PDA

View Full Version : Spooling a spinning reel properly

FourOhs
07-22-2015, 08:36 AM
I'm asking this question in response to this reply (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?119227-Trolling-for-trout-with-a-spinning-reel&p=1661437#post1661437) to Rainsford's question about trolling with a spinning rod.

most guys don't spool a spinning reel properly either, doesn't help with the line twist before you even hit the water

So, what then is the proper way to spool a spinning reel? I'll admit I hadn't really thought about this before. (Although, like I said over in that other thread, I tend to replace line when it's dirty and/or perishing before it gets to the point of being too twisted.) I'm thinking spooling correctly has to do with aligning the spool of line to be loaded with the direction the spinning reel is going to wind the line on.

So, just sticking the spool of line on a pencil so that it rolls on the pencil and winding it onto the reel is going to introduce some twist. And I can imagine that if you keep the face of the spool facing the reel you're going to either get it right, or introduce even more twist by having it come off the spool in the wrong direction.

Have I got the basic premise right here?

07-22-2015, 10:16 AM
place the spool of line flat on the floor and reel.... dont run a pencil through and hold it........
When spooling a levelwind, place a pencil through and reel....

it is all about the orientation of the spool of line and the reel's spool.....
you also need to apply propper pressure,, too little and it will knot up,,, too much,, when you cast it, the tension will release and then the spool will be too full...
as well,, dont fill it up too much and dont use line that it too heavy ... otherwise it will blow off the spool like a spring...

BRvalley
07-22-2015, 10:30 AM
835 explained it nicely and lots of info if you google, youtube videos, etc....using the pencil method with a spinning reel you are putting twist in your line right from the get go....I think this is also magnified with lower end spinning reels with a poor roller in the bail arm

if you notice at a tackle shop with a line spooling station, they take the spool off the reel to fill with line, often times the price is the exact same if you have them spool up for you, or even a bit cheaper

also, a lot of spinning reels come with washers that go on the spool shaft, I like a forward taper on my spinning reels, slightly helps with casting distance and wind knots

FourOhs
07-22-2015, 11:22 AM
OK, so I do have the basic idea right... but with the spool laying on the floor, does it not matter if the line is coming off clockwise or counter-clockwise, depending on which way my spinning reel is winding the line on? I would think that one way would be right, and the other would introduce exactly double the twist of using a pencil.

Either way, yeah, it's important to get it right. YouTube, here I come...

Thank guys.

adriaticum
07-22-2015, 11:26 AM
Put it on, the same way it comes off.

Sofa King
07-22-2015, 01:07 PM
spool it with braid and fuggettaboutit.

MichelD
07-22-2015, 01:16 PM
My wife bought me a really nice spinning reel and rod set at a yard sale for $3.00 once because "it just doesn't work right." She was told. It unwound when you turned the handle.

Someone had hand wound the line on the spool the wrong way around.

BRvalley
07-22-2015, 01:20 PM
braid still twists, although more forgiving than mono, but will tip wrap like crazy when it gets to that point

BRvalley
07-22-2015, 01:23 PM
My wife bought me a really nice spinning reel and rod set at a yard sale for $3.00 once because "it just doesn't work right." She was told. It unwound when you turned the handle.

Someone had hand wound the line on the spool the wrong way around.

LOL...I picked up a GL2 with a Calais baitcaster for dirtcheap off craigslist, because it "didn't cast worth shit"...the reel was actually mounted upside down on the rod

07-22-2015, 02:36 PM
with the spool laying on the floor, does it not matter if the line is coming off clockwise or counter-clockwise,
Thank guys.

i have never paid attention to clock wise or not.. in the billion spools of line i have put on reels that has never mattered,,,,,,
orientation, tension,capacity and line weight to spoon design... those are the big factors...

HIGHRPM
07-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Here is a real good vid that explains it real well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shOXINzTGV8

Johnny G1
07-22-2015, 05:16 PM
Why didn't somebody tell me that when I bought all the gear at WSS, would have saved a lot of grief.

Rainsford
07-22-2015, 05:43 PM
The first thing I did after reading comments about spooling a spinning reel was find a good quality youtube video on it.

Here's a link to what seems like a good instructional demonstration to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkyGPl0k_AE

07-23-2015, 09:24 AM
lol,,,,,
why you guys going to youtube! its not rocket science! hell i did it without youtube when i was 10.....

FourOhs
07-23-2015, 10:09 AM
lol,,,,,
why you guys going to youtube! its not rocket science! hell i did it without youtube when i was 10.....
Yep, so did I. This thread is just about optimizing the loading of the line to minimize twisting. I've never done anything but just load it on "however works" before and I've caught fish all my life. :)

07-23-2015, 10:16 AM
ya i know.... lol.. still not Rocket science! Just do it man! Nike the Fricken thing!