PDA

View Full Version : Skeena Water Level?

Marlin375
07-20-2015, 08:07 AM
How is the Skeena this year, in particular west of Terrace?

Heading up next weekend for some Bar fishing and hoping for the best. My daughter and I got rejected with the super high water a couple of years ago. Xrossing my fingers this year and looking forward to a nice piece of beach front:-P.

kilometers
07-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Levels are perfect. Have a blast.

Marlin375
07-20-2015, 08:52 PM
Thanks Kilometers

Caribou_lou
07-21-2015, 07:02 PM
We are getting a bit of rain up this way last couple of days. River may come up a bit and get some colour. Nothing that should make it unfishable. If anything it was getting too clean anyway. Some sockey showing up also. You should have a good Weekend.

Caribou_lou
07-21-2015, 08:17 PM
Just looked at the water levels online and it came up nearly a half meter over night. Any Terrace guys on here to comment on water condition? Still fishable?

kilometers
07-21-2015, 09:34 PM
http://www.noelgyger.ca

check out the live fishing reports here. Updates frequently.
The river looked pretty clean when I drove over it.
I'm Alll about the ocean fishing. Came home with 28 salmon and a dozen cod this weekend between 4 of us

Jrax
07-21-2015, 09:36 PM
sockeye numbers up last 3 days, should be prime by the weekend. Chinook still coming in, and coho and steelhead starting. don't forget the fly rod or bottom bouncing gear for the sockeyes.

albravo2
07-21-2015, 09:39 PM
I was fishing the Nass watershed last weekend and the DFO guys were saying they may shut down the sockeye fishery on the Skeena.

We did good on the Cranberry and Kiteen, though. Springs are moving through in good numbers.

Caribou_lou
07-21-2015, 10:23 PM
http://www.noelgyger.ca

check out the live fishing reports here. Updates frequently.
The river looked pretty clean when I drove over it.
I'm Alll about the ocean fishing. Came home with 28 salmon and a dozen cod this weekend between 4 of us

Im looking for an ocean boat at the moment. Looking to make less trips and come home with more fish!

Marlin375
08-04-2015, 02:09 PM
Camping was good, fishing was good, catching was not.
Very poor for several days. Never been on the bar with so many rods in the water and nothing happening for such a long span of time.
Not even the usual big steelies to fill in the dulldrums.
Some were speculating it might have been the water, it was not high but did have a fair bit of "high water" debri even though the colour was not too bad.
Don't know ....try again next year I guess.

Ride Red
08-25-2015, 11:27 AM
We've just returned from 2 weeks on the Skeena. Fishing was pretty good for all 5 species of salmon and the steelies were great too. Water levels continued to drop the entire time except for a couple days of colour coming from the east. We landed some large chum, coho and sockeye plus some great boating up the tributaries. Most of the people and guides were friendly, but there were still a fair amount of goobers who drug fish up onto the beach without checking what they hooked first. One guide got his ass reamed out by me for pulling a spring up onto the bar in a closed area, then kicking it back in the water. Locals referred to him as "Mike", a guide they've been having problems with. A Kitsumkalum fish officer told me they busted a group from Alberta on China bar with too many rods out, barbed hooks and 9 dead steelhead which they thought were coho. They lost all they're gear, but no fine was issued. Pretty sad in this day and age that some people don't take the time to ID what they have hooked. All in all a great trip to a beautiful area. We're looking forward to another trip sooner this time as the last one was 4 years ago.

The goats must have all been hiding as I couldn't find them in my spotting scope in the usual areas. Even up the Exchamsiks was a bust for goats.

Stainless
08-27-2015, 03:07 PM
We've just returned from 2 weeks on the Skeena. Fishing was pretty good for all 5 species of salmon and the steelies were great too. Water levels continued to drop the entire time except for a couple days of colour coming from the east. We landed some large chum, coho and sockeye plus some great boating up the tributaries. Most of the people and guides were friendly, but there were still a fair amount of goobers who drug fish up onto the beach without checking what they hooked first. One guide got his ass reamed out by me for pulling a spring up onto the bar in a closed area, then kicking it back in the water. Locals referred to him as "Mike", a guide they've been having problems with. A Kitsumkalum fish officer told me they busted a group from Alberta on China bar with too many rods out, barbed hooks and 9 dead steelhead which they thought were coho. They lost all they're gear, but no fine was issued. Pretty sad in this day and age that some people don't take the time to ID what they have hooked. All in all a great trip to a beautiful area. We're looking forward to another trip sooner this time as the last one was 4 years ago.

The goats must have all been hiding as I couldn't find them in my spotting scope in the usual areas. Even up the Exchamsiks was a bust for goats.

Heading out tomorrow for the weekend. Hopefully all the forecasted rain doesn't blow the rivers out.

Ride Red
08-27-2015, 03:32 PM
It doesn't take to much as all the tributaries contribute. It will create a push for the fish though, so fish the creek mouth edges to produce fish. They already have a good run of large coho coming in plus steelies crusin in too. Good luck.