PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep a turkey after the kill??

browningboy
04-22-2007, 03:13 PM
I'm just curious, how does one handle the turkey after a kill so it doesn't spoil? as with most is gutted, skinned and hung, what about a turkey, thinking of chasing one this fall but need to know what to do with the thing afterwards so it doesn't go bad, what and how do you keep it while you hunt for a few more days and its 15deg? (sept hunt or whatever).
Please enlighten me?8)

300H&H
04-22-2007, 03:57 PM
I had the same question this morning after I got my tom. You are thinking ahead. Wish I did.
I called Bear Creek Sports. If you want it mounted stick it in the freezer (I only thought of it after I was cuttin into the bird. If your going to eat it then they said dont bother gutting it just cut out the breasts. He did say the legs are very tough an not to bother with them. But I hate to waste any meat so I saved them ( lots of meat that could be in a stir fry). As far as 3-4 days in the bush, you should bring a cooler & ice. keep it closed & in the shade.
These birds are a ton of fun. Enjoy your hunt.

mark
04-22-2007, 09:07 PM
We cleaned out ours and drove up to the snowline and packed it into a snowbank. If not pack it in a cooler with lots of ice! Do take the legs, theres lots of meat on em, theyre not that bad!

browningboy
04-24-2007, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys, just didn't want to get one and not know what to do with it.:roll:

happygilmore
04-26-2007, 08:53 PM
We put ours in a platic tote and put it in the creek so the bottom 6" was in the creek and it kept cool for 4 days no problems.