PDA

View Full Version : ISO: CORE course in Vernon/Kelowna, or even Kamloops or Penticton

FourOhs
07-21-2015, 08:24 PM
After a couple attempts at getting into a CORE course here in Vernon back in June and July, I'm now seeking a CORE course (preferably on a weekend) anywhere from Penticton to Kamloops. I think I've exhausted my leads here in Vernon, and am hoping that maybe someone out there knows of an instructor teaching within a reasonable drive.

Yes, I can take the course online at huntercourse.com. No, that's not my preferred method of learning. I feel that I learn and retain more with in-person instruction.

Anyone? Beuhler? Beuhler?

I'm out of town August 8-9, but I'd be grateful if anyone has any leads.

Cheers!

mike-juliet
07-21-2015, 08:30 PM
I've stepped away from teaching the course away from the coast temporarily for several reasons. I do wish you the best of luck in finding a local instructor and it's unfortunate that my course in July didn't work out. Alec Farquharson (250-376-3596) has been teaching out of Kamloops for a Long, Long Time and has a very good reputation within the CORE Examiner community. Give him a call and hopefully he will be able to run a course that fits your schedule as you will be coming from Vernon. From what I recall you are sometimes down here on the coast. I am still doing courses locally in Cloverdale but unfortunately I don't think this will fit into your schedule, if you can make it down my offer still stands.
Matt

landphil
07-21-2015, 08:40 PM
You been in touch with Jim Parfrey here in Vernon?

FourOhs
07-21-2015, 08:57 PM
Thanks, Matt. I understand that without the attendees' commitment of sending payment first you're the one taking the risk of showing up to an empty room. I don't think I'll be able to make it to a course down in Cloverdale, particularly mid-week. I'll check with Alec Farquharson, thanks.

landphil, when I called Jim back in early June he mentioned he was running a course in August but, if I recall correctly, it directly collides with my one weekend out of town. I'll check with him again. Perhaps he has moved that weekend, or opened up another.

On another note, Jim did mention that for a group of 6 or more he would run an ad hoc weekend course. Are there five of you guys within range around Vernon who would like to join up to commission a course with him?

LupieHunter
07-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Contact Kerry at the BCWF office. She handles all the core stuff and should be able to put you in touch with someone.

FourOhs
07-21-2015, 09:00 PM
Contact Kerry at the BCWF office. She handles all the core stuff and should be able to put you in touch with someone.That's a good suggestion too, LupieHunter. Thank you. I'll give her a call tomorrow too.

LupieHunter
07-21-2015, 09:01 PM
No problem!

monasheemountainman
07-21-2015, 09:09 PM
http://bcwf.net/files/CORE_Examiner_Contact_List_Most_Recent.pdf

Here you go, list of examiners in bc

monasheemountainman
07-21-2015, 09:12 PM
Chuck hardy is probably one of the more frequent examiners....and he is pretty entertaining

FourOhs
07-21-2015, 09:21 PM
Ahhh, thank you, Mr. Monashee. That list will keep me busy on the phone tomorrow.

Doug Palmer
07-21-2015, 09:40 PM
I recently took the core course at Salmon Arm Fish and Game club. Trevor Holmes is a great instructor.

Rub
07-21-2015, 09:45 PM
Trevor is running a course this weekend. 25-26th

.300WSMImpact!
07-21-2015, 10:13 PM
Chuck hardy is probably one of the more frequent examiners....and he is pretty entertaining

X2 chuck is a great guy

FourOhs
07-27-2015, 06:39 AM
Thanks, guys. Got my CORE done yesterday with Chuck. His instruction was entertaining, if a bit meandering.

I was glad I read the primary chapters of the CORE manual before going. And, if you take the class with him, remember that he is teaching exactly and only what's on the exam, not what's current or legal. In fact, he was conscientiously avoiding anything in the synopsis and CORE manual that was new or had changed since the exams were published. Fair enough, I say, but I definitely also want to know what's current, not just how to get a 'P' on the five year old exam.

07-27-2015, 07:47 AM
Thanks, guys. Got my CORE done yesterday with Chuck. His instruction was entertaining, if a bit meandering.

I was glad I read the primary chapters of the CORE manual before going. And, if you take the class with him, remember that he is teaching exactly and only what's on the exam, not what's current or legal. In fact, he was conscientiously avoiding anything in the synopsis and CORE manual that was new or had changed since the exams were published. Fair enough, I say, but I definitely also want to know what's current, not just how to get a 'P' on the five year old exam.

Congrats on your core. Interesting comment, the core or pal were never designed to make anyone anything, the purpose is to teach wannabe gun handling types safety and conservation principles in the bush, and of course another tax grab to let us know we are still loved by our dear gubbermint........the rest is up to the individual. Safety hasn 't changed since some of us wrote it 20 years ago, in fact the original core cards were mailed out to resident hunters, there was no course. Why would an instructor teach material that isn't on the exam.........policy changes come and go but the basic safety rules remain the same, one would think when a new exam is introduced the appropriate material will be taught. You were there to learn what is required to satisfy the gov't rules for compliance regarding safe gun handling and conservation laws, seeing how you were successful, l would say Chuck did his part! :)