PDA

View Full Version : 300H&H Got a Turkey

300H&H
04-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Well I posted yesterday. I'M HOOKED - TURKEY !!!
Today I got a good tom. His beard is just over 9" , weight is 20lbs , and the spurs are about 1". Not to bad for my first bird and only 3rd morning hunting turkey ever.
The story is the same as yesterday, toms & hens were calling all around me. Again I could not get them in. So after a half hour I walked 75 yards over & called. A tom answered. I turned around & walked back 200 yards calling now & then. Birds kept answering. Back to my original spot & called. The tom was close so I set up by a log & stump. Called again and he came in running at 100 yards. I did a few soft calls to bring him in. at 25 yards I took the safety off. When he went behind a small bush I raised my 12 gauge. He looked up & BOOOM !!! Down went my tom. After about 1-1/2 hours calling I got him. What a great hunt. This must be what its like to call in a elk.
On a interesting note - while I was cleaning him out, on his leg between the skin and meat I found a 22 cal. bullet !!! It was covered with a thick coating of slime/fat. Tough bird. But it finally sucumed to my lead poisoning.:)

The Hermit
04-22-2007, 01:05 PM
Cool! Now how long are you going to hang uncle tom before roasting him up?

300H&H
04-22-2007, 04:20 PM
Hang um ? Heck he's already cut up and on the menu for supper Monday.

Like TURKEY MASTER MARK said "cranberrys & stuffing" :lol: . Yum Yum !
Oh, and BEER.
For me...not the bird.

tracker
04-22-2007, 05:59 PM
congrats 300 H&H :lol:

they are tough to get close to and your persistance sounds like it paid off.
Now you know why it is such a popular game animal[bird] to hunt in the USA.
Glad to here there is also someone else HOOKED to turkey hunting:lol:

300H&H
04-22-2007, 08:36 PM
Hey Tracker, thanks.
Are you setting yourself up for the fall turkey hunt in 8-01 & 8-09 ?
The guys growing grapes are worried. I heard that once a turkey starts to feed on grapes he's hooked. A flock can come in and wipe out the crop. You may want to talk to these guys to get permission to hunt the vineyard this fall. Email me and I will come and do the calls & video your hunt for you.

mark
04-22-2007, 09:11 PM
Hey 300 congrads sounds like you worked for it! Id love to do the fall vinyard hunt if ya know anyone down that way!

derek p
04-22-2007, 09:41 PM
congrats on the turkey. It seems this is the latest craze to sweep across the hunting board. As everyone who has tried can attest, it is a blast.