PDA

View Full Version : turkey 1 - derek 0

derek p
04-22-2007, 02:28 PM
All I can say is, "What a rush!"

Headed out on thurs am to Mark's secret spot. (Insert thank you here):D
Absolutley stunning country, lots of mulies, whitetail and elk, over the course of three days I had them all wander through the clearcut I was camped in.

Woke up the first morning to a LOUD symphony of hens and toms. Flew out of the tent and went after them. Up over the ridge and set up with a hen decoy and calls. After exchanging calls for what seemed like an eternity a tom strutted in and with one glance at the decoy and in my direction bolted and was never seen or heard from again.

Spent the rest of the day scouting and wandering in the bush, enjoying myself and just happy to be hunting. Turned up one lone hen, we spotted each other at the same time and with three quick step downhill and out of site.

The next morning I tried a different area, so out of the tent at 5:00 am and on the road. Came around a corner to find a hen crossing the road, she was in no hurry so I parked a 100 yards away and into the trees I went. This time opted for no decoy just the box call, with a loud call I instantly had a tom gobbling. Followed up by what sounded like a very angry hen. With a few soft purrs and clucks the tom was getting louder and louder. Finally the hen broke into view and had me pinned to the ground, I could not move and I knew the tom wasn't far behind her so I just whistled she turned and hurried down the hill, one very soft call dragged out the tom in full strut at about 30-35 yards, he was putting on quite the show. I don't know what happend but he appeared torn between my calls and the other hen but he was coming no closer, so I let him have it. Feathers flew the dust swirled, I got him, I jumped up and ran towards him and the SOB, got up ran downhill and then into the air he went. I checked the spot where he went down, no blood, a handful of feathers and that's it. From the looks of things he was not hurt bad and should survive.

Dejected I returned to the truck and replayed everything that happened, I don't think I would do anything different except try to exercise more patience.

All in all, an absolulutely awesome experience, having a gobbler walk in on you is enough to send shivers down your spine, unlike any other hunting I have tried yet. :D

sorry for the long read

Derek

300H&H
04-22-2007, 04:06 PM
Good for you Derek.
From talking to other hunters you did better than most. Patients is the key. I know its exceiting but wait for the good shot and after you shoot load another in the chamber just incase he gets up again. I would call this a split desision - TURKEY 01 - DEREK 01. You got him but he got away. Close call.
F.Y.I. Hens can have beards too !

stanway
04-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Way to go Derek! You sound like you had a great time.

I am jealous as I wish I could get out and try turkey hunting as well. One of these years.

Next time you'll get him for sure.

James

Chuck
04-22-2007, 06:47 PM
I'm really beginning to like these stories, no matter how long. Thanks for that experience Derek. Lets hear more you guys and if possible a pic would also be nice. Talked to a couple relatives who've seen a bunch near Trail as well as Nelson and Castlegar. Though not related but just FYI, fishing is picking up on the Columbia as the cicadas are about now.

boxhitch
04-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Derek - not being critical , just trying to figure if my rig is good for more than a 20 yd shot.
What hardware are you using ? good pattern at that range ?

mark
04-22-2007, 09:18 PM
Nice to see you found birds! So then what you gave up and went home??? Like I mentioned before you HAVE to head shoot them, body shots do nothing, and ya reload and be very ready for a follow up shot! Better luck next time, at least you got to have the turkey experience. Thats what its all about really!

derek p
04-22-2007, 09:22 PM
I have been pondering this as well. The hunting rig is as follows:

12 guage remington 870 wingmaster with 28" barrel, with full choke shooting 3" mags high velocity turkey loads # 6 -1/34 ounce.

I tried the # 4 and # 5, but the best consistent pattern at a variety of ranges 15-40 yards was this load.

I may of panicked and shot for too much of the body and not enough of the head. I don't know. The "turkey fever" was identical to the first moose I shot, lots of nerves and not much control. (patience, distance, shot placement)
You know, the factors every hunter should pay attention to, I just didn't listen to my gut instincts on this one.

Derek

derek p
04-22-2007, 09:32 PM
Nice to see you found birds! So then what you gave up and went home??? Like I mentioned before you HAVE to head shoot them, body shots do nothing, and ya reload and be very ready for a follow up shot! Better luck next time, at least you got to have the turkey experience. Thats what its all about really!

I debated staying for another morning, but family and work always seem to get in the way. I decided to make everyone happy, come home early, visit with family, work an extra shift and try to go again this weekend.

mark
04-22-2007, 09:34 PM
We used 3 inch #2's. Worked awesome at 25-30 yards! Yes turkey fever is real!

300H&H
04-23-2007, 09:32 AM
I think I went over kill. I was worried after hearing all these stories of how tough these birds are. So I used 3" magnum BBs. But my bird dropped in it's tracks.
Use a soft PURRRR to bring him in the last 20 yards.

Elkhound
04-23-2007, 09:57 AM
sounds like a blast Derek....you gonna get out again?

derek p
04-23-2007, 04:15 PM
sounds like a blast Derek....you gonna get out again?

If everything works out I will head out again on friday after work and come home sunday afternoon.