PDA

View Full Version : Queen Charlottes Aug 8-11, what to do?

albravo2
07-23-2015, 12:59 PM
My wife is flying some clients to Massett on Aug 8 where she will sit until they come back on the 12th. I'm thinking I should airline up and join her.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for hunting/fishing/adventure. I see bucks are open.

Should I bring a crab trap? Fly rod?

Anywhere to rent a boat or mostly just charters? Recommended charter company?

Any advice appreciated.

Greg
07-23-2015, 09:48 PM
You can rent gear for chasing crabs on north beach from the surf shop. Go out at low tide with chest waders on and have a hoot. You can also get shovels from Mike at the surf shop and dig a few clams. You cant rent boats that I know of but there are charters for $1000 a day, 11 hours from dock to dock no real limit on people just two downriggers though. If you get a few people its not bad. The fishing for springs has been crazy good this year. Some people have been getting up to 60 springs in a day. Wiah point adventures is a good outfit to call then go from there. Most people drive the logging roads out toward Dinan bay. Glass cut blocks. If I were you though I would go sight seeing to the areas and things that interest you and pop the bucks you see while doing that.

REMINGTON JIM
07-23-2015, 09:56 PM
Try this one ! :biggrin: RJ

http://www.gerrysfishingcharter.ca/

Caribou_lou
07-23-2015, 10:30 PM
You can probably catch coho off the docks that time of year! Giver a go and let us know how it is!

Greg
07-23-2015, 10:51 PM
When my dad was visiting it was too windy to take the boat out so he said he was going to catch a spring off the village dock. I said it was a waste of time.....he caught one. People have caught halibut over 100lbs off that dock but not me.

604ksmith
07-23-2015, 10:56 PM
If I were you though I would go sight seeing to the areas and things that interest you and pop the bucks you see while doing that.

Listen to all of Greg's advice. HG is such a wild place that as you go about your touristy activities, you'll run into fish and game. Go to the beaches and get your fill of seafood, and as you're doing such be prepared to take a 15 minute drive down a logging road on a whim and you may just get a buck. I don't want to get your hopes up, but as of February this year the deer are still everywhere.

Then at the end of the trip, write up a nice story with some amazing pictures and share it for all to see. Enjoy!

ncurrie
07-23-2015, 10:58 PM
you could go and talk to Chris but he's down in Sandpit, other wise its a cute town and everyone is friendly someone up there will give you what info you are looking for!

matt420
07-24-2015, 06:35 AM
go fishing I have fished the charlottes and was soo amazing unexplainable amazing drop the line off the back of the boat and you have a 25 pound plus spring salmon

albravo2
07-24-2015, 08:35 PM
Thanks everybody. Bought my ticket today.

I'll load the wife's plane up with coolers and gear.

Very excited. Will post if I get some good photos. Thanks again!

Pangaea
07-27-2015, 10:58 AM
I forgot to press 'send' on this on Friday...

The deer are small, but tasty and plentiful. When I was there in June, I just hunted from first light (4:30 ish) to about 8 or 9AM and got at least one every day. Left the rest of the day to explore, fish, etc. As others have said, the fishing is pretty incredible and though I didn't do it because I had my dog with me, I would definitely fish next time. Tides have to be pretty low for success with crabs on North beach. The museum in Skidegate is pretty cool. Bonanza beach on Rennell Sound is awesome. I would suggest a drive from Massett down to Rennell, hunting the spurs along the way, looping back through QCC and stopping for dinner at the Ocean(side?, view?) Restaurant for dinner on the way back - a long day... If you bring a rifle, you are pretty much guaranteed a deer. At $10 per tag and no impact on the rest of your provincial limit, its a gift... I had the feeling (though I was only there for a week) that the hunting was better on Moresby. I was told by a local that the Super Valu in Sandspit will hang in their cooler, as long as the deer is clean...

albravo2
07-27-2015, 11:26 AM
Pangea, how far were the shots?

I'd like to take my 45-70 just because it is the easiest gun to pack around. I'm fairly sure it is enough gun, but with open sights and middle aged eyes I probably won't pull the trigger on anything off in the distance.

Pangaea
07-28-2015, 07:15 AM
40-60 yards. No problem... Good luck!