PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on spotting scopes

JPG
07-20-2015, 06:00 PM
This will be my first spotting scope purchase.
Wondering what you guys recommend keeping in mind
I'm looking for something relatively compact so
I can pack it around as well.
Any info is appreciated.
Regards, JPG

Gateholio
07-20-2015, 06:20 PM
What's your price range? Recommendations are useless without that.

JPG
07-20-2015, 06:34 PM
How about under 800$

Lastcar
07-20-2015, 07:02 PM
Vortex Nomad is a very decent entry level spotter. I went from that to the Razor HD 11-33 x 50mm and 20-60 x 85 this year.

so far quite liking the small one. Not sure you'd find one new under $800 but used I'd think so. Not everyone loves it so get your mitts on one before committing. But I find it A Ok for the weight and space it takes up.

Still getting the hang of the 85. Have used in the alpine and found it great and saw the value in it. Lower down in the timber and cut blocks it's not as useful of course. Got a helluva a deal on it so snapped it up. If I go for goat or sheep this year it'll earn. It's keep.

Another spotter that gets a ton of love from hunters south of us is the Endeavour 65 and 82. Those will easily fit I your budget, so maybe do some research on those.

monasheemountainman
07-20-2015, 07:19 PM
Vortex viper, or even better a slightly used leupold GR compact

Jagermeister
07-20-2015, 07:38 PM
Buy a Swarovski instead of buying other brands because eventually you're going to get the Swarovski. This way you will save yourself a whole lot of money in the end.

Ferenc
07-20-2015, 08:32 PM
I use a Baush & Lomb 15-45 x 60 elite .... Can be found on the used market for a good price.. Whatever you decide make sure you purchase a rubber armoured one.

todbartell
07-20-2015, 10:42 PM
Id try to find a used Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 for that price. That should leave some room in the budget for a good tripod which is key

.264winmag
07-22-2015, 08:38 AM
Used leu gold ring 12-40x60 could be had for $800 or less. Far from top end spotter but quality, light compact and bulletproof. Rubber eyecup is only downfall...

JPG
07-24-2015, 11:24 AM
Thx for all the info guys. Gonna keep searching for a used one.

swampthing
07-24-2015, 03:39 PM
I second the bauch n laumb elite. I ran a 15x45 for years and it worked well. Recently picked up a leupold 15x30 compact. Its just a touch clearer and lighter than the B&L.

Fisher-Dude
07-24-2015, 04:07 PM
Buy a Swarovski instead of buying other brands because eventually you're going to get the Swarovski. This way you will save yourself a whole lot of money in the end.

Best advice on this whole thread.

604ksmith
07-24-2015, 04:34 PM
Id try to find a used Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 for that price. That should leave some room in the budget for a good tripod which is key

I have this setup and think quite highly of it. It's certainly no Swaro, Leica, or Zeiss, but for under $1,000 it does the job. Just about the only issue I have with a Vortex Viper HD 15-45x65 is it's hard to get clarity when looking at shooting paper past 200 yards and phoneskoping on high zoom is a bit dark.

I'd still recommend it.

BgBlkDg
07-24-2015, 04:40 PM
With your budgetary constraints, you would be well advised to seek out a pre-owned Leupold Compact as others have suggested and the B&L is another sound choice. Then, if and when you know that you are in it for the long term, and can afford it, buy a Zeiss, Leica or Swaro and learn to use it properly.

I would listen to the advice from those with decades of actual BC bush experience and not to the "experts" from whose "knowledge" comes from reading various forums.

I have had B&L, Leupold and Leica spotters and used a number of others in both my employment and for recreation for nearly 40 years and my (slight) preference is Leica. I also have Zeiss optics, the German ones and have used lots of Swaros, nothing else equals the Euro. *big three*, IME.

If, you find a really minty Leupie, keep it even if you finally buy a Swaro, a spare is nice to have and I regret selling mine.

ACB
07-24-2015, 05:11 PM
I second the bauch n laumb elite. I ran a 15x45 for years and it worked well. Recently picked up a leupold 15x30 compact. Its just a touch clearer and lighter than the B&L.
If you can find a "Old" Bushnell Spacemaster from Japan not China used in good shape they are very good scopes. I have a 22 power wide angle lens and the 15-45 zoom lens that I use in my old spacemaster. The 22 power wide angle you can look through all day and when you see something of interest pop the zoom in. I'v look at the leupold compacts and other compacts and to me they just don't seem to have the light gathering capability of a scope with a larger objective lens. The high end spotters are great scopes but if you are on a budget I'd rather spend the big buck's on high end Bino's. Good luck on your search.

BgBlkDg
07-25-2015, 03:40 AM
Very sound advice, I have used the old Bushnell binos and spotters and agree; the only constraint is the weight in mountain hunting.

.330 Dakota
07-25-2015, 07:21 AM
I have a Nikon, and I quite like it,,,clearer than my buddies Leupold,,and cant see any difference from another buddies Ziess (his words not mine), I would stay with the smaller unit as they can be quite cumbersome in a pack if you get an 80mm one