PDA

View Full Version : Ammunition suggestions

Wagonmaster
07-21-2015, 02:17 PM
I've been using Winchester Supreme Accubond ammunition for a few years now. It has a red polymer tip which I like because it doesn't get dinged or misshapen like some bullets. It is also accurate and seemed to do the job quite nicely. It seems to be impossible to get now, so I need to make a change and would like to stay with a polymer tip. Cost is not a factor as I don't do a lot of range work so only fire off a few rounds each year. I primarily hunt deer and moose. I am interested in 30.06 in 180 gr. Suggestions for a readily available brand would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Boner
07-21-2015, 02:39 PM
Nosler Trophy Grade has 180 Accubonds in 30-06. Paying more for the name I bet, but it's the same bullets you're used to, maybe a different velocity.

russm86
07-21-2015, 02:54 PM
Unless you handload, I think the big issue you will find is the "readily available" part. Doesn't seem to matter what you are after these days its there one day and gone the next and no one knows when it will be seen again. You're best bet is to just pick something that is in stock at one of your local shops and buy a whole bunch of it or buy a couple boxes or whatever you think will last you for sighting in and hunting for the year then do the same next year with whatever you can find at that time. I don't think you will find much that is consistently available everywhere all the time these days.

BRrooster
07-21-2015, 05:45 PM
I'd say IMHO that if you are not shooting "long" range, a slightly misshapen lead tip is not going to matter much at reasonable hunting shot distances. Buy
something that will hold together and deliver an acceptable result for your moose shooting and be comfortable. For your own satisfaction, try this, cut the
tip off of a couple of bullets with a side cutter and try a five shot group at 100 yards. If they are not all in a 9inch pie plate I owe you a beer.
Cheers
Bruce

300wsmBrowning
07-21-2015, 07:54 PM
Give federal fusion 165's a try. I use them in my 300wsm for elk muley and white tails, 225's in my 338 win mag for moose. Never let me down and pretty reasonable price. High weight retention and don't seem to ever frag.

warnniklz
07-21-2015, 09:14 PM
I like Hornady superformance loaded with 165 grain GMX out of my 30_06... but everything else gets nosler trophy ammo with accubonds.. except my 325wsm... it'll get the odd box of winchester supreme, still tosding accubonds.

ian745
07-22-2015, 09:40 AM
federal fusions are good, same with the standard fed blue box, (im biased, and wont shoot anything but federal.lol), i hand load for 2 rifles, but both of them use fed fusion as the back up factory loads with decent results

AlexPdHJ
07-22-2015, 09:55 AM
My Browning X-Bolt .30-06 loves Federal Blue Box and Barnes VOR-TX in 180gr. I can shoot them sub MOA all day. However, I would try a bunch of different brands and types of ammo cheap to expensive to find out what shoots best out of your rifle. It surprised me how differently different ammo fired out of mine. Cost had nothing to do with accuracy as you can see from my recommendations.