33 PM
Outbound xl cots for me great cot

x2 but I put a thin foam on it

Ohwildwon
07-25-2015, 07:20 PM
These guys are based in Surrey....

http://skyview.myshopify.com/products/heavy-duty-cast-iron-hunting-stove

eatmeathuntmoose
07-25-2015, 08:58 PM
weird...that one looks identical to the one I mentioned before on craigslist for $300...but its priced for over $400

cmac
07-25-2015, 10:00 PM
I bought the disco bunk cots, work great very sturdy

Nimrod
07-26-2015, 06:48 AM
If space and weight is a concern these are great cots.
there's a larger model as well.
http://www.deakin.com/products/Details.aspx?p=1025&c=1&g=2

rec
07-26-2015, 07:33 AM
I use a folding cot bought at a second hand store 30 yrs ago used every yr since on all kinds of hunts still very comfortable no name metal folding with foam I sleep better in my wall tent then at home ,,stove wise I've used home build and cabala's and the Home Hardware GSW all work great I actualy have a GSW for sale $50.

zpruden
07-26-2015, 05:47 PM
Do you have any pics of the stove, I might know someone that is looking to buy said stove.
Thanks for the info everyone, I'm thinking that the disco beds are the way to go, might have four of us out there this fall

rec
07-26-2015, 09:11 PM
looks just like the one pictured in this thread I have pics but can't download thanks

klondikemike
07-26-2015, 09:20 PM
I use one like Tomahawks pic, but i find the legs too flimsy. I made a stand for it that also holds the three sections of chimney out of angle iron, flat bar, and expanded metal. The elbow , metal pipe ring and 2 slightly shortened stove pipes fit in the stove for storage and transport.

albravo2
07-29-2015, 05:33 AM
I just bought a couple Roll-a-Cots from Deakin Outfitters. They were C$129, compared to US$129 on Amazon.com and they were delivered by Purolator two days later even though I didn't pay extra for express shipping.

I have a couple really cushy fold out cots that I will continue to use but the Roll-a-Cot is perfect when you want to be light and compact. I think they weight 10 lbs and fold up into a nice bag. Basically, they are just tightly stretched nylon, so I'll use a sleeping pad underneath for comfort and insulation.

hunter1947
07-29-2015, 06:12 AM
Take my advise an get one built from some one that knows how to build them much better then a store bought stove as for a cots I use a timberlands cots with a 3 inch foam for the top of it I sleep like I am on clouds..

Kalum
07-29-2015, 06:53 AM
We've the disc o cots. Super heavy but best sleeping cots I've ever had. Get the extender set though to give a little more room.

markt308
07-29-2015, 07:24 AM
I bought my last tent stove from a guy on this site. goes by Hermit i'm pretty sure. i did a lot of research and looking around. got him to custom make it and we have loved using it the past 2 seasons. nice flat top, air tight yada yada. it's great. I can try and dig up some photos later when i get home if you like.
as for cots, I think i spent $30 haha. and it gets the job done. if you buy one that isn't that comfy, just have 1-2 more whiskeys before bed and then it will actually become more comfortable.

hunter1947
07-29-2015, 08:43 AM
I bought my last tent stove from a guy on this site. goes by Hermit i'm pretty sure. i did a lot of research and looking around. got him to custom make it and we have loved using it the past 2 seasons. nice flat top, air tight yada yada. it's great. I can try and dig up some photos later when i get home if you like.
as for cots, I think i spent $30 haha. and it gets the job done. if you buy one that isn't that comfy, just have 1-2 more whiskeys before bed and then it will actually become more comfortable.

LOL or dead tired getting you elk or you partners out days end or all night LOL

atvone
07-29-2015, 10:20 AM
I have a bighorn tent that I have used for about 9 years. I purchased it from Cabelas and it came with an Alaskan wood stove (12"x12"x24") which is about the perfect size for the tent. I would not go with a large stove that gets cherry red hot as the tent is a thinner fabric. Make sure you get the roof liner to protect the top of the tent from sparks or embers. My tent has served me well and is lighter and easier to set up then a traditional wall tent.

markt308
07-29-2015, 11:11 AM
Here is a photo of the stove that Hermit did for us. you can choose the thickness of the stove, and dimensions as well. we lined the inside with bricks and when it is stoked and damped down it burns for 7-8 hours depending on the type of wood we burn. His company is Vantage Point Outfitters and I gotta say he was great to deal with. Even emailed me after the season to ask how it worked out.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i18/markgthompson/P1050419_zpsl5mf9xh5.jpg (http://s68.photobucket.com/user/markgthompson/media/P1050419_zpsl5mf9xh5.jpg.html)

zpruden
07-29-2015, 03:08 PM
Are they out of Creston BC

tomahawk
07-29-2015, 03:14 PM
I use one like Tomahawks pic, but i find the legs too flimsy. I made a stand for it that also holds the three sections of chimney out of angle iron, flat bar, and expanded metal. The elbow , metal pipe ring and 2 slightly shortened stove pipes fit in the stove for storage and transport.

That's a weekness for sure. I'm careful with them and they make it 10 yrs. I store 6 lengths of pipe inside the stove as well. Keeps my 14 x 18 comfy

zpruden
07-29-2015, 05:08 PM
a bit more to add. does anyone have any contacts for people who make wood stove in the Vernon Kelowna area

markt308
07-30-2015, 06:18 PM
a bit more to add. does anyone have any contacts for people who make wood stove in the Vernon Kelowna area]

Vantage Point Outfitters (Hermit on this site)